Where Would You Choose To Live In Pattaya?

Dart12

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Reading this thread, and mainly post #7, I would absolutely avoid Centric Sea or the Base if I wanted to live in Pattaya.

They are mainly "AirBnB hotels" with a permanent traffic of tourists with suitcases in lifts and a lot of noise from these tourists, mainly from Chinese who often keep their door open and shout to each other from a room to another!

Also keep in mind that the quality of these condos (and many other recent ones) is very bad on the soundproof point of view. A friend of mines bough in Centric for his retirement and sold after only 6 months of living in, because of the noise. 

Unixx in my opinion suffer to be too eccentric. Not on a bahtbus road and lost in a part of the city with no shops. Where do you go when you just want to have a meal?

Last point: Most these recent condos are tiny. They are made for a 1-week stay. Apartment starting around 24 sqm (!) and 1 bedroom around 32 sqm ! Yes they have bigger ones, but prices increase a lot...

Normally I wouldn't recommend The Base or Unixx due to the short-term tourists you mentioned.  I only threw them out as possibilities because there are very few tourists now so they are likely not plagued with the hoards of short-term tourists they had before the virus.  I lived at Centric Sea and there wasn't any noise problem from neighbors.  We moved due to the short-term tourists, which, again, shouldn't be a problem for quite awhile. 

The OP said he was interested in Pattaya and newer projects.  For newer high-rises in the center city area, that's pretty much Unixx in the south and The Base, Centric Sea, and Pattaya Posh in the central and northern areas.   I was concentrating on projects with sea view condos since we are at the beach and those are the projects I know the most. 

The reality is that most newer projects have smaller 1 bedroom units than some older projects.  They make up for it by having lots of amenities.  Older projects usually came with just a pool and maybe a gym.  Newer ones have big lobbies, sky lounges, yoga rooms, sky gardens, theaters, libraries, sauna and steam rooms, snooker rooms, children's play rooms, and on and on.  

The OP does have a budget for up to 30,000 baht so that could get him a 2 bedroom at the 3 newer high-rise projects I mentioned if he needs more space.  I also gave Northshore as a possibility for a smaller high-rise project with bigger 1 bedroom units.  I mentioned in my post that I am not that familiar with low-rise projects in Pattaya--others may jump in with those possibilities.  

• Like 2

Hi @newnative. I agree with most of your post above  ????

Sure there is a quiet year to come for AirBnB and alikes, but same short-time renting madness will start again in the future in the Base, the Edge, Centric... and as the OP is asking for some place "to live in Pattaya", so long time, I still not recommend them.

I have live for more than 10 years in Center Condo, in a 50 sqm unit on 15th floor facing the bay. Sure it's an old condo, but well maintained, well built, and most units have been several times renovated. A very good quality*location/price ratio IMHO. Many foreign expats living there, farangs managed, and I may well return there when Thailand will reopen. (Now stuck in France)

Center Condo, VT6 and Marland would be the places I would look in if I had to live in the OP's area.

Personally I may prefer in the future the South of Naklua or the West of Phratamnak hill.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Hi @newnative. I agree with most of your post above  ????

Sure there is a quiet year to come for AirBnB and alikes, but same short-time renting madness will start again in the future in the Base, the Edge, Centric... and as the OP is asking for some place "to live in Pattaya", so long time, I still not recommend them.

I have live for more than 10 years in Center Condo, in a 50 sqm unit on 15th floor facing the bay. Sure it's an old condo, but well maintained, well built, and most units have been several times renovated. A very good quality*location/price ratio IMHO. Many foreign expats living there, farangs managed, and I may well return there when Thailand will reopen. (Now stuck in France)

Center Condo, VT6 and Marland would be the places I would look in if I had to live in the OP's area.

Personally I may prefer in the future the South of Naklua or the West of Phratamnak hill.

I agree--if he plans to be in a project for more than a year those choices will likely return to being plagued by short-term tourists eventually.  If he is only planning for a year or less they might be possibilities.  I do think Centric Sea was making an effort to try to limit the illegal short-term tourists by banning them from the sky pools--they had a notice posted out front by the entrance but I have no idea how successful it was.  

I'm not familiar with Center Condo but it sounds like it could be a possibility, along with the others.  I think the best bet to avoid the short-term tourist problem in the future is to look for older condo projects with fewer units than the new mega-projects.  The beach area of Wong Amat is nice and it's an easy drive to Terminal 21, Marina, or Central Festival.  

• Like 1

I looked several times at buying in Markland.  Great views, great location.  Prices not bad.

But what turned me off every time was the elevators situation.  Bottom line is just not enough elevators to handle all the tourists and residents in a timely manner.   Maybe someone who lives there full time can comment but my experience was long waits, full elevators stopping at many floors and would get old very quickly.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Reading this thread, and mainly post #7, I would absolutely avoid Centric Sea or the Base if I wanted to live in Pattaya.

They are mainly "AirBnB hotels" with a permanent traffic of tourists with suitcases in lifts and a lot of noise from these tourists, mainly from Chinese who often keep their door open and shout to each other from a room to another!

Also keep in mind that the quality of these condos (and many other recent ones) is very bad on the soundproof point of view. A friend of mines bough in Centric for his retirement and sold after only 6 months of living in, because of the noise. 

Unixx in my opinion suffer to be too eccentric. Not on a bahtbus road and lost in a part of the city with no shops. Where do you go when you just want to have a meal?

Last point: Most these recent condos are tiny. They are made for a 1-week stay. Apartment starting around 24 sqm (!) and 1 bedroom around 32 sqm ! Yes they have bigger ones, but prices increase a lot...

