Haircuts and Prescription Reading Glasses: When will these be again available?

JohnBarleycorn

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

Very funny but most Australian barbers are Asians, yes most of them are Chinese.

Which leads on nicely as to why Oz has such low C19 figures.  Particularly when most of your hairdressers are Chinese.  The mind boggles.  

3 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Which leads on nicely as to why Oz has such low C19 figures.  Particularly when most of your hairdressers are Chinese.  The mind boggles.  

Last time I went to the barbers I said how much is a haircut,he said £10,I then said how much is a shave?, He said £5, I said here's a fiver shave my head.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Exactly, you can buy reading glasses anywhere. Surely you must know what strength you use?

They cost pennies, just buy several pairs at different strengths and see which is best

If it's important for work then you need to get it sorted, rather than faffing about

It's much harder to buy glasses for shortsightedness online

Haircut, just buy some clippers and do it yourself. It's hardly rocket science.

All these people moaning about haircuts is pathetic. 

If you aren't going to leave the house, does it really matter if a shaved head doesn't suit you??

Not sure why you are worried about Covid 19 in Thailand

Apparently (according to the govt) it doesn't exist????

Honestly you need to get a grip of yourself, you are acting irrationally 

I fully understand what you are saying, and I normally would not care about my hair length, style, or whether it was trimmed myself or professionally.

However, now that I must do much more video conferencing online for work, being on camera so often makes me more conscious of both my looks and also my hair.

I don't look good with a basic-training military-recruit type buzz cut. It looks weird.

Not in the area you're looking for, but the KT Optic shop next to Rimping in Mae Hia Market has a sign taped on the window that says 'Now Open' (I saw it before their normal opening hours so the shop was closed at the time, but it's definitely a new sign, so I'd guess they're back in business).

Edited by flare

9 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

He needs to get a grip, completely embarrassing himself on this thread

Get a grip?  I agree!

And, when I finally get myself together, I'm going to get down in that sunny southern Thailand weather.

You know, I almost cut my hair. It happened just the other day. It's been getting kind of long, and it's been getting in my way.

But, I didn't, and there's a reason why. I feel like, before I get the Wuhan flu for Christmas and die, I just feel I need to let my freak flag fly.

Living in self-isolation increases my paranoia.  Sort of like looking at my mirror and seeing a police car.

Still, as you say, I must finally get myself together.

Now is the time to separate the wheat from the chaff.

But, I am not going to cut my hair myself.

I feel like I owe it to someone to look up to par.

• Confused 1

Does anyone know where I can get, locally in Chiang Mai, one of these EyeQue devices, or similar tool, in order to determine my prescription, from home?

I am sure that many people would rather test themselves, rather than to sit in a chair for 30 minutes only 30 centimeters or less from an optometrist, just to get a prescription for eyeglasses, either near or farsighted.

No doubt, EyeQue's business will not suffer during this Season of the Wuhan Virus.

IF ANY LOCAL SHOP were to offer these, on loan for a few hours, then I would surely spend my money to buy lenses/frames at said shop.  Hope this happens soon.

EyeQue.jpg.ebb48a2d9ee78753346998394bfca5bd.jpg

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

13 hours ago, ArchiePike said:

You sound like an absoulute muppet 

Why is he a muppet? I was going to ask the same question, but with regard to desktop magnifiers. During the pandemic, I've been unable to access my usual supply of shoelaces, and things are getting desperate. As you have no doubt noticed, a quality shoelace is a plaited item. Over the past month, I've learned from You Tube videos, how to correctly plait polyester fibre, and I'm ready to make my own laces. I ordered a reel of black #288 shoelace fibre from Lisbon (where all the decent fibre comes from), and I've set up a small workshop at home, ready to start plaiting. The problem is my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I really need to install a desktop magnifier to have any chance of plaiting without producing knots or lumps (called dimers in the lacing trade.) I really need a good optical shop to be open, or I won't be able to produce clean laces, and I'll have to go back to chafing my feet to smithereens in unlaced shoes. I'll probably have to learn how to grind lenses, and make my own magnifier, in order to plait safely. God these shoes are killing me...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aboctok said:

Why is he a muppet? I was going to ask the same question, but with regard to desktop magnifiers. During the pandemic, I've been unable to access my usual supply of shoelaces, and things are getting desperate. As you have no doubt noticed, a quality shoelace is a plaited item. Over the past month, I've learned from You Tube videos, how to correctly plait polyester fibre, and I'm ready to make my own laces. I ordered a reel of black #288 shoelace fibre from Lisbon (where all the decent fibre comes from), and I've set up a small workshop at home, ready to start plaiting. The problem is my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I really need to install a desktop magnifier to have any chance of plaiting without producing knots or lumps (called dimers in the lacing trade.) I really need a good optical shop to be open, or I won't be able to produce clean laces, and I'll have to go back to chafing my feet to smithereens in unlaced shoes. I'll probably have to learn how to grind lenses, and make my own magnifier, in order to plait safely. God these shoes are killing me...

