Withdrawing funds over the counter on a credit card at Bangkok Bank

..maybe not all Bangkok Banks are the same.. here in Kalasin I used to avoid the 220 Bt ATM fee by doing over the counter.. then they started charging me the fee there too... so moved to Transferwise.. 

I use the Halifax Clarity card, and for GBP the Mastercard exchange rate usually better than Visa (does not apply for dollar transactions). The Mastercard exchange rate is always better than the TT rate in my experience (although fluctuations in exchange rate may mean that the rate when  the transaction is actually booked to your card may be slightly different). I even worked out that i usually got more than Transferwise even when using an ATM and taking the Thai ATM fee into account. As said no cash withdrawal fee with Clarity, just pay interest from day one (I ALWAYS get interest, they know it is a cash withdrawal).

When i couldn't get 20,000 baht out of an ATM anymore, due to poor exchange rates making it exceed the cash withdrawal limit, I swapped to Counter withdrawal, although finding bank branches which will do it for free sometimes a problem. So now i save the ATM fee(s). I just do one withdrawal a month usually.

I currently use Krungsri.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 5:00 PM, beachproperty said:

Yes, It's possible. I've done it many times. But be prepared you may have to pay a "cash withdrawal" fee to the credit card bank

I did it with my debit card, no withdrawal fee.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:03 PM, BillStrangeOgre said:

...i should have mentioned that my card is issued by a major UK bank and is MasterCard

Also, my bank makes no charges for using the card overseas

Thanks 

I also have Mastercard.

21 hours ago, Pib said:

Nor does my credit cards charge a cash advance fee; however, a 3% cash advance fee is common with many credit cards. 

Can you please tell me which card does not charge cash advance fee? I have more than 100 US credit cards with close to a million dollar in available credits. I know a few (Like Charles Schwab, Fidelity etc. ATM cards that don't charge for ATM withdrwal fees in foreing banks). Also many credit cards don't charge for foreign purchases like HSBC, CapitalOne, etc. Don't know any credit card that does not charge cash advance fee. Good to know in case I have to withdraw cash in an emergency.

Edited by Mulambana

1 hour ago, Mulambana said:

Can you please tell me which card does not charge cash advance fee? I have more than 100 US credit cards with close to a million dollar in available credits. I know a few (Like Charles Schwab, Fidelity etc. ATM cards that don't charge for ATM withdrwal fees in foreing banks). Also many credit cards don't charge for foreign purchases like HSBC, CapitalOne, etc. Don't know any credit card that does not charge cash advance fee. Good to know in case I have to withdraw cash in an emergency.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Cards.  I have three of their cards like their 2% cash back card that does not charge a foreign transaction or cash advance fee.

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/power-cash-rewards

6 hours ago, Trek800 said:

Cheapest way to get cash out from your creditcard is Transferwise.

How do you work that one out?

A while back i compared Transferwise vs a Clarity card withdrawal at the counter and the Clarity card had the best net rate as no charges

• Like 2

And if Trek800 meant fund a Transferwise transfer using your credit card, using a credit card to fund a Transferwise transfer is the most expensive way of way offered due to the high fee that Transferwise applies when using a credit card to fund a transfer.

And if he meant use the Transferwsie "debit" card, well, that's fine if just withdrawing no more than 200 GBP per month...when withdrawing more than that a 2% fee applies.   

image.png.c95539eaa725667fa546f55b1565e3f5.png

On 5/6/2020 at 9:33 AM, Phil McCaverty said:

I have always used this method to transfer funds from the UK, even when I came here as a tourist. When I relocated here and used the same method to transfer my monthly funds, I kept a very close eye on my CC account and kept all receipts from Bangkok Bank, carefully calculating exchange rates received, interest charged and any hidden fees.

For the period of my observations (several months) I consistently got an exchange rate equal or better than what Bangkok Bank was offering, paid zero interest and zero bank charges.

I'll take that bet.

I will Back you up on that Phil.......I used this method for about 8 years....

only stopped when needed to show international transfer

There is absolutely no charge

Here is a conversion calculator for master card rate

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/personal/get-support/convert-currency.html

i still use this method occasionally when i need extra cash......i use the Yellow Bank

Have a Nice Day

• Like 1

I have been doing this for years  using a Halifax Clarity card. Free foreign transfer, Mastercard exchange rate and no interest providing you pay back immediately as they charge by the day.
You may have to walk around a few banks, some point to their ATM and refuse to discuss matters.
In Pattaya, I use Kasikorn in Central Festival and Bangkok Bank in Soi Buckhao.

• Like 1