updated rules for building permit in the countryside?

Hello all

We (I and my Thai wife) are planning to build a small house (30 sq meters) to live on our land (with chanote) bought last year, in the countryside before building a bigger one, in 1-2 years. The objective is also to get electricity and the registration number rather quickly... We thought the 'old system' would work, ie the PuuYaaBaan (village chief) giving us approval so that we can start the process at PEA. But PuuYaaBaan told us we have to go to the municipality to get the plans officially approved by a architect (I guess an architect or engineer from this public office). Is there anyone who could confirm this, and maybe give more details about this process, how long it takes and also the cost (although I think it depends on the house size). Thanks for the answers !!

It's been the official rule forever, but invariably ignored and puyai baan just gave the nod.

There are loads of simple house plans available which are pre-approved and signed off some are here 

http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/

but your local amphur should have several books worth.

Pick a design, photocopy the plans, get your building permit and build.

• Like 2

Hello Crossy

Thanks for answering. In case none of the plan is close to what I have in mind, I guess it is possible to make a draft and explain to the architect of the municipality office so that he/she draws the plan?

Any idea of the cost involved and how long it would take?

20 hours ago, thing31 said:

Hello Crossy

Thanks for answering. In case none of the plan is close to what I have in mind, I guess it is possible to make a draft and explain to the architect of the municipality office so that he/she draws the plan?

Any idea of the cost involved and how long it would take?

Firstly - you already asked the pooyai baan and got the correct answer for your village. These procedures might vary from place to place so what happened in 1 place might not work for you. 

What @Crossy meant was that there are many pre approved house plans to choose from. You can select the 1 that looks about like what you want to build and ask permission on that plan. No one comes to verify you actually built according to plan. 

I drew a simple plan on my computer using the paint app and got the approval on that. The approval cost 500 baht and I got it a day later. 

Once completed, you have to go to pooyai baan who is supposed to come and verify you've completed the building. He then allocates a house number and sign another document for you to take to the district offices (ampoe) where they will issue a blue house book. You take the blue book to PEA to apply for electricity. 

But if you need electric supply while building (welding and such) that's a different and much simpler issue. All you have to do is get the correct wires pulled from the nearest electricity pole to the building point and connect it to a breaker. You then go to PEA and apply for temporary electricity. They'll come to inspect the wires and brake and once approved (very fast normally) you'll have to pay a deposit for the meter and that's it - you have electricity. The electricity rate for temporary meter is about double the normal rate so you'd want to get the blue book and change the meter fast...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

You can select the 1 that looks about like what you want to build and ask permission on that plan. No one comes to verify you actually built according to plan. 

Yes! Something I omitted to say, sorry.

We paid the local Tessaban draftsman + engineer + architect 10000 baht for a 80 m2 extension. He also did plans of the existing structure as the Tessaban did not have any. Everything drawn up on Autocad and as usual the footings were over designed by the engineer.

But would not recommend them as there were too many mistakes. I think it was one of their very early efforts as plans had not been required before.

As others have said, no inspections of the build.

when we built our restaurant all we gave them was a hand drawn plan ,paid a small amount and bobs your uncle all done, blue book ,house number, power & water all good to go. at the start of the build we borrowed power from next door just paid their bill for them much cheaper and less hassle then getting a temporary meter.

We are doing a build in Muang Phetchabun, got an 'architect' to draw the plans (5000tbh), 2 sets of copies made take to local village office, including detailed map to site, left with them for one week, they inspected the site, and called to say it was approved, collected the permission papers and rubber stamped plans (50thb)

Started the build using electricity from a neighbours meter, with long extension(100m), we offered to pay their bill for the time we were connected.

When the doors, windows and toilet is installed (just completed) we will go the the village chiefs house, with photos,  and collect signatures to start the house book process and get permanent electric

My plan was submitted to the local council/shire office, i had to pay 5,000 B.  A temporary electric meter cost me 10,000 B deposit while the house was under construction, when finished and had a house number, the power was inspected and once it was passed; had to change the power line connections to the house coz they had only been twisted and taped together as was the norm but law had changed "They must be clamped now" and any underground cable must be a special 3 core cable. New meter was fitted and got the refund on deposit less the amount of lecky used. hope that helps.

"any underground cable must be a special 3 core cable"  That might have been a bad translation of PEA underground electric service requirements for a safe electrical installation. I have interacted a few dozen times in the past 15 years with the PEA at several offices n Buriram Province. I suggest the OP and Brainthainess recheck that translation at the PEA office when they sit down with the engineers. Multi core NYY cable is not the "first choice", to put it mildly for underground main service cable from a legal PEA meter to a load center in a home. Single core NYY or Single Core XLPE might serve the home owner in a much safer manner. In red stripe HDPE conduit. I would caution any expat looking to build a new home. Do things legal from the beginning and your life will be easier and less expensive. Running a long extension cord from a neighbor will give you low voltage and could harm any tools or water pump you use while building a home. The temporary meter "deposit" will get rolled over to your "permanent" meter deposit. I also suggest any home builder consider the advantages of a 15/45 temporary meter, rather than a 5/15 temporary meter. Approved home plans with your "permit to build" in the name the home owner sets you apart from folks who do not get a drivers license, do not get helmets, do not register a motorbike, do not buy optional motorbike or car insurance. No need for those pesky permits or license in rural Thailand. The PEA office in Buriram, Satuk, Khaen Dong all have regulation books., They are not shooting from the hip in suggestions of minimum requirements for safety. 

• Thanks 1