Daily new cases must fall below 10 to contain Covid-19

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

It hasn't but a theory has been put forward that high humidity slows down the movement of the virus.

The moisture in the air acts as a barrier to airborne particles.

Apparently it is also the Vitamin D that the sun in a tropical climate produces in the body, which bolsters the immune system to a significant degree. 

4 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Well all I know is I am here. I have direct access to the situation with PPE and I also have over 20 years experience in import an export from Asia so I know very well that there will absolutely be a global shortage. Different countries have different situations, populations and severity of the virus, therefore they may not have a shortage,, but to you the headline says what it says so must be true... The idea of herd immunity was not practiced, it was discussed by a medical professor and in fact it is correct but clearly the lockdown shows the UK government are not relying on herd immunity, my being indoors for over a month tells me that,,  but again  you read the tabloids so must be right. Just carry on reading and cherry picking stories to match your predetermined view. I will stick to the facts. 

What part of "I don't read them" you don't understand? What was your IQ?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hundreds-of-private-jets-fly-into-uk-from-coronavirus-hotspots-cgdnlljbp?fbclid=IwAR2Hi5CmJ6MBrURYb_BHrNxgwl84Yfd3U9za8Pq2RTxWDwSoEIvNQDdKqhE

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 2

From the website of Thailand's department for disease control as reported by the W.H.O. on 19 April:

"Total number of people who met the criteria of patients under investigation (PUI) 40,897.

Sought medical services on their own at hospitals 40,145." (That represents 98.2% of all PUI).

So, local officials presumably found the other 1.8% of PUI. That doesn't sound like a lot of legwork being done to me. Sounds more like they wait for cases to show up. Also, this suggests that a maximum of 40,145 have been tested, and of course many of them multiple times. Nothing like 100,000 people have been tested. So. it's probably more like 1 person in every 1,600 that has actually been tested. 

How many migrant workers or people living in slums are among Thailand's 2,792 reported cases? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Well all I know is I am here. I have direct access to the situation with PPE and I also have over 20 years experience in import an export from Asia so I know very well that there will absolutely be a global shortage. Different countries have different situations, populations and severity of the virus, therefore they may not have a shortage,, but to you the headline says what it says so must be true... The idea of herd immunity was not practiced, it was discussed by a medical professor and in fact it is correct but clearly the lockdown shows the UK government are not relying on herd immunity, my being indoors for over a month tells me that,,  but again  you read the tabloids so must be right. Just carry on reading and cherry picking stories to match your predetermined view. I will stick to the facts. 

Here a BBC view:

Edited by FritsSikkink

20 minutes ago, Sunderland said:
From the website of Thailand's department for disease control as reported by the W.H.O. on 19 April:

"Total number of people who met the criteria of patients under investigation (PUI) 40,897.

Sought medical services on their own at hospitals 40,145." (That represents 98.2% of all PUI).

So, local officials presumably found the other 1.8% of PUI. That doesn't sound like a lot of legwork being done to me. Sounds more like they wait for cases to show up. Also, this suggests that a maximum of 40,145 have been tested, and of course many of them multiple times. Nothing like 100,000 people have been tested. So. it's probably more like 1 person in every 1,600 that has actually been tested. 

How many migrant workers or people living in slums are among Thailand's 2,792 reported cases? 

Another bar stool scientist, without any science knowledge. What do / did you for a living?

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Sunderland said:

So. 98.2% of all (identified) patients sought hospital treatment of the own volition...?

Why don't I believe one word of that?

8 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Younger people should be allowed to mix more freely together, in order to confer herd immunity. Very few will suffer anything more than mild symptoms.

The problem is limiting their contact with the older generation, who are overwhelmingly the most at-risk group in terms of virus-related deaths.. Easier said than done, unfortunately, in Thailand's numerous multi-generational households.

As you say, that's a problem here as a lot of grandparents / maids raise the kids as the parents are out working / not around. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Getting tired to inform people who can't / won't read information available but make up their own "truth" 

As it would appear do you

You do understand in order for a second/third wave of a virus to be treated to a 'normal flu' epidemic there would have to be a high percentage of first wave infection. The UK starting out on the herd immunity position then slowing the transmission rate with lock down may yet turn out to be a reasonable handling of the situation, be it engineered or just a lucky break.

You appear to be a severe critic of the UK but the government is handling the situation well enough to leave people, perhaps a little miffed, but adhering in the main to the controls in place, many working from home, others paid furlough, in general while some business may be suffering the population is not.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rumak said:

By all means.  Segregate the old and infirm and anyone else that wishes.   Then those who are willing to be part of the herd immunity will be free to do so at their own risk.

Whatcha think ?

Sounds good to me.  Seems to be working in Sweden.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:33 PM, spidermike007 said:

The people of Thailand have to be able to make a living, and feed their families. It is easy for these typically wealthy ministers and advisors to recommend very long economic shutdowns, but the pain it is causing the masses is untold. And the subsidy program is not working, with about 80% of the people who apply being rejected. It demonstrates the lack of concern and lack of sincerity of the leadership here. 

i also cannot get 80% furlough and now wai to see if i get self employed if i dont get that i will have to sign on when i get back , i not signed on for over 20 years in uk 

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Getting tired to inform people who can't / won't read information available but make up their own "truth" 

I understand, there are limits to all things.

Nevertheless, pointing out where someone is in error is usually better than just saying something which calls them an idiot. Or sometimes it's better to remain silent, though I know how hard that can be.

8 hours ago, mikosan said:

What's your IQ got to do with this.  And anyway, if I had an IQ as low as 136, I wouldn't be boasting about it. 555

Well, statistically, 136 is quite high - about sigma 3 IIRC. Not to be boasted about certainly but then boasting isn't an admirable trait anyway. Unless you're Thai, then anything over 100 is worth at least a small brag.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

This virus mutates and it kills, medical teams are in a difficult situation as are governments, there is a concerted effort to fight the virus unfortunately people will die. 

Edited by 473geo

Hi , can't quote the sources right now but previous studies showed that the UV from sunlight neutralizes Corona viruses. Kill is not the correct term. Also influenza viruses have had similar results. Surfs up ! 

On 4/20/2020 at 8:28 PM, spidermike007 said:

Apparently it is also the Vitamin D that the sun in a tropical climate produces in the body, which bolsters the immune system to a significant degree. 

This virus prospers in humid conditions fact.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:59 AM, spidermike007 said:

False. Both humidity and heat beat this thing down like a street punk against a trained fighter. 

Numbers have sky rocketed  in hot climates. Your opinion not mine. Philippines humid numbers big. I'm no scientist but from observation l take extra care. 

7 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

Numbers have sky rocketed  in hot climates. Your opinion not mine. Philippines humid numbers big. I'm no scientist but from observation l take extra care. 

The only places in the tropics where the numbers have skyrocketed are India, the PI, Brazil, Malaysia and Indonesia. Mexico to a lesser extent. Still, relatively low numbers in comparison to their populations. And in the case of India, Brazil and Indonesia, you had governments in total denial until it was too late, and huge populations, over massive areas. In the case of the PI, as usual, you had massive incompetence at the government level, combined with a really poor health care system. In Malaysia it was about the government allowing the Mullahs to dictate policy, and allow the Mosques to continue. Most of their spread happened there. 

Heat, humidity and the vitamin D absorbed through the skin are huge allies against the Covid battle. 

Edited by spidermike007