ATM daily limits

They vary, they can be set by the account holder o Thai Bank accounts.

In very general terms they can be limited to 30k baht. some 20k  per transaction, the daily limit if the card is from the home country will be set by the card issuer (usually).

You are limited by the physical constraints of the particular ATM, as well as by whatever limits your bank has set. Most machines are limited to B 20,000 - 30,000/transaction. You are normally limited to two transactions per day. However, there is nothing to stop you from doing your second transaction immediately after the first.

If you want to pull out more than a 1000 a day then you will need to contact your bank.

I have never been able to get the 30,000 Baht some ATMs advertise, though I can pull 2 x 20,000 but that comes with extra fees of course, unless like me you have an ING account and all costs are refunded. 

17 hours ago, khunbillmex said:

My debit cards have a daily limit of $1000 per card.

So these are foreign (US) cards.

1000 USD is currently about 32400 Baht.

As already mentioned there are ATMs that allow 30k Baht per withdrawal (Krungsri, TMB, CIMB e.g.). And there are hints that some now allow more like 50k.

Many older ATMs only give 20k or 25k.

I assume you are aware about the ATM fee for foreign cards (220 Baht per transaction).

So if you request 30000 Baht, 30220 Baht will be debited to the card.

If you are in Khon Kaen (city) go to Central Shopping (bank branches are open even now). Usually the banks have their most advanced machines there.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AtlasAus said:

If you want to pull out more than a 1000 a day then you will need to contact your bank.

I have never been able to get the 30,000 Baht some ATMs advertise, though I can pull 2 x 20,000 but that comes with extra fees of course, unless like me you have an ING account and all costs are refunded. 

I am not American, and don't use a home-country account, so I stand to be corrected on this. US $1000 + service charges is presently more than B 30,000. Try withdrawing a slightly smaller amount.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, allane said:

I am not American, and don't use a home-country account, so I stand to be corrected on this. US $1000 + service charges is presently more than B 30,000. Try withdrawing a slightly smaller amount.

Your math is off, based on current exchange rates. As of right now, 30,220 baht (the maximum withdrawal of 30k in cash, plus the 220 baht fee) comes to about 936 USD, which is well within the OP's limit. 

As an aside, when the exchange rate was much worse a couple of months ago, I noticed that my US ATM card - which also has a daily withdrawal limit of $1000 - didn't seem to include the ATM fee in the daily limit. I had at least one transaction where the 30k portion was just under $1k, but the fee part caused it to go over that limit, and it was still processed with no issues.

To answer the OP's original question, and to expand on what KhunBENQ said above, you can get 30k in one pull from the ATMs of Krungsri (yellow), TMB (blue/white/red), CIMB (red), and Citibank (blue), though the last two don't have many machines.

• Thanks 1

Take your ATM card and passport into the bank and you can withdraw up to your own bank's personal limit in one go with no transaction charge. Some Thai banks will give you a hard time with this as they want the THB220 ATM fee but I have never had a problem with Krungsi (yellow) bank when withdrawing cash using my Citibank US debit card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About six weeks ago I was at Central Festival in Phuket and tried entering 30,000 into the ATMs of several different banks. For most I got a message that they allowed a maximum of 20,000. I learned that SCB, Aeon, and Bangkok Bank (and two other ATMs but I forget which banks they were) had a maximum of 20,000,  Citibank accepted a request for 30,000 but I got an error message at the end (perhaps the machine was low on cash). I was able to get 30,000 from Krungsri (yellow) ATMs and stopped my search after that. The fee for all of the ATMs I checked was 220 Baht.

My US debit card has a maximum withdrawal limit of $1000. I've found that an ATM withdrawal of 30,000 baht with the 220 fee is easier and no more expensive than doing an international transfer. It's certainly faster. My US bank does not add any fees for an international ATM withdrawal. 

