Don't reopen yet, governors tell Trump as coronavirus deaths cross 40,000

webfact

3 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Damn that mainstream media. We both know infowars.com is where you go for the truth ????

Throw in a sheeple and a Big Pharma comment, and you win the Tin Foil Hat trifecta. 

No.  Have you studied ownership of the media seriously?  Not just TV - also newspapers, books, music, film, etc.  I wrote a paper on this - well sourced (got an A on the paper and the course) - and the ownership-concentration has increased greatly in the intervening decades.

And, yeah, "Big Pharma" doesn't lobby Congress, or decide what studies get funded - right?  The wealthy never "scheme" to maximize profits.  They pay lobbyists, and fund PR-campaigns, because ... ???

Hopefully if Trump gives some powers to the governors and things start to open it will set a precedent for others. 

I believe what China more or less did is essentially gather the sick as much as they could,

"identify and isolate" problem areas, so the the non problem areas could get back to normal life.

What is going on now is lunacy.

There must be many areas that never had any real outbreak at all, who are under these dark age restrictions and being encouraged to panic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The problem with this analysis, is that every time we get more complete data on populations, we find out that FAR MORE people were infected, yet never had any symptoms.

Nice analysis by the way, BUT ... you just run the numbers everyday. This is a problem ??  It is part of statistical analysis. 

Edited by LomSak27

3 minutes ago, samran said:

Is this the same trump telling everyone he knew more about this than just about everyone else? Were the who advising him in the oval office? 

blame and deflection. 

Ok - so in your view, Trump should have quickly become an expert on infectious disease - personally verified the CDC's "working tests" really worked as they told him they did - written his own projection-models to counter the "experts" insane (in retrospect) models, etc. 

Basically, you are saying Trump should have IGNORED what the WHO, CDC, Fauci, etc were telling him - so he could have made better decsions?  Yet whenever he says anything off-script from the mainstream, you attack him for that.

Then, when his only outlet to rebut the lies of the MSM is his news-conferences, he is attacked for using that opportunity to describe what his administration HAS done, which the MSM don't report.

I don't even like Trump.  I wish we had an Honest Media who would go after him for his broken campaign-promises.

1 minute ago, pookondee said:

There must be many areas that never had any real outbreak at all, who are under these dark age restrictions and being encouraged to panic.

I am sure you are right about this. But the problem is how to solve this?

Should every town and every village decide the rules? Or every household?

Thinking people have no problem understanding that in some areas the risk is high and in others it's low. And they can adjust their behavior accordingly. But unfortunately there are many people who can't think or don't want to think. They somehow believe everything will be somehow alright. Let them do what they want to do and it won't end well.

It's similar to speed restrictions on roads. Sensitive people know which speed is reasonable. But some idiots just don't care or think they are invincible. That's why there are traffic rules.

Just now, pookondee said:

Hopefully if Trump gives some powers to the governors and things start to open it will set a precedent for others. 

Have no clue what you a re on about. This needs Federal, Executive leadership. Which is what happens when you get a hurricane, earthquake or a war. Instead we have the Trump Doctrine. No Federal leadership, put responsibility on and blame the states. My God.

This is shaping up as the biggest crisis since the World Wars and what we get is Trumps version of the blame game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Have no clue what you a re on about. This needs Federal, Executive leadership. Which is what happens when you get a hurricane, earthquake or a war. Instead we have the Trump Doctrine. No Federal leadership, put responsibility on and blame the states. My God.

This is shaping up as the biggest crisis since the World Wars and what we get is Trumps version of the blame game.

This broad-brush personal-attack stuff is so tiring.  I am a POLICY guy - don't give a flip about politicians/personalities. 

What, in your view, is wrong with the federal guidelines which were recently rolled-out?  Too lax - too strict?  Please be specific. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

The American system is based on argument and compromise. This problem, die is you do and die is you don't, needs parties on both sides to push on each other to find the correct, best, middle path.  Dictatorial does not work well when facing two untenable choices. 

Just now, JackThompson said:

This broad-brush personal-attack stuff is so tiring.  I am a POLICY guy - don't give a flip about politicians/personalities. 

What, in your view, is wrong with the federal guidelines which were recently rolled-out?  Too lax - too strict?  Please be specific. 

So you broad brush it, and answer nothing. Gee, not surprised.  Deflection 101 must teach that. If you want to open up states from lockdown has to be done with tests. Or infections will happen. He has been urged for 3 weeks or  a month to invoke Defense Production Act, specifically for virus tests. He says yes, he says no, he twits, he tw-ts. And does nothing.

I would love to talk more but ... I have to take executive action now. Message from the Baht Hoover, she needs a transfer, stop at the market after that. ATM and Mangoes, I call it a morning. 

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Given the president has already told governors they can reopen when they want, why are these governors STILL whining???????

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-guidelines.html

I think they're still whining because they haven't got any new answers to the questions that they've been asking for the last week or so, and feel absolutely frightened, and helpless at the potential results. There isn't a solid plan for re-opening, and that should concern every American especially in hot spots. What Trump, and some of his economic advisors like Steven Moore don't understand is that even if you open up early, and get the economy rolling again, they could actually make things worse if there is a strong second wave. It's a mess.

