British man would rather be stuck in Thailand during coronavirus pandemic

webfact

4 hours ago, Mulambana said:

At least the fisher man has turned in to a freelance journalist unlike Tom (truck driver), Dick (brick lyer), and Harry (plumber) who have become virologists and epidemiologists that resulted in thousands of deaths in their own country and caused a world wide epidemic and now trying to cause havoc in Pattaya by flaunting all the measures put in place to contain the virus like wearing masks, maintaining social distace, drinking with their would be Thai bride in a group outside closed bars, etc. 

Yes, but Paul the Fisherman, Tom, Dick and Harry all are waiting for this pandemic to disappear so they can take up the new careers as English language teachers in Thailand!

1 hour ago, Eibot said:

Thailand is the 29th on testing and UK 10th.

Thailand= 2k test per 1 million

UK= 7k per 1 million

The UK tests more, but Thailand is definitely testing. 

Everything points towards it that there won't be an alarming outbreak in Thailand. Believing otherwise is unfounded with evidence and sheer panicking. 

The UK testing is so efficient because they just have to only count the number of Dead Bodies.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:
5 hours ago, petermik said:

I,m sure many will agree...others will not though....horses for courses and all that :thumbsup:

p.s. he,s not been sponsored by the P.M. here by any chance...:cheesy:

No. The Sun newspaper.

The Dorset Echo.

Hang on how many deaths in Thailand,a hundred or so,15,000 in Uk,report's today in Uk papers of companies offering ppe only to get no response from the govt, some e mails were missed admits the civil service ye Gods it's a global pandemic British bungling at it's finest,they have a plane sitting on a runway in Turkey, unloaded as yet,Nurses wearing bin liners,oh yeah they could not make more of a ham fisted job if they tried,a govt Minister interviewed had basically no idea how many nhs workers had died,or care home patients,but my,didn't his study in cosy rural hertfordshire look nice.look you may as well have Monty Python running the place,the op is far better off here.

4 hours ago, Mulambana said:

At least the fisher man has turned in to a freelance journalist unlike Tom (truck driver), Dick (brick lyer), and Harry (plumber) who have become virologists and epidemiologists that resulted in thousands of deaths in their own country and caused a world wide epidemic and now trying to cause havoc in Pattaya by flaunting all the measures put in place to contain the virus like wearing masks, maintaining social distace, drinking with their would be Thai bride in a group outside closed bars, etc. 

Remember Dragnet ? "just gimmee the fact, Ma,m, just the facts" ! ????

20 minutes ago, andy72 said:

total garbage

he has had 3 flights cancelled he did not cancel them so he cannot be out of pocket

I was going to query this - if the airline cancels don't they have to provide an alternative, refund or credit?

Also £1500 is a lot for a one way flight - presuming he has already had the outward leg?

22 minutes ago, andy72 said:

B&Q etc you can still go shopping for DIY where as in SE ASia you gotta use Lazada

Not sure where you are but in Pattaya the DIY stores are open - certainly Home Pro as I have just been in one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm in Germany so have no dog in this fight, but it's not so much about the numbers of tests but:

1. How easily can you get a test;

2. How many of those tests are positive.

Thailand's positive test rate is tiny - something like 2%. Assuming that the tests work (which is by no means guaranteed), that's a tenth of the rate in the UK, suggesting that Thailand is comfortably testing enough to find virtually all cases. When I was in Thailand in March, I was tested with nothing more than a 37.3-degree temperature and a tickly cough.

2 hours ago, Eibot said:

Thailand is the 29th on testing and UK 10th.

Thailand= 2k test per 1 million

UK= 7k per 1 million

The UK tests more, but Thailand is definitely testing. 

Everything points towards it that there won't be an alarming outbreak in Thailand. Believing otherwise is unfounded with evidence and sheer panicking. 

Maybe...but if you believe, what the Thai- government is telling you, I have a used car to sell you!

These guys OBVIOUSLY don't know their ass from their heads!

