Anutin rejects demands to delay ban on hazardous pesticides

webfact

Anutin running his mouth rampant again in areas that he is not qualified to speak in or has not seen long term positive opposed to negative results that will happen in these dire times.. Actually he isn't qualified to speak on anything. How did this annoying loud foul mouthed person ever get into the limelight? Did he buy everyone?

Anutin has found a reasonable priced answer to chemi that is not favoured by many....well why didn't he mention it?  Well, maybe because he hasn't found a dam thing!  All he is doing is making life a lot harder for farmers and orchardists.  

1 hour ago, Davedub said:

Thailand is ahead of Europe on this issue - well done Thailand for not caving in to corporate lobbying and pressure (and shame on Europe for doing the opposite in the face of overwhelming evidence for the harm these chemicals do)

I recall reading that paraquat and chlorpyrifos are banned all over EU. Only glyphosate is still allowed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Magenta408 said:

If I may - I agree. These chemicals are utterly toxic. They are not used in many other countries for this reason and they should not be used in this country. Mind you, farmers will need a cost effective replacement. 

These chemicals are related to Agent Orange which is still having consequences fro the health of the Vietnamese people many generations later.

• Like 2

Roundup binds tightly to soil particles and doesn't move on or in the soil to affect untreated plants nearby. - It breaks down quickly into natural materials such as carbon dioxide and nitrogen. ... The glyphosate moves quickly through the plant and accumulates in areas of active growth called meristems..... Toxic... No thats for sure! 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The ban on three chemical pesticides will be imposed on June 1 as scheduled, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Tuesday (April 28), adding that he did not agree with Industry Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit’s proposal to postpone it further.

Why doesn't he come up with a Cheaper/same cost  Replacement Before they ban the Chemicals? So All the people who use those chemicals have to suffer (as in extra cost) .Why didn't they start years ago to come up with a Replacement?  

Nah that makes sense . impossible in Thailand .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Anutin running his mouth rampant again in areas that he is not qualified to speak in or has not seen long term positive opposed to negative results that will happen in these dire times.. Actually he isn't qualified to speak on anything. How did this annoying loud foul mouthed person ever get into the limelight? Did he buy everyone?

He heads a political party/clan that the government needed as a coalition ally to form a government. He brokered this job as his price for joining them rather than the opposition.

5 hours ago, Antonymous said:

I agree absolutely that the three chemicals should be banned for health reasons, but I can understand the frustration of farmers who don't yet know what else they can use. The ban will be enforced on 1 June and yet 'the committee' isn't due to meet until 30 June to discuss substitutions! Doesn't look like this has been thought through properly does it.

I think continued import will be banned, but current stocks can continue to be sold until depleted. I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, Antonymous said:

I agree absolutely that the three chemicals should be banned for health reasons, but I can understand the frustration of farmers who don't yet know what else they can use. The ban will be enforced on 1 June and yet 'the committee' isn't due to meet until 30 June to discuss substitutions! Doesn't look like this has been thought through properly does it.

SNAFU

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

There's no scientific evidence, or even a plausible reason why, glyphosate is hazardous to mammals, or to any animal if used correctly.

The "if used correctly" fine print might apply in developed countries, but it doesn't apply to Thailand because things aren't used correctly. If that doesn't compute then you need to get out more. And besides that some people actually care about all types of flora and fauna, not just the mammals so that's a big red flag right there. And who on earth possibly wants these awful things in the food they eat? Why not next to the salt shakers and soy sauce have a bottle of glyphosate and the others for the stupid people to pour on their food so they can show their support of the big chemical industry and prove to us how safe these things are as they turn blue and keel over.

7 hours ago, Antonymous said:

The farmers were given six months' grace to find alternatives. Public health matters more than  profit.

Edited by Krataiboy

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The agricultural chemicals to be banned are paraquat, glyphosate and chlorpyrifos.

Anutin said that even though the chemicals make farming cheaper, people’s health is more important.

Good! At least this decision is good for Thailand, good for the people!

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

Why doesn't he come up with a Cheaper/same cost  Replacement Before they ban the Chemicals? So All the people who use those chemicals have to suffer (as in extra cost) .Why didn't they start years ago to come up with a Replacement? 

There is something fundamentally wrong if farming is based on dangerous poisons and poisoning people.

These dangerous poisons are forbidden in most civilized countries, it is overdue that Thailand follows.