Unusual visa situation

Hi there, so here goes:

I am on my 6th year of Elite visa. I left the country and came back last year just before my 5 years visa expired. The IO at BKK airport gave me a full year and told me it was completely valid. I went to check at CW twice to make sure with different IOs that it was in order and they said yes, just keep doing your 90 days report if you stay here. So, my permission of stay is valid until toward the end of May 2020.

My question is: am I included in the foreigners that will be allowed to stay in the country until July 31st? Because, technically I am on a permit of stay and not a visa. Anyone having an idea on the matter would be very welcomed to share their thoughts.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, phuketrichard said:

100% wrong

there people here on 1 year multi entry NON B visas, non O visas, 90 day o visas, 90 day B visas, tourists visas an 30 day visa exempt stamps

there also people here on 1 year EXTENSIONS

I'd call the elite people and ask them

Well, the problem is that Elite seems to be saying that anyone on their 6th year is breaking the law to begin with. I don't think they would be much help in my case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

100% wrong

there people here on 1 year multi entry NON B visas, non O visas, 90 day o visas, 90 day B visas, tourists visas an 30 day visa exempt stamps

there also people here on 1 year EXTENSIONS

I'd call the elite people and ask them

Agreed. Extensions are not visas. As such, the amnesty does not apply to extensions, as far as I know. I was just required to extend based on my work permit. No amnesty for my case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Mmmmmm, think you might have that wrong yourself...

Whilst you may have a visa, you are in Thailand on a permission to stay. 

Eg, Non Imm O multi entry visa, valid for 1 year. However, each permission to stay is only 90 days, then you must leave or extend your permission to stay.

<deleted>
please stop with  ur nonsense
I have a 1 year extension,  valid for 1 year

I only need report (online, by mail or in person ) that i am still at the same address

All those permissions to stay are automatically extended until 31st July, neither the ministerial order, nor immigration bureau said that this only applies to some permissions of stay.

WRONG,if ur here on a EXTENSION, you need get a new extension when ur current extension is up,

NO Amnesty!!

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They all have a permission to stay (with varying length)

All those permissions to stay are automatically extended until 31st July.

Exactly. Permissions to stay and not Visas.

So much confusion as usual .

If I were the op I would phone Immigration and ask them.

With any luck he might get the correct answer. 

Edited by fishtank

1 minute ago, phuketrichard said:

<deleted>
please stop with  ur nonsense
I have a 1 year extension,  valid for 1 year

I only need report (online, by mail or in person ) that i am still at the same address

Exactly, you have extended your permission to stay...

No apology for the language required

Edited by cornishcarlos
  • Like 1

The way I see it is that my Elite visa is basically a very long term tourist visa. As a tourist in this situation, I don't have options to extend to a new visa within Thailand (except renew Elite I guess). This makes me think that I qualify to stay until end of July. Am I wrong to think like that?

1 minute ago, fishtank said:

Exactly. Permissions to stay and not Visas.

So much confusion as usual .

If I were the op I would phone Immigration and ask them.

I did but they were puzzled and I am not very eager to go there myself right now with the covid situation.

5 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

WRONG,if ur here on a EXTENSION, you need get a new extension when ur current extension is up,

NO Amnesty!!

So somebody who entered with a tourist visa and got an extension is now not automatically extended?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

So somebody who entered with a tourist visa and got an extension is now not automatically extended?

No.  I think he means those who live here on annual extensions.  The amnesty is for tourists who are stuck here; they now have until 31 July to get home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

No.  I think he means those who live here on annual extensions.  The amnesty is for tourists who are stuck here; they now have until 31 July to get home.

Hard to tell with all his shouty words and he is a bit confused himself..????

• Like 1

Just now, phuketrichard said:

they entered on a tourist visa or a visa exempt stamp its a automatic renewal till july 31st

But they are on an extension, and in your previous post you said people on extensions are not automatically extended.

So they are extended because they entered as tourists. Somebody who entered with a non-immigrant visa is not automatically extended?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Well, the problem is that Elite seems to be saying that anyone on their 6th year is breaking the law to begin with. I don't think they would be much help in my case.

You were given 1 year on your last entry by a Government employed Immigration officer - how can you be breaking the law?

FYI it is well known and other posters who are on the Elite have posted here that they left just before the end of their 5th year and upon return were given another year

I'm on a ED visa and should be leaving on 4th May - i have been given very helpful advise by UbonJoe that I am covered by the amnesty however i'm still going to go to Immigration tomorrow to be 100% certain - you will be given a lot of mis information on this forum by some other members so maybe it's better you visit Immigration to double check to set your mind at rest?

5 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

You were given 1 year on your last entry by a Government employed Immigration officer - how can you be breaking the law?

FYI it is well known and other posters who are on the Elite have posted here that they left just before the end of their 5th year and upon return were given another year

I'm on a ED visa and should be leaving on 4th May - i have been given very helpful advise by UbonJoe that I am covered by the amnesty however i'm still going to go to Immigration tomorrow to be 100% certain - you will be given a lot of mis information on this forum by some other members so maybe it's better you visit Immigration to double check to set your mind at rest?

I agree that I'm not breaking any laws, had it confirmed at CW twice. I guess I will have to go back there to make sure about the extension, wish I could have avoided that. But like you, I like to be sure in these matters.

Thanks for your input!

51 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Every foreigner here is on a permit to stay and not a Visa.

You are the same as everybody else.

No there are people with a permit to stay based on a valid visa and there are people who have an extension of stay, which has completely different rules.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No there are people with a permit to stay based on a valid visa and there are people who have an extension of stay, which has completely different rules.

Same thing... When you enter you are given permission to stay. Then you either leave or you extend that permission to stay.. 

Some people have been here years on the same permission to stay that has been extended annually. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

What are the differences?

12 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

i feel it clears the nose.

Seriously when read all this stuff it boggles my mind.... thank god for my lovely little lady  who deals with all my visa issues for a small consideration (it works out about 30THB a day)

pp, photo sent to her before due date and thats it

It not been inside a Immigration office for years apart from my odd 90 day

Elite sent an email to their members saying they were included for the 31st of July extension. Then they said to still go to immigration if the members need an extension as they can't guarantee what will be the process once the extension is over on August 1st. 

• Thanks 1