It's that thing in the sky AGAIN

Speedo1968

1 hour ago, GSFISM said:

Last full moon three planets were visible to the naked eye. Saturn, Venus, Mars. On clear nights The rings of Saturn can be seen with a decent 20x telescope.

Jupiter has also joined the fray now. Venus in the evening (still) and Mars, Jupiter and Saturn in a close group in the early morning, just before sunrise.

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Don't those things normally move in the sky ?

Yes but not so much you're notice from what I'm told haven't seen clear sky nights being filled with stars in a very long time where I live, very sad.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes but not so much you're notice from what I'm told haven't seen clear sky nights being filled with stars in a very long time where I live, very sad.

About the same here in where i live, even with the clearest air, the light pollution is too much.

But satellites moving in the sky are quite a normal sight, i was just wondering if they are moving, or it's the rotation of the planet, or both.

• Like 1

Speedo, I saw the same object on the same date in vicinity of a crescent moon. This was in Pattaya and about the only thing you can see in Pattaya, other than the moon, is Jupiter..

Venus is always on the horizon while this object was high in the sky.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 6:19 PM, sirineou said:

I think it's that  Tesla Roadster Elon Musk's send into space , looking for a parking spot.:tongue:

Elon sent up loads of satellites a few months ago and you can see very good on a clear night, also he is sending up more soon. 

4 minutes ago, geoff65 said:

Download Sky Guide app and you can search and see stars and will give you all the info of where there at, see satellites in orbit etc. 

sky guide.png

Global and continues connectivity will be a game changer. 

On 4/27/2020 at 10:59 AM, Speedo1968 said:

I live about 50km south of Khon Kaen.
Three nights ago around 6.30pm I was walking in the local park which is outside of the nearest town.

The sky was very clear, in the NNW of the sky was the crescent moon dropping in the direction of the already setting sun, to the moons right at about 2 o'clock and a hands distance from the moon was a very bright object.

This is how the the sky looks from Khon Kaen on 24 April at 18:30

1394758029_Screenshot(137).png.f33de9dbd90e55b206e13e2a5d4801da.png 

23 minutes ago, Elad said:

This is how the the sky looks from Khon Kaen on 24 April at 18:30

1394758029_Screenshot(137).png.f33de9dbd90e55b206e13e2a5d4801da.png 

fake news!!

I have seen Venus before and it does not have a circle and four pink lines  around it .:annoyed: 

• Like 1

OK @Speedo1968 I've been doing a bit homework and I think I've got the answer to your query about the funny shape of Venus

We all know the planets are round, right? So we assume that when we're looking at a planet, round is the shape we expect to see. But it isn't so.

The Moon is round, right? But when we look at it it doesn't always look round. That's because sunlight is only illuminating a portion of it.

And that's exactly what is occurring with Venus right now. Only a moon like crescent shape is visible to us at the moment and throw in a bit of atmospheric distortion and could well look like the 'dumbbell' shape you describe. More facts on this website.

Happy sky gazing

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/how-long-can-you-see-venus-in-the-sky-225443/

On 4/29/2020 at 7:18 PM, Moonlover said:

OK @Speedo1968 I've been doing a bit homework and I think I've got the answer to your query about the funny shape of Venus

We all know the planets are round, right? So we assume that when we're looking at a planet, round is the shape we expect to see. But it isn't so.

The Moon is round, right? But when we look at it it doesn't always look round. That's because sunlight is only illuminating a portion of it.

And that's exactly what is occurring with Venus right now. Only a moon like crescent shape is visible to us at the moment and throw in a bit of atmospheric distortion and could well look like the 'dumbbell' shape you describe. More facts on this website.

Happy sky gazing

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/how-long-can-you-see-venus-in-the-sky-225443/

Thanks Moonlover, have had eye op last Wednesday so have not been able to look at night sky until yesterday, Saturday.
Time about 7pm did not see moon but a bright ( much less so and 'smaller' ) higher and further northwest than earlier in the week.    My eye didn't allow for seeing if dumbbell shape.
Will be another month before I can use both eyes.

Did see moon eclipse some years ago, living where I do now, stayed up all night, all the animals / wildlife etc went quiet.
Have seen ball lightening in Australia and sprites in Bangkok during storms.
Having worked in farming most of my life, ( in many different countries ), the night sky is as important as that of the day.

• Like 1