The world has changed.  Business is moving online more rapidly now than ever before.  Bricks and mortar optical stores for eyeglasses will soon be a thing of the past.

Even routine eye exam screening will be conducted through AI on your phone.

Besides, many optometrists one finds in optical shops are poorly trained and they make mistakes.  AI and phones do not make simple mistakes. There is no human error because, yes you guessed it, phones are not human; they are machines.

eye-app1x-20af03bb9ed9c049f5d994ec51d8ae7402bd3171-s800-c85.jpg.0869c8218510e7db66fa0328df151de5.jpg

5 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

The world has changed.  Business is moving online more rapidly now than ever before.  Bricks and mortar optical stores for eyeglasses will soon be a thing of the past.

Even routine eye exam screening will be conducted through AI on your phone.

Besides, many optometrists one finds in optical shops are poorly trained and they make mistakes.  AI and phones do not make simple mistakes. There is no human error because, yes you guessed it, phones are not human; they are machines.

eye-app1x-20af03bb9ed9c049f5d994ec51d8ae7402bd3171-s800-c85.jpg.0869c8218510e7db66fa0328df151de5.jpg

So you're saying why take our chances with an error-prone human when we can use reliable, well-designed machines. This makes a lot of sense. Just look at the wheel. And the hook. And the bottom drawer.

3 minutes ago, aboctok said:

So you're saying why take our chances with an error-prone human when we can use reliable, well-designed machines. This makes a lot of sense. Just look at the wheel. And the hook. And the bottom drawer.

Yes.  And, I am also saying that we need to move to a cashless society as quickly as possible, if only to thwart the spread of the Wuhan Virus.

I do not want to pay for my lenses and frames using cash.

I want to pay by app.

2 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Yes.  And, I am also saying that we need to move to a cashless society as quickly as possible, if only to thwart the spread of the Wuhan Virus.

I do not want to pay for my lenses and frames using cash.

I want to pay by app.

Way ahead of you, bud. Two months forced unemployment, cashless is exactly what I am.

20 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

You don't have to buy new frames, but then you would have to go to the Post Office to send them off to the online company.

I get mine from here; https://www.selectspecs.com Though I seen a few mention; https://www.zennioptical.com/

Zenni are superb. Prescription progressive lenses, Varilux, non-reflective and titanium rimless frames. Sent them my prescription online, got them last week, 7 days. $130. 

22 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I can order, easily, online.  Prices are good.  But, in this case, I would also need to order new frames.  I have frames sitting here without lenses.  But if I ordered lenses, I would not be able to cut them myself, of course.  All I have now to use are the reading glasses, super strong, which I bought in 2013.

You have heard of news online?There must be some CM newspapers online. Read those instead of asking questions no one can answer. My crystal ball refuses to answer any questions what so ever about the lockdowns.

3 hours ago, aboctok said:

Way ahead of you, bud. Two months forced unemployment, cashless is exactly what I am.

I must say, your humor is most refreshing, especially during this dastardly Season of the Wuhan Virus now affecting every one of us.

No doubt, when it is over, we will all be enjoying a much improved cashless society, and purchasing everything through almost-instantaneous microloans using apps on our phones.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn
  • Haha 1

Absolutely, my macbook pro is the best ever.  One button = total mute on all those incredibly annoying pop-up zoom adverts, right in my, and your, face.  I will never buy, or even, consider buying anything on one of those video ads.  So very glad i cannot hear them.

And regarding home haircuts: not to difficult but made way easier if headowner not too particular nor vain.  Put the length attachment short, 5mm is best and zoom around your head. Keep the blade cleaned of hair to avoid clogging.  When near done, take small mirror and inspect rear of head, the hardest part.  Sweep up later.  Take shower last.

And one final note: nobody gives a sh*t what yur hair looks like.

10 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Absolutely, my macbook pro is the best ever.  One button = total mute on all those incredibly annoying pop-up zoom adverts, right in my, and your, face.  I will never buy, or even, consider buying anything on one of those video ads.  So very glad i cannot hear them.

And regarding home haircuts: not to difficult but made way easier if headowner not too particular nor vain.  Put the length attachment short, 5mm is best and zoom around your head. Keep the blade cleaned of hair to avoid clogging.  When near done, take small mirror and inspect rear of head, the hardest part.  Sweep up later.  Take shower last.

And one final note: nobody gives a sh*t what yur hair looks like.

IF I were to have a buzz cut (males receive their first military haircut, often called a buzz cut, where they are left essentially bald.) then I know that I would already be on a slippery slope. Inevitably, a black and white vertically striped shirt would follow.  And next, I would be singing, "Hooh aah"....."Hooh aah", singing (Hooh ahh), and dreamin' of my memories down on the chain gang in some Louisiana bayou.  No.  Not for me.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

15 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I fully understand what you are saying, and I normally would not care about my hair length, style, or whether it was trimmed myself or professionally.

However, now that I must do much more video conferencing online for work, being on camera so often makes me more conscious of both my looks and also my hair.

