RIP Pattaya

Silent Tiger

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't really believe that. Possibly hoping for a handout.

I've lived in a village and they grow food all over the place, even the road verges.

If they really didn't have any food they'd be dead, not contacting farangs.

Yes, they will be poor. For a brief spell they were doing OK and many improved their houses, bought computers, tvs etc. Hopefully they kept some money and didn't spend it all on booze and parties.

Sometimes the parents are worn out and its up to the youngsters.

I hope everyone is OK.

10 hours ago, newnative said:

When I visit Bangkok I don't stay or spend my time at the bar areas.  Next time you visit Pattaya try staying somewhere away from the bar areas since that is not your interest, either.  I live in Pattaya year-round and I never go to Walking Street, Soi Buakhao, or Soi 6.  Lots of nice places where you would have a nice visit in Wong Amat by the beach or perhaps south Jomtien. 

The beach area of Wong Amat reminds me a lot of a beach town in America.  Lots of couples, young families, and some multi-generation families vacationing.  People carrying beach mats and coolers to the beach, baby strollers.  Young kids walking by themselves to the 7-11 to get ice cream--it's a safe area.  Seafood restaurants where you can have a meal right by the beach.  If you want a change of scenery Terminal 21 is a short drive away for some shopping, a movie, or a variety of restaurants. 

There are many other better areas which familys use now Rayong Sattahip Hua Hin Cha am alot cheaper cleaner & friendly i certainly would NOT take my family to Pattaya & you can say what you like but it as been a adult playground for many years !!! but last 15yrs seems to be a ex hooligan paradise scowling from the bar areas as you walk past !!! 

12 minutes ago, Silent Tiger said:

There are many other better areas which familys use now Rayong Sattahip Hua Hin Cha am alot cheaper cleaner & friendly i certainly would NOT take my family to Pattaya & you can say what you like but it as been a adult playground for many years !!! but last 15yrs seems to be a ex hooligan paradise scowling from the bar areas as you walk past !!! 

Hua hin  cheaper than pattaya ??????????

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 7:38 PM, scubascuba3 said:

It's possible Pattaya will be the best ever in a month, 1000s of girls and no tourists, thaifriendly will be full

back to the good ole days.   walking down the street and throngs of ladies calling you hansum man.        

14 hours ago, kingdong said:

A lot of people think when ( if?) This virus ends things will quickly go back to normal,nothing could be further from the truth,there will be massive loss of jobs and depression,the cheap flights will be a thing of the past,and it will take years for people's fear of travelling to stop.

I agree. 

Thailand could cease their shut downs, and declare their boarders open, tomorrow.   Who is going to be able to get here, even 1 month later, and where would they be coming from?   

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, elgenon said:

Sometimes the parents are worn out and its up to the youngsters.

I hope everyone is OK.

Yes they can be old and sick , but there will be food up there . There's always people living close by , and they will hand on food to people who do have nothing or are really unable to help themselves . Food is no issue in Thai villages , many things create problems over there ( gambling , alcohol , drugs , family ,payback on government/cars/phones....) , but food certainly isn't . Food is in fact the only thing which isn't a problem in Thailand .

• Like 2

21 hours ago, morrobay said:

The 1 or 2 million I'm referring to is for the whole country, and includes all the various venues in my post, not just the beer bars in Pattaya. 

Think about what you wrote! Do you think I think Pattaya barbeers could employ 1, let alone 2 million girls?

Of course I'm talking about the whole country.

On 4/21/2020 at 7:18 PM, petermik said:

You are repeating a story that crops up at least once a year for the past 20 odd years....:whistling:

give it a rest :thumbsup:

This is a totally new story. I also believe Pattaya will never be the same again. It will end up something different. The bar industry has been slowly declining for years, but this will break its back. Where will the customers come from to restart these businesses? How will they survive while waiting for customers to come back? The wait will be long. How will the hotels survive a long wait for the odd customers here and there?

