What car do you drive in Thailand?

I bought a pickup Isizu 3000cc , Automatic gears  1o and a half years ago ;

it has now nearly 200,000 km .

I bought a new set of tyres at 127,000 km ;

and it have already 3 batteries ;

don't know why the electric batteries cannot get old more than 3 years in this country ...

All the other parts are genuine ;

I'll ask Isuzu to change the brake pads and linings for drum brakes overhaul of 200,000 km .

January 2010

193950399_DSCN2187_Sawang(Copy).thumb.JPG.61cbf2195223de7e587aa0ac2ec3b09a.JPG

March 2016

P3190831_Sawang_pickup.thumb.jpg.64dc2efefb714a9dc8e17c015b11ad2e.jpg

Sept 2019 coming back from Prachuap Khiri Khan ; here it's between Saraburi and Khorat

P1080334_road_2_Saraburi_Khorat.thumb.JPG.700ed7984dcecc72ee4834b7e750132a.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:
4 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Take a look at the new CX-8, I love mine.

I did, it's nice, maybe a bit too big for me though.

I see there is a new CX30, know anything about that?

No not really, just that is a little too small for our needs.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:
4 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

No not really, just that is a little too small for our needs.

Says between CX3 and CX5, exactly what would have bought a couple of years ago. 

CX3 slight small in the back seat. 

The captain seats in the back of the CX8 are amazing and plenty of cargo space if you fold the back row down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I got 16 months with my battery, new mazda CX3!

I put the reduced battery life down to the climate here and that people do not check the fluid level in there battery until it is time for a full vehicle service and by then the battery has lost most of the fluid be evaporation and if the fluid level is not checked and allowed to drop too low then that will shorten the life of the battery. I check my battery every week and keep it topped up and my batteries normally last for 4 years.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I bought a pickup Isizu 3000cc , Automatic gears  1o and a half years ago ;

it has now nearly 200,000 km .

I bought a new set of tyres at 127,000 km ;

and it have already 3 batteries ;

don't know why the electric batteries cannot get old more than 3 years in this country ...

All the other parts are genuine ;

I'll ask Isuzu to change the brake pads and linings for drum brakes overhaul of 200,000 km .

January 2010

193950399_DSCN2187_Sawang(Copy).thumb.JPG.61cbf2195223de7e587aa0ac2ec3b09a.JPG

March 2016

P3190831_Sawang_pickup.thumb.jpg.64dc2efefb714a9dc8e17c015b11ad2e.jpg

Sept 2019 coming back from Prachuap Khiri Khan ; here it's between Saraburi and Khorat

P1080334_road_2_Saraburi_Khorat.thumb.JPG.700ed7984dcecc72ee4834b7e750132a.JPG

31 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

we were just on that road last month !   I would like to get an auto izuzu PU  (spacecab)

i guess you have good things to say about the engine and ride ?

The Toyota was way too bouncy for my use 

22 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I put the reduced battery life down to the climate here and that people do not check the fluid level in there battery until it is time for a full vehicle service and by then the battery has lost most of the fluid be evaporation and if the fluid level is not checked and allowed to drop too low then that will shorten the life of the battery. I check my battery every week and keep it topped up and my batteries normally last for 4 years.

That and not popping the bonnet/hood after any lengthy drive, especially at this time of year. It does look all a bit anorak in front of any given 7 eleven at any given PTT pump station with Somchais staring lovingly at their popping and tinking engines while the rest of the tribe has a slash or feeds their faces.

I read somewhere that although under-bonnet/hood temperatures are mostly well within spec when the vehicle is beetling along, that temperature can soar to (battery) water-boiling degrees within minutes of park up and engine kill. Better to park up, pop the hood/bonnet, let it idle for a minute (turbo's love that too apparently) then turn it off, lock up and join the tribe, leaving the engine compartment open to be admired by indolent Somchais.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2020 at 9:37 AM, tonray said:

Toyota Altis....well the taxi guy drives ...I just sit in the back and bark orders in pigeon Thai

actually Altis holds its resale value pretty well because Taxi's love them... and I learned a lot of language in the back seat of a taxi... 

10 minutes ago, rumak said:

It's almost a truck;
the new Isuzu are even better than the one we bought 10 years ago.
In fact "better" I don't know.
I bought a big engine because I was a trucker in my old life and I know that big engines turn more slowly than small ones, they generally have more torque too.
When driving between 85 and 95 km / h I am at my maximum torque and I only consume around 6 liters diesel per hundred kilometers.
and if I am pushed by the wind as it happens from time to time, I manage to go down to 5 liters per hundred ..
If the majority of road users overtake me, it's their problem, not mine.
I ride like I've always driven since 1975

(before I was pretty bad, lead foot and straight line is the shortest way so a lot of turns in the middle of the road or even on the left (in France we are supposed drive right).

