loan sharks / private money lenders

Its often so called friends that are the worst, take there stuff when they cannot pay one week, call ten times a day, threaten them, make their life hell knowing that they only way to pay them is sell everything and borrow from an even more dangerous loan shark. There used to be a number people could get help from but suspect it was just a one month media thing, surprised they have not re-rolled that with covid, guess it might take hundreds of debt suicides every week to kick them into action. Legally even if with papers signed none of the above is legal but most people do not know where to get help from.

Worse they are getting their 5k and either that goes straight to debt collector or worst its not quite enough so they try and gamble it to get more on the basis they are screwed either way.  

• Like 1

They are absolutely 100% true in Chiangmai at least, as my Thai missus' uncle has been in debt to them for over twenty years - as long as I have been married to her ! He has never had any violence as far as I know. Uncle is a tradesman (locksmith) in Chiangmai and always has work, but lives from day to day. Some good days, some not. Every evening at about 1700 hours (5p.m.) for the fourteen years that I was living in Saraphi and certainly still until this day, the two people he owes money to appear. One who I call "mu-uck dang" ('cos he wears a red hat), is a likeable rogue who always has a ball of cash in one hand and almost every Thai person in Pratu Chiangmai (Chiangmai Gate) market is in his debt in some way or other. Last year when I went back to get dental work done, I bought a Thai lottery ticket on the day before I was leaving and won the two digit part - two thousand baht. Flying out next day and no way to cash it - he cashed it, less the 40 baht commission. Guess he wanted to show it off. I had seen him in the market when I bought the ticket and he already knew what number I always bought, so he did me a favour. He is not violent. Uncle is also in debt for thousands of baht to a vicious, nasty Chinese lesbian who owns lots of local real estate - she too turns up at 1700 or so. Uncle, only 52, has now been diagnosed with lung cancer from breathing the air pollution in Changers for so long (he's a non-smoker) - he has told no one and I hope his debts will die with him. Should this very nasty lady ever 'succumb', the better it would be for a great many very poor folks. She has 'minders' and they can do a lot worse than just knees. Trust me all you naysayers, - LOS is most assuredly chockers with illegal loan sharks. You just never see them, probably because many of you can't or don't speak enough Thai to be aware, but the sharks are out there - for 100 % certain.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/21/2020 at 5:09 PM, Crossy said:

For 10 grand I'd offer her an interest free loan. I've done it in the past (with family) and actually got the money back.

Is she cute, is the juice good?

I lent 50K to a Thai girl I knew who's business was affected by the protests a few years ago.  Didn't charge her interest and she paid it all back.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is she cute, is the juice good?

An older lady.   The juice is usually good.  I bring many of my own fruits.   I believe in the need to have that juice stand there.

For 10 grand I'd offer her an interest free loan. I've done it in the past (with family) and actually got the money back.

I offered a bailout that she accepted quite graciously.   My interest is free juice.   And I bring my own fruit at least 1/2 the time.  She can pay off principle-only in 3 months.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, natway09 said:

This I do know about.

Obviously court is out of the question.

But the loansharks are ruthless, dangerous & brutal

Enough said at this time but good chance you die

No it's not enough said why does everyone cope out with one time tragedy, so what's your story ?