Edited by The Barmbeker
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think this is a daft story. Until he has experienced the Thai health system and how it dealt with him during the pandemic when he was sick, then it's just propagnda nonsense

Disagree. I am very happy not to be in UK at the moment, where the pandemic has been and is being grossly mismanaged by a bunch of incompetents. Glad to be in Mae Hong Son declared covid-free today.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, petermik said:

p.s. he,s not been sponsored by the P.M. here by any chance...:cheesy:

Makes you wonder does’nt it?

Here is this clown 10,000kilometres away reading the papers and believing everything he reads and consequently spreading the lies.

Agreed there were SOME irresponsible could’nt give a manure young members of the Me,Me brigade but he ImplIes that there were thousands which is entirely incorrect, but then I read that he was a fisherman and is now a freelance journalist so that says it all really, falsehoods and negativity are the stock in trade Of journalists as is getting fish to take the BAIT.

Fool probably still believes in Santa Claus.

1 hour ago, domgaf said:

While I agree they should be doing more to help those in need due to poverty/unemployment. I do believe that the measures in place in Thailand are working more effectively than those in place in the UK. Of course, nobody in any country will ever know the true figures of those infected with Covid-19, it's just not possible. However, I do know that the people in Thailand have not been infected anywhere near to the extent of those in the UK. My mother-in-law had to visit the local government hospital a couple of nights ago due to an underlying medical condition (not due to Covid-19). It was clear to me that the hospital was not overrun with patients, the medical staff were not stretched to their limits. In fact, it was the quietest I'd ever seen it. That was enough evidence for me that the measures in place are working. At least in this province anyway.

Sorry, but...they are still not testing for free, even if you show symptoms!

As far as I know, IF you are tested postive the fee is waived...if you are negative, you pay ...1000....3000...8000 Baht, depending of where you go!

Now: how many people do you think may have shown symptoms but didn't risk that test, also because the village shaman gives them pills made out of lizard blood and horse poo, blessed by a monk?

IMHO the numbers are low and the hospitals are empty because of the non- existing testing.

There is no chaos in the UK, but it's sooo boring, major mistake flying back on 25/03/2020. On the positive, you can buy BEER and no shortage of crisps either.

I go out for as many walks as I can, I even bought an old bicycle for exercise. The stats if you need ICU treatment, 49% die and 51% recover, but 34% in ICU are from ethnic minorities, which I'm not! Obesity and having multiple underlying medical conditions is a big factor, living in cramped accommodation with other family members is another factor here, London and West Midlands are the hot spots, which doesn't effect me either.

The programmes are TV are blatant propaganda and scaremongering, so I only watch the odd travel programme and the rest of the time is YouTube. As soon as Thailand opens up again I'll be off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

What a moron! There is no chaos in the uk and just as many deaths in Thailand from Chinese flu!

No. More die everyday in U.K. than Thailand.

UK hospitals full, doctor have no PPE, is a big problem.

safer in Thailand. Sure.

UK care home staff 'at breaking point' as coronavirus cases rise

Care workers and homes report insufficient PPE and lack of clear government guidance

Link,..

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/31/uk-care-home-staff-at-breaking-point-as-coronavirus-cases-rise

Data collected by the NCF, which represents not-for-profit adult social care providers, suggests 4,040 people may have died from Covid-19 in residential and nursing homes up to 13 April but are yet to be included in official figures.

It said that in the week from 7-13 April there were 299 deaths linked to the coronavirus, three times more than in the previous week and double the number in the whole of the previous month.

Link..