So our Isuzu 3 liter and auto gearbox is fantastic; never had the slightest problem except for batteries; this is the fourth in just over 10 years.

Retired here in 2011. An acquaintance was downsizing as a result of divorce in 2012-2013 so I bought some of his furniture and his 2002 Honda CR-V. I am the 3rd owner and the car has been well maintained by all owners. Great car that I have driven all over Thailand. Never had the money for a brand new car but have had good luck with used cars since my first one in 1965.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

2018 Mercedes-Benz S560 Coupe and Cabriolet: Thai price and specs

I still wonder how people can drive any car that is not German ? Maybe only because they never tried and don't know what is a turbo ?

Thought German manufacturers were struggling..........If you are right, then it's a bit strange they are struggling eh....????

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2020 at 9:41 AM, AndyAndyAndy said:

I thought that 4x4 is bought just once. Then people realize it's useless to them/expensive/another thing to break and take care of and move on.... .

That might be the case for someone like you who has just bought their first car but having bought my first car in 1967 I think by now I have worked out the sort of car I need.

So for that reason about four years ago with the imminent arrival of a child we decided to buy an SUV at the time we owned a Toyota Hilux and a Camry Hybrid

We evaluated all models except the “ luxury” models read the reviews and conducted test drives including the Fortuna with which I was familiar.

For us the Ford Everest 3.2 came out on top and although the most expensive that is what we bought.

We have not been disappointed and have travelled extensively throughout Thailand.

Where we live requires us to travel over a mountain range with many bends in the road and one lane each side whether we go north or south.

This vehicle is perfect for the terrain.

So in conclusion yes it was expensive, doesn’t seem to break, has to be taken care of as does every car and the only time I will be moving on is when it is time to buy another

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Let me know when you start the thread:

1.  What kind of helicopter do you fly?

2.  What kind of yacht do you have?

3.  Show us pictures of your castle

or, for more reality,

1.  Pictures of the bridge you live under

2. Mother's basement pictures

3.  How to spend your last 20 baht

i owned a lot of Audi's ....   omg, expensive to fix.  had a BMW that seemed to break every week.   honda was garbage.  suzuki was ok until it wasn't.  datsun was ok, i think.  Suburu was overrated...  

now i'll just walk

Dude this is the best thread in weeks, so refreshing there is no mention of the 'C' word......

Can't go wrong with Toyota....before retirement I drove Benz courtesy of the company, bur they are disastrously expensive here. I had a Toyota Crown when I lived in Japan.....beat the Merc by a mile....so I became a Toyota customer. I had a Vigo prerunner....150k no problems at all...great dealership. My only issue was the clutch was a bit hard and I have very tender feet courtesy of illness. I now have a 2019 auto diesel 'Rocco'...they have made a few refinements such as rear view camera...but basically the same vehicle with a 2.8 instead of 3.0 liter engine. I've done 30K no issues at all. 

I thing this babies with do 500K if you want to run them into the ground...sturdy and well built...solid engine and good handling. 

34 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Can't go wrong with Toyota....before retirement I drove Benz courtesy of the company, bur they are disastrously expensive here. I had a Toyota Crown when I lived in Japan.....beat the Merc by a mile....so I became a Toyota customer. I had a Vigo prerunner....150k no problems at all...great dealership. My only issue was the clutch was a bit hard and I have very tender feet courtesy of illness. I now have a 2019 auto diesel 'Rocco'...they have made a few refinements such as rear view camera...but basically the same vehicle with a 2.8 instead of 3.0 liter engine. I've done 30K no issues at all. 

I thing this babies with do 500K if you want to run them into the ground...sturdy and well built...solid engine and good handling. 

Any idea what "Prerunner" means? I thought it's name of 2 wheel drive versions. But that is not a case. Also what "Champ" means?

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0 Prerunner

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0 Champ

What's the difference?

18 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Any idea what "Prerunner" means? I thought it's name of 2 wheel drive versions. But that is not a case. Also what "Champ" means?

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0 Prerunner

Toytota Hilux Vigo 3.0 Champ

What's the difference?

Prerunner was initially introduced as a 4x4 lookalike. 

It came in manual only and 2x4.

I feel now it comes in automatic but still only 2x4. 

Wasn't the Champ the model with suicide doors. 

Edited by VYCM