Education fund approves Bt2 billion to help poor students

rooster59

Education fund approves Bt2 billion to help poor students

By THE NATION

800_fb545861b753dd2.jpg

Prasarn Trairat-vorakul

The Equitable Education Fund (EEF) has allocated a Bt2.04- billion budget to relieve the burden of poor students whose parents have been impacted financially by the Covid-19 crisis, EEF president Dr Prasarn Trairat-vorakul revealed.

The money will be used as remedial measures, with 750,000 students -- 700,000 in the education system, and 50,000 outside -- expected to benefit.

The EEF explained that many students' parents had lost their jobs in the Covid-19 crisis. The EEF is hastening assistance for food, cost of living and necessities.

The EEF meeting also approved allocation of a Bt300-million budget to help 500,000 primary students in severe need. They will receive Bt600 a day from May 18, the EEF added.

The EEF will fastrack its funding for students, and increase the fund by Bt2,000 for each student. Besides, the organisation would expand its assistance to 708,767 kindergarten students nationwide.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387169

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-03

I wish that I could believe that this money will reach the right places.  Corruption is so common in schools in the area where I have been helping provide school and pupil supplies.  Even some Head Teachers are not above dipping into cash allocated for children.

• Like 2

The whole idea of the Thai public education system is to keep the poor poor with substandard education in overcrowded classrooms where the latest technology is chalk. I am in no way pointing my finger at the teachers but a broken system rife with corruption. This is just more hot air nonsense from grandstanding empty heads. Undoubtably there will be some sort of a problem (pockets aren't filled yet) before they rejig it. 500,000 primary school students will get Bt600 a day. Bt18,000 for one month. This is either a translation problem, a poorly written article, a typo or a complete croc of you know what. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

primary school students will get Bt600 a day

It did strike me as being a bit much. Parents work for 250/300 per day, but kids get 600 for nothing. It seems like somebody added a zero too many. Hope I'm wrong. 

On 5/3/2020 at 6:39 AM, rooster59 said:

The EEF explained that many students' parents had lost their jobs in the Covid-19 crisis. The EEF is hastening assistance for food, cost of living and necessities

Just delete the school term fee, that's what most parents will be worrying about !