Idea for PM about farangs in Thailand - an Alien Id card for all ?

12 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I guess the poor exchange rate didn't encourage people to depart and did not slow arrivals, I think you are confusing the overall situation with 'difficulty' or 'not' of obtaining a relevant visa to stay in the kingdom.

The visas at issue were quite relevant, and used for decades without issue.  The then-status-quo did not hurt anyone.  Those now-impossible stay-options were not ideal, but had allowed thousands of now-closed small businesses to stay in operation and employ staff.  There could have been many Many More business/employment opportunities created, with what I suggested or similar.  But, instead, Immigration's policy changes - including denying-entry for false-reasons - destroyed those businesses and livelihoods. 

And it was not only year-rounders who were impacted.  Europeans from colder climates used to "winter" here - staying 6-mo per year here, every year, using 2x entry Tourist-Visas.  When that visa-option was taken away, many trimmed their plans to 5 months in Thailand, using a SETV + a VE entry.  But, last year, even older European travelers reported (on this forum) being given hell returning for a visa-exempt entry to stay the last 2 months - as if they were "coming to work an illegal job" (because that was so probable). 

Immigration figured they could get a small % of all those they denied-entry, to pay agents for various types of extensions (or buy the 'elite') - and who cares about all the rest who would Never Return - and all the businesses/Thais those driven-away used to support.  Countless Thai lives have been wrecked to feed immigration's corruption.  There is no benefit to anyone from their behavior.  There is no justifying what they have done.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The visas at issue were quite relevant, and used for decades without issue.  The then-status-quo did not hurt anyone.  Those now-impossible stay-options were not ideal, but had allowed thousands of now-closed small businesses to stay in operation and employ staff.  There could have been many Many More business/employment opportunities created, with what I suggested or similar.  But, instead, Immigration's policy changes - including denying-entry for false-reasons - destroyed those businesses and livelihoods. 

And it was not only year-rounders who were impacted.  Europeans from colder climates used to "winter" here - staying 6-mo per year here, every year, using 2x entry Tourist-Visas.  When that visa-option was taken away, many trimmed their plans to 5 months in Thailand, using a SETV + a VE entry.  But, last year, even older European travelers reported (on this forum) being given hell returning for a visa-exempt entry to stay the last 2 months - as if they were "coming to work an illegal job" (because that was so probable). 

Immigration figured they could get a small % of all those they denied-entry, to pay agents for various types of extensions (or buy the 'elite') - and who cares about all the rest who would Never Return - and all the businesses/Thais those driven-away used to support.  Countless Thai lives have been wrecked to feed immigration's corruption.  There is no benefit to anyone from their behavior.  There is no justifying what they have done.

They tightened up the rules as they were being abused - so where does the blame lie?

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

They tightened up the rules as they were being abused - so where does the blame lie?

They changed their policy for no justifyable reason.  "Abuse", as you use it, has no legal definition.  The abuse began, when Immigration began denying-entry on false-premises to those who were following the law.  There is no other explanation, other than corruption, for why the change would have occurred.

Edited by JackThompson

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

They changed their policy for no justifyable reason.  "Abuse", as you use it, has no legal definition.  The abuse began, when Immigration began denying-entry on false-premises to those who were following the law.  There is no other explanation, other than corruption, for why the change would have occurred.

Rubbish there were people living in Thailand on repeat tourist visas, how can you not acknowledge that - you are blind to what you do not wish to see - discussion ended!!

On 4/28/2020 at 7:51 PM, Bender Rodriguez said:

why not introduce, an ALIEN id card for all long stay expats in exchange for the 400k/800k in the bank method, no VISA agent SCAMS ...

No thanks! I am happy to keep my money outside Thailand until I need it and pay an agent 14,000 baht a year for that privilege.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 473geo said:

Rubbish there were people living in Thailand on repeat tourist visas, how can you not acknowledge that - you are blind to what you do not wish to see - discussion ended!!

The rubbish is the claim anything was wrong - with no evidence of any harm done.  Please point out where, in Thai Law, there is a specification on how many times and/or how much cumulative-time in what period a person can enter/stay in Thailand living as a tourist - i.e. Spending their Own Money Not Earned in Thailand.  Blindess is anyone who pretends not to see the corruption that drives immigration's policy-changes.

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No thanks! I am happy to keep my money outside Thailand until I need it and pay an agent 14,000 baht a year for that privilege.

I hear that.  I just got paid, and sent the bulk to an account in a country Where I Have Rights and a government-backed insurance (FDIC) on the funds which I can count on.   That's why I will only ever attempt extensions using the 'income method'. 

As to agents - wish it were that inexpensive for marriage-based non-Os, but as it requires a senior-officer to sign-off, the payoff needed doubles to include their envelope.