• Like 1

I hope I’m wrong but my concern is we are setting up for a 2ond wave of this just like 1918 except we know better so if that comes to pass(I hope it doesent)pray tell who will trump blame this time?and how can the trump supporters and we know they will defend it?to me it seems without proper testing tracing and isolating we will be squandering all the sacrifices we have given so far

• Like 1

maybe it's a republic, but people don't care anymore.  the states will get back to work or the governors and mayors will all be voted out.

the people have spoken.....ok, old people will die and some other people...but we are near a point where most really don't care.

i think people have been generally reasonable for a few MONTHS.  and everyone saying stay indoors are still getting paid quite well.  

I read somewhere that some place is using some kind of "mobile swab" system,

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure you are right about this. But the problem is how to solve this?

Should every town and every village decide the rules? Or every household?

Thinking people have no problem understanding that in some areas the risk is high and in others it's low. And they can adjust their behavior accordingly. But unfortunately there are many people who can't think or don't want to think. They somehow believe everything will be somehow alright. Let them do what they want to do and it won't end well.

It's similar to speed restrictions on roads. Sensitive people know which speed is reasonable. But some idiots just don't care or think they are invincible. That's why there are traffic rules.

I read about a "mobile swab" being used somewhere? (though it sounds a bit wishful to think they could isolate Corona that quickly on the spot).

If so, and if the idiots with symptoms keep going out, then these tactics might be the next best step.

Get some kind of "medical police" on the job to go around testing folk who are out and look suspicious..temps swabs, whatever

Then drag any idiots away and throw em in a disease prison until all the idiots get the hint.

Personally i think by now, everyone on the globe (even idiots) would know not to go out if they had even the slightest symptoms.

I dont know how you solve the problem with the Asymptomatic ones though.  

As for the other point, even in many areas

that have had no outbreak, people are scared out of their wits for no reason.

There seems to be a virus of stupidity that's spread like wildfire, rendering people unable to think  such logic that:

a. A huge % just recover quickly with very minor symptoms.

b. You cannot catch a virus if nobody around your area has it.

16 minutes ago, Aspaltso said:

I think they're still whining because they haven't got any new answers to the questions that they've been asking for the last week or so, and feel absolutely frightened, and helpless at the potential results. There isn't a solid plan for re-opening, and that should concern every American especially in hot spots. What Trump, and some of his economic advisors like Steven Moore don't understand is that even if you open up early, and get the economy rolling again, they could actually make things worse if there is a strong second wave. It's a mess.

The “ responsible “ Governors are Not whining. King Trump is only concerned about 1 thing. Re- election. At the cost of LIVES. And he has countless loyal subjects. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, rabas said:

Not as hungry as democrats who who were busy impeaching him well into February. Thar's your sign.

And he would have been impeached had it not been for the rat infested Republicans in the Senate who clearly avoided all the facts . Shows how smart Americans are. The world knew the truth. It was in black and white

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

"Starting to open up again" should not be about blaming the states.

But i get you.

Of course for Trump, his motivation is exactly that.

To push any responsibility back to the states to cover himself in case it goes wrong, and to claim all the credit if it turns out ok.

But we all know he is not clever enough to solve any of the problems proactively anyway.

My point was more that Trump might have stumbled on start of a good idea by default. 

Letting the states/counties identify and isolate their own risk areas, and if there are no problems, getting life back to normal, county by county.

So you mentioned hurricanes.

I couldn't help but liken that to whats happening in some areas now.

Like the concept of having hurricane Katrina strike in the south, and then having a bunch of nutters in L.A running about and panicking because they think the power and water will be cut in L.A.

32 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

maybe it's a republic, but people don't care anymore.  the states will get back to work or the governors and mayors will all be voted out.

the people have spoken.....ok, old people will die and some other people...but we are near a point where most really don't care.

i think people have been generally reasonable for a few MONTHS.  and everyone saying stay indoors are still getting paid quite well.  

The people have spoken ??? A couple of hundred protesters and some talking heads on fox news have spoken. The vocal minority.

5 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Given the president has already told governors they can reopen when they want, why are these governors STILL whining???????

Because Trump has left the decision up to them. They will have to accept any outcome based on their own decisions. 

49 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Personally i think by now, everyone on the globe (even idiots) would know not to go out if they had even the slightest symptoms.

Unfortunately this is not so easy for some people.

Here is a long article about reality for some people - in the richest nation on earth.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52311877

"The BBC spoke to half a dozen current and former Smithfield employees who say that while they were afraid to continue going to work, deciding between employment and their health has been an impossible choice. "

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Unfortunately this is not so easy for some people.

Here is a long article about reality for some people - in the richest nation on earth.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52311877

"The BBC spoke to half a dozen current and former Smithfield employees who say that while they were afraid to continue going to work, deciding between employment and their health has been an impossible choice. "

The Chinese own Smithfield.  Letting them buy up meat processing plants was a huge mistake 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, sukhumvitneon said:

The Chinese own Smithfield.  Letting them buy up meat processing plants was a huge mistake 

Are the Chinese now also responsible for anything that happens in the USA?

If the USA would have proper protection for employees then this wouldn't happen.