Egg farmers' SOS to government

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

Just read in a German paper that in a wealthy part of Hamburg some of the wealthy residents gave money to their small local shops to keep them alive until they are allowed to reopen.  

Alot of cultures have learned  that sharing wealth creates a positive sense of community, and a spirit of kindness and generosity rewards itself. Do the wealthy in Thailand have any concept of this, whatsoever? Or is it only me, me and mine?

9 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Only in the stores because people swamped the supply to horde them. There was never a 'real' shortage.

The worst flood I've experienced in 22 years was in 2011. Yingluck's government was in charge.  I'm not defending the 'soldiers', I'm just not agreeing that the floods are their fault. 

There have been many civilian governments that have spent all their time squabbling and protesting, not doing 'anything' to fix the problems. 

Da*N straight!  :clap2:

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot of cultures have learned  that sharing wealth creates a positive sense of community, and a spirit of kindness and generosity rewards itself. Do the wealthy in Thailand have any concept of this, whatsoever? Or is it only me, me and mine?

If there is a photo Op or publicity I would think so. Anonymously don’t think so. 

Edited by holy cow cm

3 hours ago, timendres said:

This is what happens when governments micromanage free markets.

As much as I dislike this government and think they are totally incompetent, they had absolutely nothing to do with this one. The export ban was enacted because some idiot doctor 4 weeks ago made a statement that the wax coating on egg shells would protect them from the virus. Within hours eggs started disappearing from the shelves, huge queues began to form as egg hoarding got underway. For 2 weeks there was not an egg to be had anywhere in most of the supply chain. The government was right to ban exports at that time.

It was totally predictable that a glut of eggs would soon follow. Nobody needs eggs right now because they still have huge stockpiles. This is just about the right time for it too. Soon all those eggs they bought at the end of March will start to go bad and egg normalcy will return. As long as the price stabilizes and egg buyers do not go crazy again, there is no longer a reason to keep the export ban in place.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Monomial said:

As much as I dislike this government and think they are totally incompetent, they had absolutely nothing to do with this one. The export ban was enacted because some idiot doctor 4 weeks ago made a statement that the wax coating on egg shells would protect them from the virus. Within hours eggs started disappearing from the shelves, huge queues began to form as egg hoarding got underway. For 2 weeks there was not an egg to be had anywhere in most of the supply chain. The government was right to ban exports at that time.

It was totally predictable that a glut of eggs would soon follow. Nobody needs eggs right now because they still have huge stockpiles. This is just about the right time for it too. Soon all those eggs they bought at the end of March will start to go bad and egg normalcy will return. As long as the price stabilizes and egg buyers do not go crazy again, there is no longer a reason to keep the export ban in place.

Have worked free lance in farming since the 1980's, mostly with chicken and duck in different countries.

Wax coating ?   I think you are confusing duck eggs with chicken eggs.    Duck eggs by nature have a kind of wax coating, this is to protect the eggs as ducks naturally live near water, the coating prevents water affecting the egg.
However, in Thailand markets you will normally see duck eggs that have been "cleaned" by removing the wax coating, this could put the consumer at risk.    Dirty duck eggs should only be wiped with a damp cloth.
Obviously the doctor who spread the rumour knew nothing about eggs.

4 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Eggsactly what I was talking about with my wife.  Eggsellent point about the duck eggs.  Eggsorbitant prices thought during the panic. Three trays of chicken eggs is enough for us. Any more and they would go bad before we used them. 

An excellent point about only buying what you can use.

Eggs can be hatchery rejects.     If the shell cuticle ( wax ) has been removed completely this could have been washed in chlorine to make them easier to hatch; and of course more sterile outside to avoid infection in the hatchery.
Different colours of commercial duck eggs are generally white or green or greeny blue from Indian Runners.  They are just from different breeds.  

Nutritionally duck eggs are about twice that of chicken eggs.    

Cholesterol can be twice as high too !

Duck eggs are probably the best for cake making.