We stayed at the BASE for two weeks until our current place opened up. Same owner owned both units so we got a good price.  22 floor sea view.
Great view, great location.  DISGUSTING PLACE.  I killed over 12 cockroaches in that two weeks.  Showers were like prison stalls.
I would NEVER recommend it.

As for tourists...this is a ghost town right now in half the places.  So no real worry about traffic, etc. 

I will say though, that when we go further in-city...Thais are out in full force living.  Doesn't look like a quarantine at all.  Good for them I say!

Although, might be sad that mom and pop place inventory is running low lol.  

I agree with the unnix location.  

So far...best Condo's seen have been in Jomtien for size, design, and price.  Best views and paradise has been Wongamat Beach area.

Best convenience is where I'm at now.

We have like two more months, maybe 3.  REally had intended on spending a month in several places in Thailand...but doesn't seem realistic anymore.  If they open things up again a bit, who knows.

Edited by Dart12
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pomchop said:

I looked several times at buying in Markland.  Great views, great location.  Prices not bad.

But what turned me off every time was the elevators situation.  Bottom line is just not enough elevators to handle all the tourists and residents in a timely manner.   Maybe someone who lives there full time can comment but my experience was long waits, full elevators stopping at many floors and would get old very quickly.

That was my take, as well.  Plus, I didn't care for the hotel component.  But, you're right, great location and views.

• Like 2

From my experience look for a place that is quiet inside and also from the outside. Especially bar noise can be a problem here in Pattaya. So look around before you decide. If you can rent only for a month or so at the beginning (didn't want to write for a short time... ????

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, newnative said:

Unixx has its own shuttle bus or it's a short walk to the bridge overpass intersection and you can  get the baht bus into town.

Unixx is on the baht bus route along Thappraya road isn't it?

I wouldn't stay in any of the AirBnB hotels like Unixx or the Base but Pratamnak the "Berverly Hills of Pattaya" is a great location.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Unixx is on the baht bus route along Thappraya road isn't it?

I wouldn't stay in any of the AirBnB hotels like Unixx or the Base but Pratamnak the "Berverly Hills of Pattaya" is a great location.

You can walk over to the intersection from Unixx and get the baht bus.  I used to live down by the beach on Pratamnuk Soi 6 and you are right, it's a nice area.  The only drawback is the lack of public transportation close by if you don't have a car. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 8:43 AM, Dart12 said:

I'm looking to stay within the lockdown area...So basically Pattaya Beach area. 

Lockdown means no travelling to Pattaya from outside provinces.  How are you getting here (you mentioned looking "online" so assume you are not here yet) 

PATTAYA ANNOUNCES CORONAVIRUS LOCKDOWN, KEEPS OUT ALL VISITORS

On 4/24/2020 at 10:41 AM, baansgr said:

Jomtien takes some beating, easy for immigration, plenty restaurants and bars when they are open, no police presence whatsoever, markets, mini lotus etc yet only a few minutes from Makro and Thepperasit. Baht buses everywhere so Pattaya easily accessible. Seen some real bargains lately on FB etc. There was a VT5 large seaview studio for 9k a month..I think 53sqm available.

I am very curious to know where you see FB posts about properties like VT5. I'd like to follow that. I've seen ads on the bulletin boards there for units between 10,000-15,000/month when I used to visit and occasionally stay in a friend's place there, but don't expect to be able to do that for several months yet. I intend to move from Bangkok to Pattaya when the emergency is over (currently residing at country place in the far reaches of Sa Kaeo province). Thanks in advance, Baansgr.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

It comes below Jomtien and Naklua when I'm thinking of staying in Pattaya, and they don't get very high up the list to start with.

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Lockdown means no travelling to Pattaya from outside provinces.  How are you getting here (you mentioned looking "online" so assume you are not here yet) 

These restrictions are not being enforced most of the time, and not at all between 4:00am and 6:00am.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skallywag said:

No.  I live within the lockdown area.   Actually quite nice and serene with no vacationers ????.  One of the big reasons people don't like living in this area is all the congestion.  Absolutely none of that now.

49 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Can I ask.........what is anybody's take on renting/buying a pool villas/house in the Pattaya area? 

Villas/houses seem incredibly good value compared to condos both in terms of rent or purchase.

Is there a catch?

garden and maintenancve perhaps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Can I ask.........what is anybody's take on renting/buying a pool villas/house in the Pattaya area? 

Villas/houses seem incredibly good value compared to condos both in terms of rent or purchase.

Is there a catch?

Villa owners have been much more willing to negotiate lower rent prices.

Not sure if that info helps you at all.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, surinleo said:

If you are interested in AMARI RESIDENCE, Pratumnak, Please PM me.

Please PM me @surinleo with Photos of the available unit and relevant information such as:
size, bedrooms,

bathrooms,

price, seaview?,

floor it's on,

if gym is open now?, 
Parking?

Thank you

On 4/24/2020 at 12:35 PM, seasia said:

They also wrongly demand 2 months deposit.

The one month deposit law  ONLY applies to owners of 5 or more units or properties. Read at the bottom of the law under exceptions and you will see this clearly posted. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 4:41 AM, baansgr said:

Jomtien takes some beating, easy for immigration, plenty restaurants and bars when they are open, no police presence whatsoever, markets, mini lotus etc yet only a few minutes from Makro and Thepperasit. Baht buses everywhere so Pattaya easily accessible. Seen some real bargains lately on FB etc. There was a VT5 large seaview studio for 9k a month..I think 53sqm available.

This all day long. I live in Jomtien and don't plan on leaving

• Like 2

I've found a brand new condo complex 1 bedroom overlooking beautiful salt water pool, kitchen, 2 air con units, Sky TV, Free Wifi,  Cleaned twice a week including bed linen and towels. Electricity and water at Government rates. 11300 Baht a month but I'm keeping it to myself don't need the dross there. ????????????

• Haha 1