Pattaya: Huge crowds queue for 200 baht handouts at fresh food market

rooster59

Big joke tourists coming back to Pattaya? I doubt whether the Chinese will be coming back quickly and they don't help the local community anyway. I expect about 60% of the bars, which were struggling to start with, won't reopen. 

3 hours ago, fishtank said:

Is this free handout in addition to the 15,000 baht they are all going to recieve from the generous government? ????

I believe it is 5,000 baht a family a month.  My wife's niece has been helping people apply and so far she has arranged for three families to receive the government handout.  Her mother has received two payments so far of 15,000 baht because they have extended business interests including property they rent out.

What you need is a phone (you can see in the above video that many people in are on their phones) and a bank account.  One of the families that the wife's niece helped didn't have a bank account so she went with them to open one.  It was simple enough.

When my wife first told me about the government payments I thought it was the usual load of rubbish you hear.  I have been proved wrong as the payments continue to come through.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Seeing the numbers of people queuing up for 200 Baht gives you an indication of the financial impact this has had on the town. Big thumbs up for the owner of Rumpho market for his generosity, though I doubt even he can afford to keep doing this more than once.

I really believe the government should be mobilising the army to set up field kitchens to keep people fed, especially if they are unable to dish out the monthly 5,000 to the huge numbers in need.

Agree there not acting but remain filthy rich themselves

• Like 2

5 hours ago, actonion said:

There is no social distancing at any of the street markets  in East Pattaya  especially the big market on Soi Siam Country Club which is very busy everyday hundreds of people  zero  social distancing..

and Thailand has hardly any cases compared to the rest of the world.  so maybe every country would have been better off doing herd immunity?

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

I know Thailand has a lot of manufacturing jobs and other stuff ????, but I'm curious to hear from people on this forum who claim that tourist dollars are not that important to Thai economy. 

its important but no more important than it is to a lot of other countries. I think people get carried away on here on how Thailand rely on tourism to keep the country going. there's more to Thailand than pattaya <deleted>

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Susco said:

Have you bothered to look at pictures of markets anywhere else in the world?

FYI, there is no social distancing at any market in the world, because that is nearly impossible, and that is also why they are closed in most countries.

In Thailand closing them down is no option though, because people would die from hunger

Outdoor food markets are open in the UK. The one in my small town operates each Thursday still. Distancing rules being applied as best as possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Outdoor food markets are open in the UK. The one in my small town operates each Thursday still. Distancing rules being applied as best as possible.

Where we live too.  The stalls now are 2 metres apart and people tend to abide by the distancing rules.

• Like 1

It is impossible to control social distancing in Thailand. To do do, baht buses can not carry passengers, motorbikes can not carry passengers other than the driver, and the poor and starving can not stand in line for food given them by private parties cos their gov't does not give a toss whether they eat or not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, essox essox said:

Is this free handout in addition to the 15,000 baht they are all going to recieve from the generous government?

I read many in the entertainment business wink wink don’t qualify for 5000 x 3 months. I read today the monies have all been handed out,,, ??

11 hours ago, Susco said:

FYI, there is no social distancing at any market in the world, because that is nearly impossible, and that is also why they are closed in most countries.

In Thailand closing them down is no option though, because people would die from hunger

Social distancing strictly enforced at 3 markets in Cannes.

Extra spacing between stalls, clear outlines of where people need to stand.

"The Town Hall in Cannes has announced that 3 traditional markets will reopen this Saturday, the 18th of April. They are the Forville, Gambetta and La Bocca food markets. The markets will be accessible to the public every day from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and will feature a limited number of stands. The town hall has published a list of measures which have been put in place to protect merchants and shoppers. They include a barrier around the edge of the market to leave only one entrance and one exit, a minimum spacing between stands of two meters, a marking on the ground in front of each stand delimiting the distance to be respected between the stalls and clients and also between the clients themselves, the taking of the temperature of each customer by means of an infrared thermometer at the entrance and the installation of a table provided with hydro-alcoholic gel with systematic hand disinfection in the presence of a municipal official.

Source is riveriaradio.

Italy also similar

Perhaps the Thai govt could do a few things like the U.S. did just after the Great Depression.  Hire hundreds of thousands for conservation and similar infrastructure work programs that would benefit the population in the long run.  Clean the place up, work on roads, sewers and drainage.  Many of those jobs were for 6 months, renewable up to 2 years.  They tried to mobilize the younger workforce. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Seeing the numbers of people queuing up for 200 Baht gives you an indication of the financial impact this has had on the town. Big thumbs up for the owner of Rumpho market for his generosity, though I doubt even he can afford to keep doing this more than once.

I really believe the government should be mobilising the army to set up field kitchens to keep people fed, especially if they are unable to dish out the monthly 5,000 to the huge numbers in need.

yes, another benefit is only those who absolutely need it is going to queue for so little money,

i think this is a very good solution that i hope get implemented nation wide real real soon

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

This <deleted> shouldn't ever be happening if the government actually tried supporting the Thai people!

And as for philanthropy amongst the uber rich in this country.....greed would never allow them to part with one satang to help the poor

That is harsh, there have been some examples of philanthropy, didn't the owner of Jomtiem's Rhompo open market just hand out a lot of his own cash. It is the government dragging it's heels that is the problem. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Susco said:

The big Sunday market in my town has been closed down.

21 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

This <deleted> shouldn't ever be happening if the government actually tried supporting the Thai people!

And as for philanthropy amongst the uber rich in this country.....greed would never allow them to part with one satang to help the poor

All countries have got their Bransons, not just Thailand.

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

All countries have got their Bransons, not just Thailand.

Richard Branson?

The off-shore tax-dodging all around good fellow who sued the NHS for millions when his own failing private healthcare scheme was shut down?

That Branson?

Edited by SidJames
  • Like 1