Idea for PM about farangs in Thailand - an Alien Id card for all ?

31 minutes ago, 473geo said:

There is of course the pink ID card in existence

But guess what? it appears to be far too much trouble for many to obtain, so they whine about the time and effort it takes to be processed and about it being of no benefit

Add an approximate price of 60 baht well no chance that is just the final straw!!! No way Jose over a a quid/ a couple of dollars surely taking advantage!!

My wife set it all up for me yellow book and pink card - considered it might be a good idea - is it? don't really know, but it means I am on record at the local amphur, having got married there also, a 'known' person so to speak which is always a good start

Permanent residence, why do you need it? comfort blanket? oh to resolve the hardship of immigration controls, give us a break, if it's not worth the effort then..... do one!!

I think PR is worth the effort.

So is pink card, which was the easiest thing to get that I didn't even want. I went to register at khet and they asked me if I want one. 60 baht + 5? baht for a sleeve. 15 minutes to take photo, punch in my details and they printed it out right in front of me. Obviously one thing about pink card - it is only valid in the province where it's issued.

17 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Big Joke did a lot to get rid of that, he's now gone and it's all back

to normal,too big a money maker to get rid of.

regards worgeordie

It's an alternative, one of the things I like about Thailand - options

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kalorymetr said:

They don't want the geezers thats it.

No trouble on work visa, company takes care of everything.

Actually, I found a Thai income complicated things, on my last futile attempt at an extension based on marraige to a Thai.  Management at my job decided it was easier to pay me for 4 visa-run days per year, than to deal with immigration's corruption.   It costs them more than an agent-payoff, but avoids hassles for all the staff that have to "do everything for the work-permit again" - and more - to "satisfy"  immigration that my work-permit isn't "fake."

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

I just wish they'd introduce a monthly version of the Elite Visa at 10K per month. It should be as easy as applying for a 30-day tourist extension at any Immigration office for 1,900 baht, just more expensive, and you should be able to pay for as few or as many months in advance as you want.

I am certain it would turn out to be a massive seller. Everyone grumbles about the price of the 5yr Elite visa, but the real problem is paying for 5 years upfront in such an unstable country and such uncertain times worldwide.

If the government want to quickly build back up the number of Westerners spending money in Thailand, along with a windfall in visa fees, that is what they should do.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, 473geo said:

The continuous over estimation of the 'drop in the ocean' spending by 'long stay' foreigners appears to be mainly present in the minds of the 'entitled' many who seek cheap accommodation, cheap food and wine and cheap 'entertainment' a group Thailand accepts but in reality does not need to survive

It is also noticed by all the folks in Issan who were driven out of their former jobs by Immigration's "crack downs" on longer-stay Western visitors. 

Of course Thailand offers lower-prices for some things - which is part of what makes it an attractive destination.  But it would be a huge mistake to think "high rollers" spending at venues owned by the wealthiest Thais offer the most benefit to Thais, overall.  They never see a dime of that money.

I am reminded of a past discussion, where some "old farang" eating at a noodle-shop was disparaged as some sort of "problem."  Ask the owner of the noodle-shop - now living in the boonies trying to survive on what he can grow and/or handout-income from his children, who have to work overseas due to lack of opportunities in Thailand - how he feels about not allowing his customers to reach his now-closed noodle-shop.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

I just wish they'd introduce a monthly version of the Elite Visa at 10K per month. It should be as easy as applying for a 30-day tourist extension at any Immigration office for 1,900 baht, just more expensive, and you should be able to pay for as few or as many months in advance as you want.

I am certain it would turn out to be a massive seller. Everyone grumbles about the price of the 5yr Elite visa, but the real problem is paying for 5 years upfront in such an unstable country and such uncertain times worldwide.

If the government want to quickly build back up the number of Westerners spending money in Thailand, along with a windfall in visa fees, that is what they should do.

A visa should not cost more than rent in a high-floor, oceanview condominium in a country - is out of balance with the local-economic reality.  Lower overhead costs are a primary reason MOST visitors come here in the first place.  There exist many more expensive tropical locales.

The government would get much more total-fee-revenue from a 5K/mo visa - with many times more who would/could pay it.  Anyone with insufficient funds to spend would be unable to continue paying the monthly-fee.  Of course, they could offer a 10K version with golf and such included.

I agree on shorter-duration being a key point.  There are often jokes about paying at 7-11 or online, but for a renewable type of extension like this, would actually be a great and very workable idea - so no burden to "the system," to do it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It is also noticed by all the folks in Issan who were driven out of their former jobs by Immigration's "crack downs" on longer-stay Western visitors. 

Of course Thailand offers lower-prices for some things - which is part of what makes it an attractive destination.  But it would be a huge mistake to think "high rollers" spending at venues owned by the wealthiest Thais offer the most benefit to Thais, overall.  They never see a dime of that money.

I am reminded of a past discussion, where some "old farang" eating at a noodle-shop was disparaged as some sort of "problem."  Ask the owner of the noodle-shop - now living in the boonies trying to survive on what he can grow and/or handout-income from his children, who have to work overseas due to lack of opportunities in Thailand - how he feels about not allowing his customers to reach his now-closed noodle-shop.

Of course the farang is welcome to eat at the noodle shop, along with more abundant Thai people who actually keep the sellers in business. 

A business surviving solely on foreign patronage is best sited in a an area popular with  tourists right?

You go to a rural market possibly see one or two farang among the hundreds of Thai, you think there would be some dramatic economic collapse if the farang did not attend.

