It's that thing in the sky AGAIN

Speedo1968

Last year I posted a request if anyone could suggest what I was seeing accompanying the moon in the early evenings for many months and constantly changing its position in respect to the moon.
Sometimes there were two objects close ( relatively speaking ) to each other.
I changed my daily routine to late afternoon walks but am now back to my early evening ones.

I thought the object may have been the ISS ( International Space Station ), with a possible restocking vehicle.
Could it be a planet or two ?
Could it be a satellite ?

A number of people replied with interesting information but it has still left me confused.

I live about 50km south of Khon Kaen.
Three nights ago around 6.30pm I was walking in the local park which is outside of the nearest town.

The sky was very clear, in the NNW of the sky was the crescent moon dropping in the direction of the already setting sun, to the moons right at about 2 o'clock and a hands distance from the moon was a very bright object.    It was very clearly shaped like a dumbbell and very very bright with each end more bright than the joining section.   In relation to the moons size the object looked to be quite big.   Over a 30 minute period they continued following each other.   

Sorry no photos as my eyesight with / without glasses makes it difficult to see what I am photographing and the moon or stars always giving a shimmering picture.

Again does anyone have any idea what it might be, other than a visiting friend of ALF.

5 minutes ago, taotoo said:

A few months ago it was Venus plus either Jupiter or Saturn.

Now it's highly likely to be Venus.

The dumbell shape is your eye's astigmatism or other flaw.

I thought it was Uranus?

• Haha 1

I think it is Venus (picture from beer garden Pattaya 28 March attached). There is a cracking app called sky map. If it is a natural celestial body, Sky Map will tell you what it is. If it is man-made you're on your own.502956198_Screenshot_20200428-002510_SkyMap.thumb.jpg.ad3c30441f7b73d57fed7421cc5893f0.jpg

Screenshot_20200428-003203_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.history.com/news/navy-confirms-ufo-videos-real

The news that the Navy considers the three videos—unofficially known as “FLIR1,” “Gimbal” and “GoFast”—as examples of UAPs first appeared on The Black Vault, a web site that specializes in declassified government documents. “FLIR1” is from November 14, 2004, and “Gimbal” and “GoFast” are from January 21, 2015. Joseph Gradisher, official spokesperson for the deputy chief of naval operations for information warfare, emphasized to HISTORY that these videos represent only some of the UAP sightings the Navy is investigating.

• Sad 1

Yes it's still Venus, just as it was back when you last asked. There are no other visible planets around just now in the evening. They're all hanging out the early morning.

Saturn, Jupiter and Mars can be seen in close conjunction in the morning if you're up early enough. Pluto has also tried to join in, but she's not allowed into 'planet gigs' anymore. ???? 

If you want to know what's in the night sky, here's a good web site to use.

https://in-the-sky.org/skymap.php 

Also for those who can access the BBC iPlayer, there's a currently a brilliant series about the planets by Prof Brian Cox.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes it's still Venus, just as it was back when you last asked. There are no other visible planets around just now in the evening. They're all hanging out the early morning.

Saturn, Jupiter and Mars can be seen in close conjunction in the morning if you're up early enough. Pluto has also tried to join in, but she's not allowed into 'planet gigs' anymore. ???? 

If you want to know what's in the night sky, here's a good web site to use.

https://in-the-sky.org/skymap.php 

Also for those who can access the BBC iPlayer, there's a currently a brilliant series about the planets by Prof Brian Cox.

Thanks again Moonlover for taking time to reply.
In recent months I have had to change my evening walking schedule so seen far less of the sky.
This time the object was a very clear dumbbell shape although another person who replied said that it is my eye's astigmatism.    To me the bells were extremely bright and the adjoining section was clear.
It was a wonderful sight and I will look again this evening Tuesday 28th, if the sky stays clear.   
When I look at the sky maps they show white spots, although the intention is to compare location and size, when seen as I did it is not just a white spot .......

Although not related, many years ago when living in Bangkok in a high rise apartment I was lucky enough to see 'sprites' during thunderstorms.
Tomorrow I have an eye op so will be homebound for some days.

22 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I think it's Venus, sometimes it's so bright that it seems a double star.

Seems you may be right on both counts, yes it was so bright that it was a double star, the adjoining section I am told is something natural in ones eyesight

20 hours ago, taotoo said:

A few months ago it was Venus plus either Jupiter or Saturn.

Now it's highly likely to be Venus.

The dumbell shape is your eye's astigmatism or other flaw.

I gather it is Venus and it's 'double', the double being something to do with my eyesight, beautiful just the same.

23 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Again does anyone have any idea what it might be, other than a visiting friend of ALF.

Yes, Venus.

You can install an app ...SkyTracker Lite (free) on your mobile. It's a nice app.

2 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Seems you may be right on both counts, yes it was so bright that it was a double star, the adjoining section I am told is something natural in ones eyesight

Well, actually a few times i have been as surprised as you, to the point of thinking i'm having hallucinations or problems with my eyesight.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

https://www.history.com/news/navy-confirms-ufo-videos-real

The news that the Navy considers the three videos—unofficially known as “FLIR1,” “Gimbal” and “GoFast”—as examples of UAPs first appeared on The Black Vault, a web site that specializes in declassified government documents. “FLIR1” is from November 14, 2004, and “Gimbal” and “GoFast” are from January 21, 2015. Joseph Gradisher, official spokesperson for the deputy chief of naval operations for information warfare, emphasized to HISTORY that these videos represent only some of the UAP sightings the Navy is investigating.

That's what I originally said in my question, it might be one of ALF's friends ...

Venus, which used to be called 'Lucifer' - light-bearer. But in the C16th-17th our ignorant forebears thought that Venus falling rapidly in the night sky was a symbol of Satan being booted out of Heaven so 'Lucifer' became an alternative name for Satan ...

(Sorry about that. Couldn't resist.)