I don't look good with a basic-training military-recruit type buzz cut. It looks weird.

Then for a profesional look go to a barbers and have it done. I know a hairdresser in Trat who's shop is opening soon. Bangkok, Pattaya and other provinces will open soon just make sure you and the barber wear a mask. As far as glasses same. Untill the you can find optomitrist try Watson's  or Brooks shops for generic reading glasses. The Optomitrists will also be opening soon (Masks)  The extra strong glasses will hurt/damage your eyes if you continue to wear.  Can order some Pin Hole  glasses online, only wear for 15---20 mins a day to exercise your eye muscles.    Can buy Lazada or many places

https://shopee.co.th/Black-Eyesight-Improvement-Healing-Vision-Eye-Care-Excercising-Pinhole-Glass-i.36597629.596327542?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoNCEqICG6QIVVSUrCh3k0gALEAQYBSABEgJWkfD_BwE

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/the-truth-about-pinhole-glasses-1253113.html

Edited by Tony125

43 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Then for a profesional look go to a barbers and have it done. I know a hairdresser in Trat who's shop is opening soon. Bangkok, Pattaya and other provinces will open soon just make sure you and the barber wear a mask. As far as glasses same. Untill the you can find optomitrist try Watson's  or Brooks shops for generic reading glasses. The Optomitrists will also be opening soon (Masks)  The extra strong glasses will hurt/damage your eyes if you continue to wear.  Can order some Pin Hole  glasses online, only wear for 15---20 mins a day to exercise your eye muscles.    Can buy Lazada or many places

https://shopee.co.th/Black-Eyesight-Improvement-Healing-Vision-Eye-Care-Excercising-Pinhole-Glass-i.36597629.596327542?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoNCEqICG6QIVVSUrCh3k0gALEAQYBSABEgJWkfD_BwE

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/the-truth-about-pinhole-glasses-1253113.html

Good advice.  The reason the super strong reading glasses have lasted 7 years is because I hardly every wear them, unless I need to read super-small print on pharmaceutical inserts, which practically nobody can read without a magnifying glass.

I don't know what pin Hole glasses might be, but I will check them out.  (Of course, I do know what a pinhole camera is)

But, sorry, no way will I go to a barber until we have a vaccine for the Wuhan Virus.  I definitely will not change my mind about this point.

When I was young, we had many hippies wandering around America. I tolerated them, but I was never one of them. One of their trademarks was to grow long hair and long beards. Most walked around very unkempt, trying to make a "statement" about rebellion and revolution.  Mostly, they just appeared to be unwashed and high as a kite.  Really out of it.

So, I do not mind long hair.  As a few commenters stated above, correctly I think.  During these times, what does it matter what one looks like.

And now, after reading some of the posts in this thread, I think what I will do is just to see if I can find a rubber band in my rooms.  And then, if I can find a few rubber bands, I will let my freak flag fly, and I will grow a ponytail, and leave it at that.

Some of the world's greatest thinkers sported long ponytails.  I wanted to here attach two or three photos of a few great men with long hair bound in back, but Google Search has failed me, alas.

I don't suppose you might have examples of famous thinkers with ponytails?  There must be many.

As I recall, for example, Benjamin Franklin arrived in Philly with a ponytail.  And I thought he looked great. He was a smart man, indeed.

Most definitely, I have decided to give up haircuts until such time as Bill Gates provides us with a vaccine.  And no buzz cuts for me!

If anyone complains, I will tell them to blame it on Xi and his Wuhan Virus.  (Wow!  I am so very POed at Xi, about now. Can't contain my fury!)

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

On 4/26/2020 at 12:31 AM, White Christmas13 said:

Well you getting ripped of in any case, i pay 10Australian dollars for my haircut

which is just 5 English pounds I guess.

You must live in a completely different and cheap economy, to be able to get a barber to make a house call to cut your hair. In the last city I lived in, it was a trip across town to pay $30. Tell me where to go to get one of these super cheap and high quality haircuts!

• 1 month later...

Last week, Saturday, I ventured out to buy some cheap reading glasses.... Bt.1600.00

But, the right lens is not right.

So now I must return to have this corrected (pun).

But, this is not why I am updating!:

April 20, I decided to not cut my hair.

So far, so good.

I am on my way to having about one foot of hair on my head.

One inch every two months, I think.

So, by the time we get a vaccine, then I should have about one foot on my head.

(I never thought that I would have the opportunity to grow my hair long, again.  But, now is the time.)

My hair looks long but not yet freaky.

Wait another year, and I will look like a freak.

I cannot wait!

1492740512_ReadingGlasses.thumb.jpg.a20250c5e5c1e71e3cf5d8ac4423ad0a.jpg

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

On 4/26/2020 at 8:02 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

I am now convinced that there are people on this forum with multiple usernames

I think there are more people with multiple personalities using one user name; we are certainly at least two, although one of us is an Orangutan. an inter-species incorporated transubstantiation resulting from a metaphysical singularity.

~o:37;