Job project management

Hello,

I am an student who has almost completed a degree in construction engineering
I currently live abroad where I spent 1 year as a student with an exchange program and about 7 months as "trainee site engineer" in a massive construction commissioned by a multinational company.

I would like to move to Thailand (Bangkok) and to work in the project management field starting eg. with a internship but I am having some difficulties to find job opportunities probably both because of the several restrictions for the foreigners (especially in the construction field) and the pandemic.

So I would like to know whether there are opportunities for foreigners in the construction management field or other alternatives related to the project management field please.

Thank you!

Edited by blackcab
Font normalised

Get yourself some Work experience locally first. You're dreaming too much at the moment based on your current employability rating but that's not a bad thing. The World can always do with more dreamers.

Prove you can do the job close to home before you think about taking those skills and proving in another country. No one will take you on from overseas with your limited experience when there are plenty of locals who can do it that speak both English and the local language.

I would also suggest you start working on building up your languages along side your working skills.

I speak from experience here having fluency in 7 languages and working as an International PM.

I started in my home country, built up my industry knowledge, studied additional languages in my spare time. then expanded into work in other countries where my fluent English, local language knowledge and solid PM experience gave me an employment edge there.

Good luck..

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, if you are experienced and good at a job, you can make a very good living here.

It may be a good living HERE, but the experience is not so recognized in the west, nor is the money you earn.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

It may be a good living HERE, but the experience is not so recognized in the west, nor is the money you earn.  

Where do you get this wisdom from? Ever worked here having a good job?

People who work for a multinational are getting Western standard money.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

And in other jobs, all depends on how much responsibility, qualifications and experience you have.

I accept there are many expats working in Thailand, and are on good money, but the OP is a Project Manager.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I accept there are many expats working in Thailand, and are on good money, but the OP is a Project Manager.  

No, he wants to be one. There are very well paid Project Managers. There is a wide variety of Project Managers, managing very small projects (not much money) to very big projects (lots of money).

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

Project Management is one of the types of work where quite a lot of farangs are employed and there is still quite a lot of demand for them. The problem will be your lack of experience and convincing a company to take a punt on you.

Still the best way to find work as an expat is to get your boots on the ground and knock on doors, go to chamber events, industry events etc. You might have to veer away from project management a little bit and accept a crappy job to start with but it is much easier to find a second job when you are already employed.

Project Managers can take a little bit more risk on employing people as they can cost you out to clients on PM work they are already committed to working on. 5% here, 10% there etc.

Good Luck.

• Like 1