What car do you drive in Thailand?

On 4/19/2020 at 9:38 AM, AndyAndyAndy said:

I moved to Thailand in my very early twenties. So I didn't get a chance to own a car back in my country. And then it took a few years to set up my life here. So here I am with my first car... .

I also purchased my first car in Thailand, at the age of 20. I had 3-4 years of driving experience behind my belt at that time, but it was fairly minimal until I purchased my own car. It was a Mitsubishi Lancer with body kit and brand new Recaro seats. Later got a VIGO (brand new), then Mitsubishi Triton 4x4 extra cab, then sold that when I moved to the States. Later on, returning to Thailand I purchased a brand new Isuzu D-Max v-cross 4x4 dual cab top version manual transmission. Quite happy with it right now. Like the latest version that came out in November of last year, but will wait a little until the end of the year to see which models get a facelift by then. Had originally been considering the Chevy Colorado, but unfortunately, they will be leaving Thai shores at the end of the year and besides, compared to the likes of Isuzu and Toyota, Chevy sucks.

Have also owned 2 motorcycles in Thailand (I own one now)...when I first started spending time in Thailand, got the motorcycle first and had that for a year, then added the car. Ended up keeping the motorcycle for 6 years before selling it prior to buying a new one. Also added the VIGO while I still had the Lancer, then reluctantly agreed to sell that so my then girlfriend could go for a year abroad in France. I figured I don't need two cars and 1 motorcycle for essentially one driver (me). However, I wouldn't agree to do that if I were in the same situation today.

To this day, the only country I've ever owned an automobile or motorcycle in has been Thailand, but that's due to my extensive length of residence here and the fact that when I was younger, I either didn't need to buy one in my then country of residence or I didn't have enough money.

Edited by drbeach

12 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Prerunner was initially introduced as a 4x4 lookalike. 

It came in manual only and 2x4.

I feel now it comes in automatic but still only 2x4. 

Wasn't the Champ the model with suicide doors. 

Car in the first post (4 doors) is Champ. So it's not suicide doors.

2017 Mits Triton (Ltd Edition)

Actually, I have to leave Thailand soon and won’t be back for 2 years. I like this car so much that I’m wanting to store it here somewhere rather than selling and buying another when I get back.

Let me know if you or anyone can store it. Happy to pay storage and happy to GIVE the car to you if I cark it or can’t return for any reason, as no family here to leave in will and family in falangland not interested coming to Thailand to sell it. Cost me just under 1 million baht. Only 25k on clock. Not a scratch on it and only ever driven by retired old expat   in isaan provinces. 

32A57087-4E34-4DFF-9344-DF2290E86880.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Champ also came in Xtra Cab/smart cab (suicide doors).

So what's the difference between these three?

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0 Prerunner

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0 Champ

All 3 looks exactly the same, can have 2/suicide/4 doors, I can't find a difference... .?

4 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0

All 3 looks exactly the same, can have 2/suicide/4 doors, I can't find a difference... .?

Different spec levels I assume.

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Your reply also applies to the OP..... who give's a flying ....... that he purchased a 2nd hand pickup.

No it doesn't and You Know it. And I don't care . It just childish that that One has to mention that one has more Vehicles than The OP.   ????

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

No it doesn't and You Know it. And I don't care . It just childish that that One has to mention that one has more Vehicles than The OP.   ????

Should I also mention the motor bikes... maybe even through the project car into the mix ?

25 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

You need a hug from your mummy ?

Nah not at the moment . I wish I could but she's Gone .If she's as good as when she was Alive she will be  chasing Satan around his Domain. He will be Sorry that he let dear old Moms Soul in. Rip. :mfr_closed1:  

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Nice to drive but very small rear door opening and luggage space !!

Get the Mazda 3 sedan instead... decent sized boot.

Memory drivers seat, radar cruise control, Apple Carplay, and the carplay/Infotainment screen controls are very good - buttons and a dial not touchscreen - with 'proper' buttons for air con control too.

The Apple Carplay is wired - but have made it wireless with a CPLay2Air adaptor. This has a USB outlet so can plug in a Qi charge pad, so wireless Carplay and wireless charger is easy enough to do.

https://carplay2air.com

and a Qi charger like this one which fits nicely in the centre console below dashboard

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZZX37F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_6353.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VYCM said:

This scares me.

I lived and worked in Malaysia for a few years, had a Proton - company car.

What an awful piece of <deleted>.

I don't see any difference between buying a foreign brand Made in Malaysia vs Made in Thailand. 

Proton however is dismal and fit only for the crusher. But that's a Bumi Malaysia government pride project to build a 'national car' that has been riddled with corruption from the get go. Also riddled with rust because the chassis/body rust proofing gig went to a buddy of the government.

11 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

XC40 Looks Upmarket like a CRV, the others except Ford look like Trucks with a Conservatory on the back. 

I like XC40 and the full EV Recharge should be a decent EV for use mainly in Bangkok. I've got a CRV (the 2.4 petrol one). Very comfortable but as exciting as a cabbage. The current model also has a stupid third row of seats which are usable only by infants or dwarves, and take up a big chunk of boot space when not in use. The previous model had way more boot space and less bloated styling. I had one of those and traded it for this new one. Big mistake.