It's easy to switch off the economy, but switching it on again will be a very slow and painful process during which time many businesses (or most) will go broke. 

On the bright side, traffic will be light and beaches will be clean.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Think about what you wrote! Do you think I think Pattaya barbeers could employ 1, let alone 2 million girls?

Of course I'm talking about the whole country.

Is that why in post #230 (your quote) "There are approximately 35 million females in LOS and a few thousand work in the Farang-scene " You are doing more flip flops than a pancake cook. 

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Dreaming is allowed. The ladies won't return till the mongers do and that is who knows how far away.

Were here now...willing and waiting and licking our lips in anticipation...........:clap2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Silent Tiger said:

Thank goodness for that....Pattaya,s loss is Hua Hin/Cha Am,s gain......:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Nah, same old story. Back already broken many years ago, last nail in coffin driven, golden eggs layers departed, tourism never to revive, Pattaya dead forever. Can cite posts for you, but not supposed to do that and posters get upset if you quote previous stupidity.

Guess you're new here. Our ace TVF Pattaya Coroners yearly exhume the Pattaya corpse (usually twice, low season and high) to perform fresh autopsies, confirming all the same reasons for the Death that supposedly occurred decades ago, and issue their own new Final Death Certificates.

For n00bs with low post counts, it's a rite of passage towards achieving forum cred.

Daniel.jpg.69b7d8994cd562a44530e6a42394f5c4.jpg

For our aged, fading old doomsters it's part of their last struggle to remain somehow relevant, to feel important in a world where (sniff!) nobody cares to listen to them, and to punish Pattaya for not remaining in stasis since 1995. Not that they could handle that again, mind you.

Bigots and haters all gleefully join in with sour grapes from everywhere to chant the usual chants. And we always hear a cacophony of croaks from the weeds just outside the warm glow of our beloved cesspool. A Death thread is always good for business, inevitably gaining lots of page views, and is encouraged in various ways.

Recently, however, with the appearance of a tiresome new Chief Mortician Troll in the neighborhood, we have 4 Death threads continuously updated, more in the News forum. The new Final Death By Virus trope had already been seized upon, so this thread is merely a repeat of the same as well.

Outstanding.  Just the perfect post to nicely sum up this well-tread thread.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, newnative said:

Yes, I am starting to agree with you that Pattaya really isn't for you.  First, you got rained on back in 2004 and then you we're charged 100 or 200 baht, not sure exactly which,  when you hired the baht taxi because it was raining.  Now, we find you have had to put up with scowling, as well.  I think you will be much happier at any of those other places you mentioned.  

????  i myself for last number of years have been going to Chiang Mai Krabi & Samui pop to Pattaya maybe once every 2 yrs max 3 days & call see old friends !!! the old jewel in Thailands crown is now a big cats eye !!!

• Thanks 1

I am afraid the local authorities will use this 2-3 years pause as an opportunity to put an end to the Pattaya nightlife the way it existed for the last 50 years. While the opposite (the help of the government) could be necessary for the real recovery. There still will be sex life in Pattaya. But it will lose all its Thai charm and style and will be more similar to Prague and Amsterdam (boring and expensive). These tendencies could already be seen long before Covid. 

Edited by Zikomat

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

A lot of the girls are already here in Pattaya

May I remind you that about 50% of the population is female. Anyone wanting to hook up with girls should not have a problem and it might be better than ever, just different. The attitude of the girls will be somewhat softer and punters will be more handsome than ever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Nah, same old story. Back already broken many years ago, last nail in coffin driven, golden eggs layers departed, tourism never to revive, Pattaya dead forever. Can cite posts for you, but not supposed to do that and posters get upset if you quote previous stupidity.

Guess you're new here. Our ace TVF Pattaya Coroners yearly exhume the Pattaya corpse (usually twice, low season and high) to perform fresh autopsies, confirming all the same reasons for the Death that supposedly occurred decades ago, and issue their own new Final Death Certificates.