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/19/care-homes-body-says-4000-residents-may-died-have-from-coronavirus

His government was pursuing a strategy that rested, at least in part, on the idea of shielding the most vulnerable members of the British public from infection while allowing a large percentage of others to catch the virus. The hope was that most of these people would experience relatively mild symptoms, recover, and wind up immune, stopping the virus's further transmission.

https://fortune.com/2020/04/06/uk-boris-johnson-coronavirus-icu-herd-immunity/

The Festival opened on 10 March with at least 60,000 racegoers in attendance each afternoon, while 68,500 were at the track to see the Cheltenham Gold Cup on 13 March – four days before Boris Johnson announced extensive UK-wide lockdown measures.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/02/cheltenham-faces-criticism-after-racegoers-suffer-covid-19-symptoms

In a significant U-turn, PHE advised frontline staff to wear a flimsy plastic apron with coveralls when gowns ran out, in a move that doctors and nurses fear may lead to more of them contracting the virus and ultimately putting lives at risk. 

Link..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/nhs-staff-to-be-asked-to-treat-coronavirus-patients-without-gownsP

C107076D-9F79-4A25-9520-E8135C962714.jpeg

2 hours ago, JCauto said:

Unless I'm mistaken, that's the choice the majority of TV readers will have made, no? It's certainly the choice I made although Canada is doing better than the UK. Still rather be here (Laos) than there. Certainly the point that I haven't experienced the health care system under COVID-19 is relevant, but that's kind of why I'm here; so that I don't. To my astonishment, I've discovered that the Lao people are more disciplined than Canadians!

Yes, I've lived here for more than 10 years, I'm not going anywhere, this is home at the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JCauto said:

Unless I'm mistaken, that's the choice the majority of TV readers will have made, no? It's certainly the choice I made although Canada is doing better than the UK. Still rather be here (Laos) than there. Certainly the point that I haven't experienced the health care system under COVID-19 is relevant, but that's kind of why I'm here; so that I don't. To my astonishment, I've discovered that the Lao people are more disciplined than Canadians!

or Americans

2 hours ago, treetops said:

The exact same could be said about the UK

No it could not, many are at  home furloughed on almost  full  pay, I personally  know two  people who are at  home until July with no work to do, the NHS  is  free, so  will this person get free healthcare should he become ill in Thailand?

Edited by bodga
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, andy72 said:

UK the viral numbers speak for themselves
they are still mulling over if the public should be made to wear a mask

I am in the UK. People are out and about no masks whatsoever (maybe 5% at most)  I know a number of people at the hospital including nurses and admin staff who inform me that the social distancing is virtually useless if people are not wearing a mask (people standing outside shops in queues 150 metres long  where even a slight wind blowing  will send any virus half the length of the queue . Masks are there to protect others from you, therefore all have to wear one in  order for it be of use.

If infected, by the time you realise it, you will have infected multiple other people simply because you are not wearing a mask. When these imbeciles have infected their parents, grandparents etc (high risk of death) maybe they will have a different outlook.

If everyone were to wear a mask the virus cannot spread buts its everyone or nothing

If you look at the countries that already were prevalent in the wearing of masks and therefore the population immediately used masks on a virtual 100% basis their death rate and exposure were minute in relation to other countries

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The real problem in the UK will happen in a few months when people on furlough lose their jobs and mass unemployment kicks in. There was an article in The Guardian yesterday that stated the majority on furlough were in effect unemployed and the unemployed rate could hit 5 or 6 million. During the early 1980s, 1982 the highest peak of unemployemt was 3 million, and I do recall there being riots in London and Liverpool.

On Newsnight last night there was a survey that 60% of people would uncomfortable going to a pub or restaurant when the lockdown ends, the mainstream media has whipped up a hysteria and scared people into going outside their house. I would have no problems going to a pub or restaurant, bunch of scared pussies can stay indoors if they wish!

2 hours ago, andy72 said:

total garbage

he has had 3 flights cancelled he did not cancel them so he cannot be out of pocket

Many Airlines offer you to change your flight to a later date, want to give you a voucher for future use, or delay giving you back your money as long as they can. 

A post containing unattributed content has been removed.  Please provide a valid link to the source of information when posting.

A post with a trolling meme and a reply has been removed.

A post that had a video with profane language has been removed, the reply was removed as well.