• Like 1

I pulled out 30000 yesterday from a TMB machine in Patts. They add a 220 fee. Just make sure you select "don't convert currency" (into your home currency), as for that "convenience" it will cost you at least 5% of the withdrawal amount, they say it on the screen if you read the garb. Your home bank will obviously convert the currency in any case.

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

They vary, they can be set by the account holder o Thai Bank accounts.

In very general terms they can be limited to 30k baht. some 20k  per transaction, the daily limit if the card is from the home country will be set by the card issuer (usually).

You are right, I can set the amount to limit on transfers and daily transaction n such. I can use my USA Debit Card like a credit card except when I try to use it at a US car rental a few years ago when I went back to the USA and had a car reserved via my card, but when they ran the card they scanned it as a ATM $1,000 n not a Debit card $5,000. I told the rental it's a Debit card,  Rental no ATM, no it says right on the card Debit (Bank also said $5k). I think it was because I wasn't taking their insurance $$$$$$.

3 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I learned that SCB, Aeon, and Bangkok Bank (and two other ATMs but I forget which banks they were) had a maximum of 20,000,  Citibank accepted a request for 30,000 but I got an error message at the end (perhaps the machine was low on cash). I was able to get 30,000 from Krungsri (yellow) ATMs and stopped my search after that. The fee for all of the ATMs I checked was 220 Baht.

It's possible that Thai banks set the 20k limit for all foreign cards now to cash in more on fees.

For AEON this is crystal clear. Their big ATM spit up to 100k in the past (some 7 years ago). After they introduced the 150(!) Baht fee they limited foreign cards to 20k (haven't checked whether they also raised to 220).

Happy to have this era behind me. Transferwise is it. Not used my foreign card for cash since many years.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If you are using a US issued card with a bank set daily limit the changeover time from one banking day to the next is usually midnight in the US. For example: in the winter while the eastern US is on standard time the changeover is at noon Thai time. Visit the ATM a few minutes before noon then again a few minutes after noon. (Naturally you can't do this everyday! And if your bank is in another time zone adjustment has to be made.)

10 hours ago, HannahD said:

If you are using a US issued card with a bank set daily limit the changeover time from one banking day to the next is usually midnight in the US. For example: in the winter while the eastern US is on standard time the changeover is at noon Thai time. Visit the ATM a few minutes before noon then again a few minutes after noon. (Naturally you can't do this everyday! And if your bank is in another time zone adjustment has to be made.)

I tried this once or twice a couple of years ago, but it didn't seem to work - I couldn't do another $1000 withdrawal until 24 hours had passed. It's entirely possible that I screwed something up in the timing, though.

15 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

I tried this once or twice a couple of years ago, but it didn't seem to work - I couldn't do another $1000 withdrawal until 24 hours had passed. It's entirely possible that I screwed something up in the timing, though.

Card-issuing banks will have different times when the new day  begins for ATM withdrawals/reset of daily ATM limits. And time changes during the year like being on daylight savings time can make a difference.

I saw a very recent post where a guy was trying to use his Schwab debit card to do two $30K withdrawals since the Schwab card has a daily $1K limit....he was trying just before and after high noon Thailand time when he thought the daily limit reset would occur....but it didn't work for him to complete the 2nd withdrawal.  He called Schwab and the rep said Schwab's switchover time is 3am Eastern Time, which with the US currently on daylight savings time that would be 2pm Thailand time.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Card-issuing banks will have different times when the new day  begins for ATM withdrawals/reset of daily ATM limits. And time changes during the year like being on daylight savings time can make a difference.

I saw a very recent post where a guy was trying to use his Schwab debit card to do two $30K withdrawals since the Schwab card has a daily $1K limit....he was trying just before and after high noon Thailand time when he thought the daily limit reset would occur....but it didn't work for him to complete the 2nd withdrawal.  He called Schwab and the rep said Schwab's switchover time is 3am Eastern Time, which with the US currently on daylight savings time that would be 2pm Thailand time.   

Thanks - my card is from Schwab, so that's actually very useful to know.