Haircuts and Prescription Reading Glasses: When will these be again available?

JohnBarleycorn

Reading the news online, it is possible that many shops will continue to remain closed in Chiang Mai, although still not certain.  If shops remain mostly closed, then what to do about haircuts and reading glasses?

a.  As for reading glasses, I went online to see if there might be some way I can use my phone to test my eyes. Yes, there actually is an app that can do this, and is accurate.  However, this also requires some sort of device that attaches to the phone.  I don't think I can get such a device in Chiang Mai at the moment.

When stores selling eyeglasses do open, is there one, in particular, that might be best which is within walking distance of CMU?

Normally, I use a great shop in Pantip Plaza. But, after checking just now, I think this shop may be out of business.

Years ago, I bought some reading glasses from a shop very near CMU. But, the prescription they provided me was a disaster.  The lenses were as thick as glass on a jelly jar, way too powerful.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

b. As for hair cutting, it has been about three months since I last sat down for a cut.  I have a great barber, but I am worried about social distancing in this case.  And, yes, I DO believe in continuing to social distance even though too many individuals seem not to share my belief in adhering to a strict policy of staying at least 6 meters apart from others I meet.  These days, I seldom go out, in fact.

So, I am curious to know if anyone knows the best method for self-cutting of hair?  In the case of self-prescribing my own reading glasses prescription, I lack only the device which attaches to my phone. However, for self-cutting of hair, I lack only the experience of doing this. 

When I look in the mirror trying to cut my own hair, it is not so easy.  Everything is reversed.  Everything is counter intuitive.  My left hand becomes my right, and my right hand becomes my left.  When I move my left hand to the right, all I see is my right hand moving to my left.

I have no wife to cut my hair.

So, what method is best, or what method do you use?

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS:  Considering how the Wuhan Virus situation stands now, and considering the improbability of having an effective vaccine available to me before sometime in 2021, I highly doubt that I will be willing to visit either the optician or my barber before June, 14 months from today.  This is super inconvenient for me.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Word said:

What use would a glasses prescription be now before the opticians are allowed to open again, where would you get the glasses made up?   Wait until the opticians are open and get it done properly.

I can order, easily, online.  Prices are good.  But, in this case, I would also need to order new frames.  I have frames sitting here without lenses.  But if I ordered lenses, I would not be able to cut them myself, of course.  All I have now to use are the reading glasses, super strong, which I bought in 2013.

The problem with using my old super-strong reading glasses is that when wear them for texting my phone appears to be twice as big as it actually is.

OK for a temporary solution, but I really need new reading glasses, and I am a bit worried. I need to read or I can't work.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

1 hour ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I can order, easily, online.  Prices are good.  But, in this case, I would also need to order new frames.  I have frames sitting here without lenses.  But if I ordered lenses, I would not be able to cut them myself, of course.  All I have now to use are the reading glasses, super strong, which I bought in 2013.

You don't have to buy new frames, but then you would have to go to the Post Office to send them off to the online company.

I get mine from here; https://www.selectspecs.com Though I seen a few mention; https://www.zennioptical.com/

My hairdresser (we're in UK) is coming to my house on Monday for my second lockdown haircut.  Poor guy is struggling as he can't open his barbers but is still paying full rent.  He's delivering parcels during the day now to settle his shop rental obligations.  I've had C19 and he has also as we both know without requiring a test.  

Anyway, I get a much needed haircut and he gets some much needed cash.  His usual shop rate is £11 for a haircut but I've bumped this up to £25 for home visit.  My choice and feel it's a fair rate all things considered and he's happy with it too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torturedsole said:

My hairdresser (we're in UK) is coming to my house on Monday for my second lockdown haircut.  Poor guy is struggling as he can't open his barbers but is still paying full rent.  He's delivering parcels during the day now to settle his shop rental obligations.  I've had C19 and he has also as we both know without requiring a test.  

Anyway, I get a much needed haircut and he gets some much needed cash.  His usual shop rate is £11 for a haircut but I've bumped this up to £25 for home visit.  My choice and feel it's a fair rate all things considered and he's happy with it too.  

Well you getting ripped of in any case, i pay 10Australian dollars for my haircut

which is just 5 English pounds I guess.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

Well you getting ripped of in any case, i pay 10Australian dollars for my haircut

I don't feel ripped off as was my choice to pay him £25 for lockdown haircut.  He has to pay petrol to get over here as he lives 10 miles away.

I found a bag of plain flour for sale today and the cost was double pre-C19 rates and also purchased garlic two weeks ago from local convenience store and that was double price also (not complaining as needed plain flour and garlic) .  Our lockdown shopping bill has also significantly increased as we do weekly shop in M&S now as queues are virtually non-existent and shelves generally well-stocked compared to Morrisons, Tesco and Asda.  

When it all pans out my wife and I are better off financially during lockdown even taking into account the increased prices of goods.  

4 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

I don't feel ripped off as was my choice to pay him £25 for lockdown haircut.  He has to pay petrol to get over here as he lives 10 miles away.

I found a bag of plain flour for sale today and the cost was double pre-C19 rates and also purchased garlic two weeks ago from local convenience store and that was double price also (not complaining as needed plain flour and garlic) .  Our lockdown shopping bill has also significantly increased as we do weekly shop in M&S now as queues are virtually non-existent and shelves generally well-stocked compared to Morrisons, Tesco and Asda.  

When it all pans out my wife and I are better off financially during lockdown even taking into account the increased prices of goods.  

Maybe you misunderstood me I am not complaining you pay him more now because

he comes to your place I was just comparing the normal haircut price compared to

my country.

• Confused 1

Just now, White Christmas13 said:

Maybe you misunderstood me I am not complaining you pay him more now because

he comes to your place I was just comparing the normal haircut price compared to

my country.

17 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

You did emphatically state that I was being ripped off.  Take care.  :whistling:

23 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You've managed ok for the last 7 years, what difference does another year and a bit make?

My eyes are deteriorating from self-isolation, much more rapidly than normally.

I think it might be the lack of exercise.

Or, it could be that while self-isolating in my room I seldom have the chance to see things at far distances.

Most of the time, I am just either working on the computer or staring at the four walls.

I think that I need new reading glasses as a result.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

£11 is cheap for UK, at least in the south east.  Maybe Aussie barbers get through more cuts, I don't know.  ????

Yes it all depends on the average wage in that country I guess 

and yes Aussie barbers or hairdressers are always full.

And don't get me wrong I was not criticizing you and and good 

on you for helping

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArchiePike said:

You sound like an absoulute muppet 

Exactly, you can buy reading glasses anywhere. Surely you must know what strength you use?

They cost pennies, just buy several pairs at different strengths and see which is best

If it's important for work then you need to get it sorted, rather than faffing about

It's much harder to buy glasses for shortsightedness online

Haircut, just buy some clippers and do it yourself. It's hardly rocket science.

All these people moaning about haircuts is pathetic. 

If you aren't going to leave the house, does it really matter if a shaved head doesn't suit you??

Not sure why you are worried about Covid 19 in Thailand

Apparently (according to the govt) it doesn't exist????

Honestly you need to get a grip of yourself, you are acting irrationally 

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

Yes it all depends on the average wage in that country I guess 

and yes Aussie barbers or hairdressers are always full.

And don't get me wrong I was not criticizing you and and good 

on you for helping

Not a problem and I'm not here to argue.  Take care.