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

I don't see any difference between buying a foreign brand Made in Malaysia vs Made in Thailand. 

Proton however is dismal and fit only for the crusher. But that's a Bumi Malaysia government pride project to build a 'national car' that has been riddled with corruption from the get go. Also riddled with rust because the chassis/body rust proofing gig went to a buddy of the government.

I like XC40 and the full EV Recharge should be a decent EV for use mainly in Bangkok. I've got a CRV (the 2.4 petrol one). Very comfortable but as exciting as a cabbage. The current model also has a stupid third row of seats which are usable only by infants or dwarves, and take up a big chunk of boot space when not in use. The previous model had way more boot space and less bloated styling. I had one of those and traded it for this new one. Big mistake.

Everyone has likes n dislikes about their purchase. I had a few Supercars {another silly name} but got a few cutting comments from friends because i always used the Wifes Volvo Estates or whatever she had. Why, because it wasnt a Pain in the But to get in and out,doors didnt need an extra parking space, good visibility, and the Dogs could come with me at  weekends to the Pub..When the Kids were Young a Truck would have sufficed. There is no Vehicle that fits all tastes imo..

14 hours ago, Don Mega said:
14 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0

Different spec levels I assume.

With Toyota's it's sometimes just different badges in different places... same spec.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 12:32 PM, Assurancetourix said:

And this car is a real Isuzu ;

why ?

( I remind you that Isuzu never made a sedan )

Photo shot in Khon Kaen 

2192575_PB210130_Khon_Kaen(Copy).thumb.JPG.128c9a8c97d1398835192bbcdfdc3523.JPG

Isuzu have made sedans in the past, but probably not this one.  

• Thanks 1

seems you got a really good deal on the Toyota ,especially for the year and mileage and a 4 door  !   was is bought private or dealer?

AT models go for more and of course any urgrade versions ie leather seats . 2 door models are much cheaper .

I have a 2005 "elegance" 4 door model AT , top model ,  paid a bit over the odds but these vehicles are much sought after and hold their value   

1 hour ago, Jen65 said:

seems you got a really good deal on the Toyota ,especially for the year and mileage and a 4 door  !   was is bought private or dealer?

AT models go for more and of course any urgrade versions ie leather seats . 2 door models are much cheaper .

I have a 2005 "elegance" 4 door model AT , top model ,  paid a bit over the odds but these vehicles are much sought after and hold their value   

It's from the dealer (second hand car selling company).

But I found it at the internet (one2car.com) and it was the best deal in the area. I didn't aim to buy from the dealer. It just happened to was being sold by one.

Edited by AndyAndyAndy

On 4/20/2020 at 10:18 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

Suzuki Swift. ????

Delightful little car.....

Sure it's not in the same class and doesn't stack up to the previous cars I've owned, such as Mercedes 350 SL, an Audi V6 Quatro, VW Passat, two BMW's, a couple of Saabs with one of them being the top range 9-5 sports, and countless others from the UK, NZ and even Italy.........but as something small and nippy here, for a single guy like me, the Suzuki Swift is brilliant.

I can highly recommend it.

• Like 1

I had enough of that tinted windshield. While driving yesterday I wouldn't see a single cyclist until they were literally next to my car. And when meeting drivers from other directions all window would get extremely dark (expect their lights) and I would have to almost stop, because I wouldn't see a road in front of me. I just cut and ripped off third of that tint foil. I will try it tonight.

IMG_20200427_133742.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 7:16 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0

Usually it is Toyota's mid life upgrades. My 2010 Vigo has a 4 speed auto gear box, the Champ has a 5. All the switches were changed on the Champ dashboard. New grill and lights, rear aircon, maybe a few more cup holders. 

On mine only 3 air scoops, Champ has 4, etc etc

IMG_20200427_142651.jpg

Edited by phutoie2
error
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Usually it is Toyota's mid life upgrades. My 2010 Vigo has a 4 speed auto gear box, the Champ has a 5. All the switches were changed on the Champ dashboard. New grill and lights, rear aircon, maybe a few more cup holders. 

On mine only 3 air scoops, Champ has 4, etc etc

IMG_20200427_142651.jpg

Yes, that seems about right.

Hilux Vigo Champ - Hilux is their name for the pick up truck and never changes, second position (Vigo) changes after some milestone (like in 2015 they changed it for Revo) and third position changes quiet often (Champ, Rocco, Prerunner) and means just some minor updates, and it is always available in 4x4/RWD and in manual/auto (name itself doesn't specify transmission, wheelsdriven, fuel type)

12 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Yes, that seems about right.

Hilux Vigo Champ - Hilux is their name for the pick up truck and never changes, second position (Vigo) changes after some milestone (like in 2015 they changed it for Revo) and third position changes quiet often (Champ, Rocco, Prerunner) and means just some minor updates, and it is always available in 4x4/RWD and in manual/auto (name itself doesn't specify transmission, wheelsdriven, fuel type)

Same with the Toyota Altis its first name is Corolla