For n00bs with low post counts, it's a rite of passage towards achieving forum cred.

For our aged, fading old doomsters it's part of their last struggle to remain somehow relevant, to feel important in a world where (sniff!) nobody cares to listen to them, and to punish Pattaya for not remaining in stasis since 1995. Not that they could handle that again, mind you.

Bigots and haters all gleefully join in with sour grapes from everywhere to chant the usual chants. And we always hear a cacophony of croaks from the weeds just outside the warm glow of our beloved cesspool. A Death thread is always good for business, inevitably gaining lots of page views, and is encouraged in various ways.

Recently, however, with the appearance of a tiresome new Chief Mortician Troll in the neighborhood, we have 4 Death threads continuously updated, more in the News forum. The new Final Death By Virus trope had already been seized upon, so this thread is merely a repeat of the same as well.

Are you suggesting Corona virus will have no economic impact on Pattaya / Thailand?  

Your post criticizes the theme of the thread, but you offer up no prediction of your own on the matter.   

• Like 1

A lot of members focus on the demise of the sex tourism industry in Pattaya, losing sight of the bigger picture.

I worry about hotels and shopping malls, which were primarily kept alive by "normal" tourists.

For example, most retailers at Terminal 21 were hurting well before Covid-19. Many retailers never made money there since it opened in October 2018. I don't know what chance they have to survive after this. 

The damage of this shut down reaches far and wide. Just 2 examples I noticed this week. My regular car wash has gone. They won't be coming back as the building had been demolished. My optometrist has gone too and won't be coming back. The signs were taken away.

43 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

I am afraid the local authorities will use this 2-3 years pause as an opportunity to put an end to the Pattaya nightlife the way it existed for the last 50 years. While the opposite (the help of the government) could be necessary for the real recovery. There still will be sex life in Pattaya. But it will lose all its Thai charm and style and will be more similar to Prague and Amsterdam (boring and expensive). These tendencies could already be seen long before Covid. 

i think the opposite, this will make them realise how 1000s are reliant on the sex industry and will be happy when it comes back again

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

I've probably been here as long as you have or maybe longer, and as another member suggested, your posting style is reminiscent of JSixPack. I just didn't bother posting, but I've read dozens of your posts, including the infamous Songkran threads. I enjoy your posting style, but here you are just plain wrong...

To suggest this is just a another "Pattaya is dying" thread is absurd. It's not just Pattaya that has died, but all economies around the world. As a tourist destination, Pattaya is closely linked to the economies of other nations. We are yet to discover what will happen when economies attempt to restart. Singapore has already given us a clue that the road forward could be very bumpy.

I didn't actually say that Pattaya will permanently die, but that it will never be the same again. It will recover to be something completely different, but that will take years.

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

A lot of members focus on the demise of the sex tourism industry in Pattaya, losing sight of the bigger picture.

I worry about hotels and shopping malls, which were primarily kept alive by "normal" tourists.

For example, most retailers at Terminal 21 were hurting well before Covid-19. Many retailers never made money there since it opened in October 2018. I don't know what chance they have to survive after this. 

The damage of this shut down reaches far and wide. Just 2 examples I noticed this week. My regular car wash has gone. They won't be coming back as the building had been demolished. My optometrist has gone too and won't be coming back. The signs were taken away.

As time as gone on i have found Pattaya somewhere i can go and spend long periods of time for a reasonable price.

It has all those things i want and when i want them.

My days of 12 hour drinking and sex binges are long gone.

I prefer to spend less and stay longer.

Edited by WillyPlatt
E
  • Like 2

Genuinely interested to see how Pattaya and local businesses emerge from this situation and how controlled the transition to something approaching normality will be for residents.

Then the harder aspect of the arrival back of the local migrant working population and how smoothly that will phase in in line with a demand for their services. I wouldn't fancy being in any tourist related hospitality business trying to make a decision when the right time to reopen is, a really hard judgement call between potential revenue against definite costs.

• Like 1