More people with this experience?

DiJoDavO

Just now, Pilotman said:

'Farang' to a Thai is not a racist or a derogatory term.  It is much like saying Westerner or foreigner and has no more of a negative connotation than if we say 'Asian'. or African.     

I understand it's not racist or derogatory by any means.  But reverse the situation and your in the UK (guessing) and your neighbor who has met your Thai wife many times keeps referring to her as that Asian.  Hey how long will your Asian wife be staying in the UK? as example.

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems to happen in the provinces more than the tourist areas or Bangkok. I was in a Tesco-Lotus. I was wearing a mask and pushing a cart that had been sprayed with sanitizer. As I came down an aisle--slowly, respecting social distance--a middle-aged Thai man saw me and leapt as far away from me as he could, practically knocking corn flakes off the shelf. Moron. The Thai government's own website makes it clear that 99% of COBID-19 cases in Thailand are Thais. So if you are afraid of catching COVID-19, avoid Thai people. https://covid19.ddc.moph.go.th/en

Nationality.jpg.9407131f356ea276a77dadacf933ed04.jpg

Edited by Roy Baht
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BeltAndRoad said:

I understand it's not racist or derogatory by any means.  But reverse the situation and your in the UK (guessing) and your neighbor who has met your Thai wife many times keeps referring to her as that Asian.  Hey how long will your Asian wife be staying in the UK? as example.

Its not a good example. He would/could call her Thai because he would know her Nationality.  'Farang' is an all encompassing word for westerners, because Thais cannot distinguish between Nationalities and  don't know what country westerners are from.  if they do, they often use that word, such as American or English. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I agree, honestly i don't care so much anymore, but i can understand that having children makes you feel... Not sure it's the right word.. Vulnerable ?

Btw, in my previous post, i was not referring specifically to the word "farang", but more to the ignorant racial stereotyping, which you can find in all cultures, and i have to admit that i'm not totally innocent too, although i try hard to see every individual as a unique individual.

I grew up in a low socio economic region of rural Australia, from a young age i learnt that vulnerability is a state of mind that should never be entertained.  Though i do worry about my children feeling ostracized. 

• Like 1

I have encountered this, yes. SomeThais are fearful of toreigners thinking they my be infected.

And, truthfully, a disproportiontr percent of confirmed cases here have been i Westerners.

It is even worse in Cambodia were most of the cases have been Westerners. People there re really scared now of Westerners.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Its not a good example. He would/could call her Thai because he would know her Nationality.  'Farang' is an all encompassing word for westerners, because Thais cannot distinguish between Nationalities and  don't know what country westerners are from.  if they do, they often use that word, such as American or English. 

You are probably right, the guy is always nice to me and smiles, as i do with him.  He knows my name, i just think he should use that, but maybe he's embarrassed because he cant pronounce it or something. again i think you are correct. 

I grew up in a low socio economic region of rural Australia, from a young age i learnt that vulnerability is a state of mind that should never be entertained.  Though i do worry about my children feeling ostracized. 

Understand. I learned the same as a inexperienced teen walking the roads of Asia.

Yet, when you have the responsibility of raising children (been there, done that) you are more sensitive in a way, because you are carrying lots more weight, physically and morally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are probably right, the guy is always nice to me and smiles, as i do with him.  He knows my name, i just think he should use that, but maybe he's embarrassed because he cant pronounce it or something. again i think you are correct. 

haha, my mother in law still calls me 'the farang', and that's after 23 years  of being married to her daughter, and she visited us twice in UK.  I look upon it as a term of endearment  as she always says it with a smile on her face !  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have encountered this, yes. SomeThais are fearful of toreigners thinking they my be infected.

And, truthfully, a disproportiontr percent of confirmed cases here have been i Westerners.

It is even worse in Cambodia were most of the cases have been Westerners. People there re really scared now of Westerners.

Not to worry though, if the Japanese while occupying Thailand, couldn't turn the Thais against westerners during WW2 then the flu surely isn't. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

Yeah, it seems to happen in the provinces more than the tourist areas or Bangkok. I was in a Tesco-Lotus. I was wearing a mask and pushing a cart that had been sprayed with sanitizer. As I came down an aisle--slowly, respecting social distance--a middle-aged Thai man saw me and leapt as far away from me as he could, practically knocking corn flakes off the shelf. Moron. The Thai government's own website makes it clear that 99% of COBID-19 cases in Thailand are Thais. So if you are afraid of catching COVID-19, avoid Thai people. https://covid19.ddc.moph.go.th/en

I have experienced this, though it was about eighteen months ago. Your not 6 foot and pushing 100kg are you?

58 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

haha, my mother in law still calls me 'the farang', and that's after 23 years  of being married to her daughter, and she visited us twice in UK.  I look upon it as a term of endearment  as she always says it with a smile on her face !  

"...with a smile on her face" while counting her monthly overseas income...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, thurien said:

"...with a smile on her face" while counting her monthly overseas income...

sorry, I don't get your inference, at least I do.  Her income does not come from me, if that is what you are indeed inferring, its from her own pension pot as a retired Civil Servant. What is the phrase they used in the Military, "don't assume, check"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

How does that gel with the graph presented earlier?

1 hour ago, Roy Baht said:

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Now the news everyday have more euro/US people die so much. More than Chinese x30

Yeah, right. As with your own government, I would take that with a massive pinch of salt. Wouldn't surprise me to learn China is equal to US and Europe.

Saddening, though, if the Thais are starting to react like that from something that is not the fault of the lowly farang. And once that takes hold (especially if pushed by the people that run the place), it'll be ingrained.

20 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

And once that takes hold (especially if pushed by the people that run the place), it'll be ingrained.

I tend to give the Thai people more kudos than that. Just look at the posts in the "social media battle" with the Chinese recently e.g. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2942654555781330&id=846555798724560 or the flak Anutin got on Twitter after his dumb tirade after his handing out masks PR stunt.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

So I went to the supermarket and arrived at the cashier. And all lines were so full, people were even standing in the aisles. Finally it was my turn, but when I turned around I saw no one lined up behind me.

Were you wearing this T shirt?

Too close.JPG

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

sorry, I don't get your inference, at least I do.  Her income does not come from me, if that is what you are indeed inferring, its from her own pension pot as a retired Civil Servant. What is the phrase they used in the Military, "don't assume, check"

Assumption is the Mother of all f#ck ups?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

In Bangkok at a Max Valu. It didn't seem anyone was avoiding me, until I reached the cashier. I even paid already and no one wanted to put their stuff down behind me. 

Only one guy who found a gap to get out of his line all the way in the aisle. 

I hope this won't be that new way of living I've heard about. 

You probably experienced hallucinations from reading too much Thai visa forum 

did you pass gas? sounds funny, but i do that on occassion in an empty isle and almost invariable someone comes down the isle in a hurry right when the bomb is hitting. i have learned to brush it off and put it down to bad timing, or karma.

18 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Just ask the genius Anutin. 

I think you made a mistake here in your spelling. You typed 'genius'. You need to replace the G with a P and remove the U to correct this. Hope this helps.