More people with this experience?

DiJoDavO

In Bangkok at a Max Valu. It didn't seem anyone was avoiding me, until I reached the cashier. I even paid already and no one wanted to put their stuff down behind me. 

Only one guy who found a gap to get out of his line all the way in the aisle. 

I hope this won't be that new way of living I've heard about. 

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Apparently government sources are promoting the concept foreigners brought the virus in. Which is correct, but they have not specified it was the Chinese. Presumably they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. 

The west also brings money in. I don't get why they promote such things. I've heard some news that foreigners were being pointed at but this is the first time that I've experienced something like this.

maybe they just liked the line they were in.

I have noticed this before though about lines and queing up, Ive been in 7/11 a few times and noticed some don't even notice there is a till open and the cashier has to shout to tell them to move. oblivious a lot of them.

55 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Is this just because they think all foreigners have Covid? 

Are you white or whiteish?

If so, Western countries have been hit the hardest so yes sure.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Are you white or whiteish?

If so, Western countries have been hit the hardest so yes sure.

I am. That's what I thought. 

17 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I usually  have that experience after eating Broccoli, what did you have for lunch?:tongue:

10 minutes ago, lee b said:

Nor me, The Thais here are stood right next to you and cant wait to be out of the market doors.

Normally, yes. That's why I was surprised. Most people get out of their line if another one is free. 

About my lunch, you probably figured out the problem. Somtum????

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I am. That's what I thought. 

Normally, yes. That's why I was surprised. Most people get out of their line if another one is free. 

About my lunch, you probably figured out the problem. Somtum????

Of course i was joking about the lunch.

Its a reasonable reaction IMO. We are stuck in the US until they open up travel again, but when we go to the market, if we see someone we consider to be a high risk person (no mask, wears a MAGA hat. LOL)  we walk the other way. When we go to the check out  we do the same thing.

Not unreasonable to when they see a foreigner to want o give a wide berth.   

Where is he from? did he just come out of a plane? Is he infected? is he bringing the virus? Is he one of them that does not want to wear a face mask ?  As much as we know each other, Most Thais don't really know as at all. 

If I was you I would enjoy the space and see if i get the person in front of me to leave also. 

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Possibly many Thais believe, given the numbers of deaths in western countries, that "our covid" is worse .

I think for possibly read definitely. I  seem to remember that about a month ago, a leading Thai doctor warned that Thailand could be hit by the deadly Italian strain of the virus...

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

It took one man in the aisle with some common sense to get through and line up behind me, before everyone lined up behind him. 

Maybe they thought it was a farang express line at first ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

In the same way, i hate when they say Farang this and Farang that.

I've never experienced the issue that the OP mentions, but this really annoys me, it never used to until i had children.  I also don't care when strangers say it in referring to me. But when the next door neighbor who has known me for years still says falang when referring to me really pi^ses me off, especially when he does it in front of my children.

• Thanks 1

Me and friend go to Phuket March 10. We try avoid Chinese. Be careful. Maybe some you guys do same?

Now the news everyday have more euro/US people die so much. More than Chinese x30

I will be same with Westerner (and Chinese) now sure. You give money cashier, maybe be my change. Safety first. I not want to die.

Not hate you, better be safe. Not racism. 

Love you

Yinn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BeltAndRoad said:

I've never experienced the issue that the OP mentions, but this really annoys me, it never used to until i had children.  I also don't care when strangers say it in referring to me. But when the next door neighbor who has known me for years still says falang when referring to me really pi^ses me off, especially when he does it in front of my children.

I agree, honestly i don't care so much anymore, but i can understand that having children makes you feel... Not sure it's the right word.. Vulnerable ?

Btw, in my previous post, i was not referring specifically to the word "farang", but more to the ignorant racial stereotyping, which you can find in all cultures, and i have to admit that i'm not totally innocent too, although i try hard to see every individual as a unique individual.

• Thanks 1