Pattaya: Huge crowds queue for 200 baht handouts at fresh food market

rooster59

2 minutes ago, SidJames said:

Richard Branson?

The off-shore tax-dodging all around good fellow who sued the NHS for millions when his own failing private healthcare scheme was shut down?

That Branson?

Yes, That's him, capitalist -----------

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

and there Is an alcohol sales ban on to stop gatherings!!!??? total hypocrisy.....

I had heard the idea was to curtail random criminal acts by those who have been imbibing, being left dry at 6pm previously.

14 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Perhaps the Thai govt could do a few things like the U.S. did just after the Great Depression.  Hire hundreds of thousands for conservation and similar infrastructure work programs that would benefit the population in the long run.  Clean the place up, work on roads, sewers and drainage.  Many of those jobs were for 6 months, renewable up to 2 years.  They tried to mobilize the younger workforce. 

if the Thai government can't afford to feed the country's poor, I doubt they can afford large infrastructure projects across the nation.  

The virus crisis may expose this Thai government for the sham they are.  

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 12:02 PM, dunroaming said:

Where we live too.  The stalls now are 2 metres apart and people tend to abide by the distancing rules.

Like this you mean?

Used to be 10-12 stalls - now there are 3 (only 2 in picture)

1293194696_EpsomMarket18-4-2020.jpg.d7c2dfbcf9b46888fb02a4cb1c226701.jpg

On 4/18/2020 at 12:47 PM, Pravda said:

I know Thailand has a lot of manufacturing jobs and other stuff ????, but I'm curious to hear from people on this forum who claim that tourist dollars are not that important to Thai economy. 

it is very important to that economy.....thats why all the big men are worried about NO TOURISTS !!!

On 4/18/2020 at 7:47 AM, Pravda said:

I know Thailand has a lot of manufacturing jobs and other stuff ????, but I'm curious to hear from people on this forum who claim that tourist dollars are not that important to Thai economy. 

They also have factories for cars and computers but since the economy is stalled , they are also impact by this.

22 hours ago, connda said:

Kudos to the businesses who are giving back to the community. 

As far as I can tell, it's the small/medium size businesses which are giving most and trying to help their employees. Very little heard from the multi-billionaire, top 20 crowd.

(Not just here in Thailand, the uber-wealthy worldwide seem to be keeping a very low profile).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

As far as I can tell, it's the small/medium size businesses which are giving most and trying to help their employees. Very little heard from the multi-billionaire, top 20 crowd.

(Not just here in Thailand, the uber-wealthy worldwide seem to be keeping a very low profile).

I have to contradict you here but overseas we were treated to a sing song from the wealthiest musicians in the world online to cheer us up.

You can't get more generous than that, allowing us to watch them for free while they croon from their grand palaces & pontificate about how great they are.

We are blessed indeed that the WHO has time to take calls from Lady Gaga while this is going down.

Maybe they can write a song that has the vaccine in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SidJames said:

I have to contradict you here but overseas we were treated to a sing song from the wealthiest musicians in the world online to cheer us up.

You can't get more generous than that, allowing us to watch them for free while they croon from their grand palaces & pontificate about how great they are.

We are blessed indeed that the WHO has time to take calls from Lady Gaga while this is going down.

Maybe they can write a song that has the vaccine in it.

Alas, I can only give you one "like" for that post.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I believe many are still open. 

Ford, Toyota, Izuzu and Mitsubishi are closed till the end of the month....

How lucky was Chevrolet to <deleted> can its operations just before the WuFlu took hold !!!

On 4/18/2020 at 12:38 PM, actonion said:

There is no social distancing at any of the street markets  in East Pattaya  especially the big market on Soi Siam Country Club which is very busy everyday hundreds of people  zero  social distancing..

I can attest to that. There are great crowds and, contrary to the media's praise for the local population about being diligent in wearing masks, we see many people without face masks. We also hear motorbikes and cars travel through our back roads at night as nobody seems to check on people keeping the curfew. I guess, this is why it is called the 'Dark Side'.

The queues were back at Rompho Market when I went past yesterday, and there wasn't much in the way of cloud to protect them from Mr. Blue Sky and his sun. It must have been very hot indeed queuing there. Also a queue on Thepprasit soi 8 outside the Imagine theatre, but that's closed down so I'm not sure who was giving the food away. Maybe the owners of Momento Beach were making amends for allowing that pool party to go ahead, as it's right next door.

3 hours ago, Oldieonthedarkside said:

We also hear motorbikes and cars travel through our back roads at night as nobody seems to check on people keeping the curfew. I guess, this is why it is called the 'Dark Side'.

The Darkside - A lawless state overlooking Pattaya beach side. Very much akin to Rio de Janeiro's Favela's. The only thing missing on the darkside is a statue of Christ the Redeemer overlooking the city. Enter at your peril.

19 minutes ago, madmen said:

A resteraunt on soi buhakao yesterday was handing out food bags , long line an about 20 pensioner expats in there. Disgusting

Why is that disgusting?  Hunger does not discriminate.  

Edited by Leaver

1 hour ago, El Chapo said:

The Darkside - A lawless state overlooking Pattaya beach side. Very much akin to Rio de Janeiro's Favela's. The only thing missing on the darkside is a statue of Christ the Redeemer overlooking the city. Enter at your peril.

Like Pattaya is a shining example teeming with lawful Christian samaritans! What a larf!