UK shadows Italy as worst hit in Europe: virus death toll passes 28,000

rooster59

16 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think as others have said that population density is a major factor with a virus. Scotland has by far the lowest population density in the UK. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281322/population-density-in-the-united-kingdom-uk-by-country/

How else would you explain how Scotland's death toll is much lower than England's, while both nations are following the same strategy? I suppose it could be all those porridge oats ????

Because they are not, but don't let your ignorance of that stop you from your usual cheap tropes and jibes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Of course there are myriad factors which means that there is no single covid experience across the UK, or elsewhere for that matter. I have not seen figures broken down by population density, but our biggest cities have similar density profiles to those in England so it would stand to reason that if all things were equal, deaths would likewise be similar. 

As for the negativity towards Johnson, he is the UK pm and continues to have significant power over Scotland. It was his government which spurned offers from the eu to participate in a collective ppe resourcing scheme. Quarantine powers are reserved, as is immigration, NHS procurement and many other factors which directly affect the abilities of the devolved governments to operate. 

This is not about throwing stones at a benign bogeyman. Sturgeon has done a good job with what she has at her disposal, but Scotland's response has been significantly hindered by Westminster failings. 

I thought NHS Scotland were responsible for their own procurement? https://www.nhsscotlandprocurement.scot.nhs.uk/about-us.aspx

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

It's quite childish I think, all about hating the English. For example, if I see any of the 'home nations' playing in a sports event I'll cheer the Jocks on against the Aussies, I'll cheer the Irish against the French. But you would never see many of the Scots cheer the English ????

Oh dear god. I hate to follow you down this  woefully off topic path, however I get so dismayed when I see garbage like your post. 

I will now make the same request I have made many times on these boards when I see the same 'Scots hate the English' <deleted> - but I am confident that either you will fail to respond with anything, or anything you offer would embarrass the weakest of bar room lawyers:

Please provide evidence that Scottish independence is 'all about hating the English'. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Because they are not, but don't let your ignorance of that stop you from your usual cheap tropes and jibes. 

I was just trying to lighten the mood with the porridge comment - apologies if I offended you. 

Can you explain how the Covid 19 strategy in Scotland differs from the strategy in England please. I thought they were pretty much in line. 

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Thanks, very informative. Of course, you could argue that England with its more densely populated cites are suffering more. Densely populated areas seem to be taking the bigger hits worldwide.

No, you couldn't argue that actually.

Population density is just one factor among many that affect the size of breakout. Some densely populated areas were badly affected but equally some far less densely populated areas were much worse affected than densely populated ones. For example Heinsberg in Germany was the fourth worst affected area, even though it has far less population density than Stuttgart or Cologne. Brescia was worse affected than Rome.

By itself population density doesn't explain anything.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I have not seen figures broken down by population density, but our biggest cities have similar density profiles to those in England so it would stand to reason that if all things were equal, deaths would likewise be similar. 

Here are the overall numbers for population density. England 430/km2, Scotland 70/km2. 

Part Population
(mid-2018)[25]
Percentage of total

population (%)

Area
(km2)[26]
Percentage
of total

area (%)

Population

density

England 55,977,178 84.3

130,309 54 430/km²
Scotland 5,438,100 8.2

77,911 32 70/km²
Wales 3,138,631 4.7

20,736 9 151/km²
Northern Ireland 1,881,641 2.8

13,793 6 136/km²
United Kingdom 66,435,550 100

242,749 100 274/km²

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Here are the overall numbers for population density. England 430/km2, Scotland 70/km2. 

Part Population
(mid-2018)[25]
Percentage of total

population (%)

Area
(km2)[26]
Percentage
of total

area (%)

Population

density

England 55,977,178 84.3

130,309 54 430/km²
Scotland 5,438,100 8.2

77,911 32 70/km²
Wales 3,138,631 4.7

20,736 9 151/km²
Northern Ireland 1,881,641 2.8

13,793 6 136/km²
United Kingdom 66,435,550 100

242,749 100 274/km²

Again population density is just one factor among many. By itself it does not explain the severity of an outbreak.

There are countless examples of places with low population density that have been hit harder than places with high population density.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I was just trying to lighten the mood with the porridge comment - apologies if I offended you. 

Can you explain how the Covid 19 strategy in Scotland differs from the strategy in England please. I thought they were pretty much in line. 

No offence taken; it's just a bit tiresome.