Hard as it may be to accept, the farang long stayer is of no real economic significance, excepting the few family and locals that benefit directly. 

As a tourist in Thailand for 3 weeks a year I could off load easily 10,000 baht a day plus paying for accommodation and food - there are not many long term farangs living at that spending pace, indeed I certainly do not now ???? Now I am a family man, and to Thai business, I am just another customer, which I easily accept.

If you are a wealthy farang go for the low hassle elite visa.........'oh but wait they could change the rules, more prudent to use a cheaper option but paperwork is a pain'......then you could hire an agent less hassle......'oh but agents are a rip off, better (and cheaper) to process oneself.'...you could use the money in the bank method not too complicated........'I don't want my money sitting around in a Thai bank earning no interest' why is Thai immigration so complicated

'There's hole in the bucket dear lisa'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

"If the government want to build up the numbers of westerners spending money"

The continuous over estimation of the 'drop in the ocean' spending by 'long stay' foreigners appears to be mainly present in the minds of the 'entitled' many who seek cheap accommodation, cheap food and wine and cheap 'entertainment' a group Thailand accepts but in reality does not need to survive

So just behave, meet the requirements, and enjoy Thailand as the guest you currently are

For guest read fare paying passenger & note the gender-related exemption if the Thai half in a relationship happens to be male.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 473geo said:

A drawback to which is that it omits one particular piece of crucial information: namely the date when your current permission to stay in Thailand expires.

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

A drawback to which is that it omits one particular piece of crucial information: namely the date when your current permission to stay in Thailand expires.

But it does carry enough information, in Thai, to assist in carrying out a quick check. The underlying reason for providing a pink card is that you are a 'resident' in Thailand is my understanding, and it brings one into line and into the 'system' along with the Thai population - currently nothing to do with immigration but possibly of benefit if they come calling to prove you are not under the radar

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 473geo said:

But guess what? it appears to be far too much trouble for many to obtain, so they whine about the time and effort it takes to be processed and about it being of no benefit

Add an approximate price of 60 baht well no chance that is just the final straw!!! No way Jose over a a quid/ a couple of dollars surely taking advantage!!

My wife set it all up for me yellow book and pink card - considered it might be a good idea - is it? don't really know, but it means I am on record at the local amphur, having got married there also, a 'known' person so to speak which is always a good start

Permanent residence, why do you need it? comfort blanket? oh to resolve the hardship of immigration controls, give us a break, if it's not worth the effort then..... do one!!

Hey was it easy for you so others who hit the wall a few times and gave up are whiners? Lucky you. I made 3 visits to the local Amphur over 6 months before I gave up when the manager told my Thai wife to leave.. Tried again and 6 months later the acting woman manager made it easy. That's why I whined. Cost me a lot more than 60 baht, a trip to Bangers from Isaan, a visit to Oz embassy for a 3k baht stamped piece of copy paper of my passport, a half day at MFA for stamping.  Lucky you got it in 1 go did you?

Edited by Isaan Alan

56 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Hard as it may be to accept, the farang long stayer is of no real economic significance, excepting the few family and locals that benefit directly. 

As a tourist in Thailand for 3 weeks a year I could off load easily 10,000 baht a day plus paying for accommodation and food - there are not many long term farangs living at that spending pace, indeed I certainly do not now ???? Now I am a family man, and to Thai business, I am just another customer, which I easily accept

3 week holiday at 10k a day is 210k per year in my book. As a long-stay farang i can share with you that i spend that on a monthly here in the country with my family (including mortgage payments, car payments, utilities, food, and schooling for the kids).

So why is 210k per year more beneficial to the country than the 2m a year i am spending?

Edit: i think you are making the same "mistake" as the government is making, it is a sweet deal to go after the 10K a day and then you leave again asking nothing further. But what if you go to another country next year? Then Thailand misses out on your 10K. And how much did you spend in Thailand in the past month when Thailand needed it the most? Probably nothing because the borders are closed. Well, i did still spend, cause I live here long-term. If they made it easier for foreigners to stay here long-term, and maybe 10,000 foreigners move this way it would mean a few thousand extra condo's and houses being sold, 30,000 extra meals being sold per day, and if they are old a huge extra income for hospitals being added to the country. Maybe another 5,000 extra cars, 10,000 extra TV sets, etc. All income you dont get with tourists coming for 3 weeks. 

Edited by Bob12345
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Isaan Alan said:

Hey was it easy for you so others who hit the wall a few times and gave up are whiners? Lucky you. I made 3 visits to the local Amphur over 6 months before I gave up when the manager told my Thai wife to leave.. Tried again and 6 months later the acting woman manager made it easy. That's why I whined. Cost me a lot more than 60 baht, a trip to Bangers from Isaan, a visit to Oz embassy for a 2k baht stamped piece of copy paper of my passport, a half day at MFA for stamping.  Lucky you got it in 1 go did you?

Absolutely, first time, all nicely arranged, wife, mother-in-law, village head, all came along and waited patiently until they were called to verify all was correct. I was rather impressed, but not surprised, by the planning and organisation of my wife. We were also the first farang Thai marriage there some years ago, worked through the process with same people who dealt with pink card so all good.

• Thanks 1

An ID card for foreigners, great idea. We will change the law so that all people who stay more than 180 days per year in Thailand pay Thai tax in exchange for the ID card

To make sure you are assimilating into Thai society, when renewing your yearly permission to stay we will introduce a Thai language test.

• Like 1