Anybody changing their motor oil in car by themselves?

2 minutes ago, samtab said:

Clearly, at the end it cost as much as doing it yourself, because they get discount on oil that we cannot get.

And naturally pass the saving onto the punter,they,'re killing us with kindness.And it dosen,t matter what car you drive if they put kak oil in it it,'ll mullah your engine or at the very least prematurely cause it to wear out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Oil change fee at B-Quik was 200 Bats. I buy my own oil and genuine filter elsewhere. Be aware that non-franchise places use non-genuine filters.

As for oil, Shell Synthetic or Mobil One Synthetic.

200 baht whow, as for filters all are sold by companies that make them for vehicle manufacturers and also sell them as universal products.

• Like 1

I always have my Tuna serviced at Toyota. Cost for 8lt Toyota Full Syn and filter is 2,200bht total, they also throw it other bits like grease the prop, check pads. Would I ever do it myself ??? the old 3lt maybe, but the new engines have the filter tucked away on the bottom of the engine and without a lift it's impossible to get to.

As you have the old 2.5 as other have said get it done at cockpit or B/Q. Doesn't matter if they fit copy parts. Tip get them to grease the prop as that should be done at max 10k intervals. And I bet it's not been done for years.

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

200 baht whow, as for filters all are sold by companies that make them for vehicle manufacturers and also sell them as universal products.

Oil is no different, its all salesmanship to some extent, if people knew what they were looking at they wouldn't worry so much, if the API label states "SN or SN plus" its going to be fine for a road going vehicle, if you are driving a F1 car, may need a higher spec :wink:

image.png.95ed7ff512e417dc0a7525c12daec910.png

15 hours ago, kingdong said:

Perhaps not so silly, you don,t know what they,'re putting in it and could end up mullahering your engine,if you want to be on the safe side but the correct oil and genuine filter and just pay a garage to change it,make sure the engine is warmed up and stand and watch while they do it.

True. Thais are known for putting poor quality oil in if you are not watching. The monkey business knows no limits here. Happened to me once, after oil change the oil warning light would not go out. Looked at the oil, thin as water. Changed oil again at another gas station and watched them do it this time.... all ok.

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

as for filters all are sold by companies that make them for vehicle manufacturers and also sell them as universal products.

There are fake copy filters around, I have seen them. Oil flow to your engine can be impaired by a bad filter.

In view of the above I buy my own oil in the original manufacturers pack and a genuine filter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Thanks Toyota! What am I supposed to do with information, that counterfeit spare parts sucks?!

It's not like people are going to shop "one counterfeit Toyota bearing at the price of original Toyota bearing please". I don't understand why are they throwing it at our heads!!! Call the police or something. What am I as a consumer do with that?

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Your sounding very inexperienced of using outlets in Thailand like e.g. "Cockpit" we are fortunate to have a excellent one here in Sukhothai.

Also I see them bring out the 6 litres of oil in containers with "Mobil !" on it, also oil filter are quality universal filters.

Yeah you see them bringing out containers with "!mobil" on it,did you you check the seal? Or do you believe no Thai would top up a container with cheap oil and charge you fo r premium? Do my own maintenance on my Harley takes me twice as long perhaps but least I know it's been done right.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CGW said:

Not worth the effort and mess to save a few baht, then you also have to dispose of the old oil and filter.

and especially depending on OPs particular Toyata model!  - as for some , the hassles/complexities doing something that is supposed to be a straight forward thing... 

(I'm focussing on the Oil filter actions required!)

2077106862_theToyotaComplexFilterChange.jpg.113b77360d5eae7809000e6502db1eb9.jpg500642970_theFilterhassles.jpg.fd23d59b2d3a75ea3bdd550614fa070e.jpg

16 hours ago, kingdong said:

Yeah you see them bringing out containers with "!mobil" on it, did you you check the seal?

Or do you believe no Thai would top up a container with cheap oil and charge you fo r premium?

Do my own maintenance on my Harley takes me twice as long perhaps but least I know it's been done right.

Yes they showed me.

No " Cockpit"  would not do such a thing.

You owe a Harley that explains it. ????

17 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Thanks Toyota! What am I supposed to do with information, that counterfeit spare parts sucks?!

It's not like people are going to shop "one counterfeit Toyota bearing at the price of original Toyota bearing please". I don't understand why are they throwing it at our heads!!! Call the police or something. What am I as a consumer do with that?

Didn't know Toyota had their own factories that produced oil & oil filters, I had to laugh when someone told me they produced Toyo tyres. ????

It reminds me of Volvo UK, a Volvo oil filter was double the price for a oil filter which you could buy directly from the manufacturer that produce many types of oil filters for all types of vehicles. 

• Like 1

For a 2.4 revo an oil change is Bt.1483.00 not including labour.

Motor Oil 10W-30 SM (Gallon) (6L)) 873.00
Motor Oil 10W-30 SM (Liter) (1L)) 302.00
Grease (GC-LB Grease 15 Kg.) 88.00
OIL FILTER 200.00
sump plug washer 20.00

for the old 2.5 model it wil be about the same plus Bt200 or so for labour.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

With labourcost of about 200bht why would you ever consider doing it yourself.  Buy the oil yourself and stand close to see that he really uses your own oil if you dont trust them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wtfracing said:

I used to do it myself but local workshop does it for 200 baht and happy that I supply the full synthetic oil and genuine filters. They dispose off the old oil and filters, top up all levels and general check over and give me coffee. Wife and I sit and watch, best suggestion my wife ever made lol plus coffee is great.

You beat me to it ????

• Like 1