Public Access to Chaweng Beach

Thought I would go for a stroll on Chaweng Beach today to get some fresh air.  Came in from the north end and looked for a way through. Could not find any public access. 

Turned away by security  guards at various places when I asked if I might walk through to the beach.

In the end had to drive all the way down, almost to walking street before finding a way. Walked through the soi that leads to Seen Beach Club.

Lots of people there, spread out. Further north, the numbers thinned out.

Never realised before how little public access there actually is to the beach. The hotels have almost everything. Now they are closed, it really shows.

Did you see my reply to your other thread...

Twice I've been to Chaweng Beach to take a photo of the deserted bay – 11th and 17th April – which unfortunately was impossible, as there were too many foreigners, as well as Thais, enjoying the southern half; only the northern part was mainly deserted, but here the resorts were also all closed and protected by guards, and not much public beach entrance.

The main public acces to Chaweng Beach is way south by the soi to the boxing stadium.

• Like 1

I always go though My Place Bungalows, which is almost at the north tip of chaweng beach. But Ive been thorugh many 5* hotels over the years for beach access. If asked just say that you just say you are a resident, and act confident, and most security guards will shy away from you. The last thing they can be seen to be doing it abusing a guest - more than their job is worth.

But I can understand that it could be difficult right now, with many of them closed off.

Its such a shame that most beaches in Samui are this way. Its criminal that there are only a few places on the whole iseland where you can drive along the public sois and actually see the ocean - Nathon sea front, and a small section of Bangrak are the only ones I can think of.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steelerian said:

I always go though My Place Bungalows, which is almost at the north tip of chaweng beach. But Ive been thorugh many 5* hotels over the years for beach access. If asked just say that you just say you are a resident, and act confident, and most security guards will shy away from you. The last thing they can be seen to be doing it abusing a guest - more than their job is worth.

But I can understand that it could be difficult right now, with many of them closed off.

Its such a shame that most beaches in Samui are this way. Its criminal that there are only a few places on the whole iseland where you can drive along the public sois and actually see the ocean - Nathon sea front, and a small section of Bangrak are the only ones I can think of.

I usually do the same. Walk through hotels. But now they are all closed, it just shows how  little public access there actually is. A ridiculous situation. I think it's pretty much the same from Chaweng right around to, and through Choengmon. You have to cross someone's land to get to the beach/sea.

Maenam and Ban Por are easier though.

Edited by phetphet

13 hours ago, steelerian said:

Those are long stretches of beach though... and just because there are some beaches with restaurants or hotels on them, that doesn't mean they aren't easily accessible. TBH only parts of Mae Nam seem swallowed up by hotels, most of the other beaches can be accessed pretty easily from what I've seen.

13 hours ago, steelerian said:

It's not criminal, it's rather the beauty of Samui that you can live by/on the beaches without crossing a trafficked main road.

There are plenty of easy public beach access, just you know where to find them – Google maps could be your friend – and plenty of stretches to pass with beautiful sea view, and easy beach access. Google Street View can give you an excellent idea of where to head for a view.

38 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

TBH only parts of Mae Nam seem swallowed up by hotels, most of the other beaches can be accessed pretty easily from what I've seen.

I think Maenam Beach got more public access points than Chaweng Beach. Beginning from West I know of one by the Lomprayah pier with a big parking area and a wide public access; next to Maenam Resort is a much used public access, and short walking distance to join the same sand and sea and view as 5-star up-priced gusts are enjoying, but it's not included free use of their luxury sunbeds; by Maenam China Town are two public entrances, one by soi 4 with the sala where the little original Koh Phangan express-ferry lands, and the other 50 meters further walk to the square in front of the Hainan-Chinese temple; the "Moon Hut"-soi by the PTT gasoline station leads down to a public beach entrance by Mishka Wan luxury villas, again you can join sand together with the hi-so class; opposite Maenam soi 1 use the soi by the river, which leads down to a public entrance, there use to be area available for parking (not sure if it's public or just unused plantagen land), and a bridge for crossing the river so you can enjoy both sides of the beach; and there is also a public entrance by "W Resort" and the high school to the eastern end of the bay, I'm however not familiar with it, but many Thais use it and collect mussels there (they should be extra delicious when collected from that part of the bay...????).

I think I counted 7 public Maenam Beach entrances – furthermore there is a big empty unused plot between Lomprayah and Maenam Resort that many use as beach access, I believe the bamboo hut restaurant is still operating (but not now during the coronavisrus lockdown), many comes there to relive how the island was during the happy hippie era.

To my knowledge Chaweng beach is more difficult to access, but as said, under normal conditions you can just walk through many of the resorts that also operates beach front restaurants, for example at ArkBAR or Al's Resort.

Ban Rak (the bay leading up to Big Buddha) and Bang Por (the stretch between Maenam and the hill leading to Nathon) are good places if you wish a main road by the beach, a nice view, and easy access.

????

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

It's not criminal, it's rather the beauty of Samui that you can live by/on the beaches without crossing a trafficked main road.

There are plenty of easy public beach access, just you know where to find them – Google maps could be your friend – and plenty of stretches to pass with beautiful sea view, and easy beach access. Google Street View can give you an excellent idea of where to head for a view.

I think Maenam Beach got more public access points than Chaweng Beach. Beginning from West I know of one by the Lomprayah pier with a big parking area and a wide public access; next to Maenam Resort is a much used public access, and short walking distance to join the same sand and sea and view as 5-star up-priced gusts are enjoying, but it's not included free use of their luxury sunbeds; by Maenam China Town are two public entrances, one by soi 4 with the sala where the little original Koh Phangan express-ferry lands, and the other 50 meters further walk to the square in front of the Hainan-Chinese temple; the "Moon Hut"-soi by the PTT gasoline station leads down to a public beach entrance by Mishka Wan luxury villas, again you can join sand together with the hi-so class; opposite Maenam soi 1 use the soi by the river, which leads down to a public entrance, there use to be area available for parking (not sure if it's public or just unused plantagen land), and a bridge for crossing the river so you can enjoy both sides of the beach; and there is also a public entrance by "W Resort" and the high school to the eastern end of the bay, I'm however not familiar with it, but many Thais use it and collect mussels there (they should be extra delicious when collected from that part of the bay...????).

I think I counted 7 public Maenam Beach entrances – furthermore there is a big empty unused plot between Lomprayah and Maenam Resort that many use as beach access, I believe the bamboo hut restaurant is still operating (but not now during the coronavisrus lockdown), many comes there to relive how the island was during the happy hippie era.

To my knowledge Chaweng beach is more difficult to access, but as said, under normal conditions you can just walk through many of the resorts that also operates beach front restaurants, for example at ArkBAR or Al's Resort.

Ban Rak (the bay leading up to Big Buddha) and Bang Por (the stretch between Maenam and the hill leading to Nathon) are good places if you wish a main road by the beach, a nice view, and easy access.

????

Well to summarise, it doesn't seem realistic for a popular holiday island to have undeveloped coast line the whole way around... but there are some long undeveloped stretches in Samui