Much is to do with timing but this page gives an overview, suggesting that Westminster's response has been possibly driven by Holyrood:

On 12 March Nicola Sturgeon advised that gatherings over 500 should be cancelled to free up emergency services (the official guidance was published two days later). Boris Johnson announced similar measures on 16 March, with rumours that the Scottish government’s move had increased pressure on the UK government to do more to discourage mass gatherings. 

There are other factors which impacted the devolved regions:

Covid-19: Rapid test site data was not shared with Scottish ministers

"Health ministers in Scotland were barred from seeing thousands of coronavirus results from rapid testing sites for weeks because of data restrictions imposed by the UK government."

Coronavirus: Care homes 'refused kit because stock reserved for England'

"A care home owner in Wales says she has been refused personal protective equipment (PPE) because her suppliers are reserving stock for English customers."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Oh dear god. I hate to follow you down this  woefully off topic path, however I get so dismayed when I see garbage like your post. 

I will now make the same request I have made many times on these boards when I see the same 'Scots hate the English' <deleted> - but I am confident that either you will fail to respond with anything, or anything you offer would embarrass the weakest of bar room lawyers:

Please provide evidence that Scottish independence is 'all about hating the English'. 

I spent an afternoon in a pub in Edinburgh watching England vs Trinidad & Tobago in the 2006 World Cup. Half of the locals were wearing Trinidad shirts and cheering them on against England. When the final whistle blew one of the Scots pulled off his Trinidad shirt to reveal a Sweden shirt - England's next opponents. Scottish humour at it's best! My family and I absolutely loved it, and both sets of fans had a great time that day, beering and jeering. 

I have many dear Scottish friends, and I don't mind the banter at all. Veering off topic I know, but just saying. 

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Again population density is just one factor among many. By itself it does not explain the severity of an outbreak.

There are countless examples of places with low population density that have been hit harder than places with high population density.

I agree, there are many factors. It would be great once this is all over if all governments worked together to collate all the information, and come up with the best strategies per region. I won't hold my breath though. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I spent an afternoon in a pub in Edinburgh watching England vs Trinidad & Tobago in the 2006 World Cup. Half of the locals were wearing Trinidad shirts and cheering them on against England. When the final whistle blew one of the Scots pulled off his Trinidad shirt to reveal a Sweden shirt - England's next opponents. Scottish humour at it's best! My family and I absolutely loved it, and both sets of fans had a great time that day, beering and jeering. 

I have many dear Scottish friends, and I don't mind the banter at all. Veering off topic I know, but just saying. 

Same where I work. I work offshore and majority of Scots on the rig. When England played Australia in the Rugby World Cup many had Aussie shirts on and there were cut out wallabies plastered all over the walls. 

It was all in good banter and just adds to the occasion. 

• Like 1

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/second-coronavirus-peak-very-real-21976819

Second coronavirus peak 'very real' and something the UK 'needs to watch out for'

Sir Patrick Vallance, the government's chief scientific advisor, warned MPs today that no measures easing the Covid-19 lockdown will be completely safe

The government keeps saying they have continually followed the advice given by the top scientists. And maybe that has been the problem, especially as they have accepted the recommendations of a leading Oxford don, by the name of Ferguson. Who predicted that if the government did not accept his predictions,there would be 500,00 deaths in the U.K

He has now had to resign, following the news that he has been breaking the lockdown in order to visit his married girlfried.

She it turns out is a very left wing agitator, who has been very critical of Boris Johnson determination to lead the U.K. out of the E.U.

Let's just waite and see want else comes to light.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiger1980 said:

The government keeps saying they have continually followed the advice given by the top scientists. And maybe that has been the problem, especially as they have accepted the recommendations of a leading Oxford don, by the name of Ferguson. Who predicted that if the government did not accept his predictions,there would be 500,00 deaths in the U.K

He has now had to resign, following the news that he has been breaking the lockdown in order to visit his married girlfried.

She it turns out is a very left wing agitator, who has been very critical of Boris Johnson determination to lead the U.K. out of the E.U.

Let's just waite and see want else comes to light.

Could it be that the work of hypocrite Neil Ferguson was perhaps unreliable because he was distracted going on OK Cupid to meet his swinger girlfriend and then busy attending sex meetings with this woman who was waiting in his room while he was on TV announcing Britons should self-isolate?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

And  there was me thinking he was working overtime on important issues, when in fact he was busy doing, well another man's wife.