BA.. No Refund.. No Voucher.. Nothing just My 25k Baht Gone!

In brief. I live mostly in Thailand (I'm Here Now) . Bought ticket to UK  for early April, and return again end April.   BA cancelled the flights (corona) . I applied for vouchers, but today 6 weeks later, they email me to say not eligible!!!  .

I paid direct to BA via PP. Paypal said not eligable to . Help .. Im gobsmacked, can companys realy behave like this?. I never cancelled the BOOKING as I know this can cause no vouchers. I applied for vouchers . Now they say not eligible but dont say why. What can I do?. i tried applying again from BA website. But when I submit it says 'page gone'/not available. So has my 25,000 baht!  not happy. Voucher or refund would have been OK . Anybody else in similar situation? Not tried phoning BA in UK as will probably get nowhere together with hefty phone bill...thanks

Edited by Rolanddrums
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

No consolation to you, I know,  but I had a BA flight (booked direct on their website) for 23 April which they duly cancelled.

I received a full cash refund some weeks ago.

I had to call the BA call centre (which took a while) because the cash refund was not available online - only rebooking or a voucher request.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Luckily I saw this post.... quoting my post would have ensured that I got a notification of your post.... anyway, no matter:-

If your flight was cancelled

If your flight was cancelled and you do not wish to rebook or claim a voucher, please contact us on 0800 727 800 from within the UK, or +44 (0)203 250 0145 from abroad, to discuss your refund options.

Lol have you tried ringing that +44 (0)203 250 0145 from abroad, you hold on forever and all you lose is your credit.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Thanks guys. PP Still say not covered . STEPHEN 100... Which email address do u suggest for BA. ?

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/askbainter/public/en_gb

click on the email link...  and complete the form. 

and read this one ... it may help :

https://travelingformiles.com/how-to-get-a-refund-from-british-airways-the-last-working-ways/

• Like 1

you will get your refund - they cannot hold your money if they cancelled the flight. best to submit a written request and upload supporting documents via their website. I got all my Ba tickets fully refunded. 

• Thanks 1

In regards to the Convid situation, my wife and I had 3 x return ticket flights cancelled by the airline we were using and though we have contacted them several times by email at their nominated contact email for cancelled flights and refunds, we have never even had a reply to our correspondence. 2 of the return tickets were in Business Class, so not cheap tickets either. I think its a common story and I will just choose not to fly this airline again as a matter of principle. FUG Em

If your Paypal account is linked to your credit card I would try talking to them?

I waited 5 weeks for a voucher which arrived in the form of an email with a code number to use when redeeming it.

I have mentally written it off as I can't be sure I ever want to fly to the UK, or anywhere else for that matter, anytime soon. I can imagine the hassles trying to use the voucher.

Good luck, it sounds like if you have the cancellation emails someone must pay up eventually.

Edited by Saltire

29 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

In regards to the Convid situation, my wife and I had 3 x return ticket flights cancelled by the airline we were using and though we have contacted them several times by email at their nominated contact email for cancelled flights and refunds, we have never even had a reply to our correspondence. 2 of the return tickets were in Business Class, so not cheap tickets either. I think its a common story and I will just choose not to fly this airline again as a matter of principle. FUG Em

Not sure if the last abbreviation is a clue to the airline but if they fly into Australia contact the relevant Consumer Authority.

We were due to fly to Sydney on the 1 May but of course it was all cancelled we got our situation sorted out with Air Asia after some hassles I can appreciate they must all have been inundated with calls etc so will take time.

I always book via credit card, that way you are covered. Once booked through a travel agent who only accepted bank transfer. You can guess ..... the airline failed and travel agent folded 2 weeks later. Lost 2000 GBP. So only credit card now.

Fortunately i saw the disaster coming this year, scrapped my UK visit plans for May at the end of January, no regrets.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

Hi, update for anyone in similar situation. I originally opened a case with Paypal. I was suprised it was won in sellers (BA) favour. I never got to see sellers PP responses btw. But now having telephoned PP they tell me BA won because they had told PP "they didnt cancel the flights"!!! Complete lie .. i still have email showing the BA10 and BA9 flights cancelled by BA in big red boxes. I can't believe BA could lie like this, and secondly  I can't believe how PP just accepted what they said.

Case now reopened, lady at PP says she can now see both flights WERE cancelled. I have forwarded her the flight cancelation e-mail from BA to. .. Lets see what happens now !

Put a reminder in your mind never to  book BA again and after a successful conclusion email and tell them so, you might get a voucher as well as refund, on a similar issue about airlines, people are quick to knock Thai Airways but this is my experience following a  LHR-Swampy flight 25/12/2017, a technical fault linked to a shortage of assistance due to being Christmas day caused a 7 hour dep delay which entitled me to a £600 cash refund, or a voucher for £800.  i claimed the voucher after arriving at Swampy and collected it 2 days later with coffee and biscuits.

Good luck with your claim, i claimed from Wizz air 4 years ago again a 5 hour delay and they wont even acknowledge that I've made a claim.

Hi,

Only had positive experiences with BA thus far. 

Had already checked in online for a flight on Mar25, but got an email in the evening informing me that I could still change my flight plan and get a voucher for the ticket amount for future use. Given current situation, I decided not to travel and ask for the voucher. Website quite busy, took me 3 tries to get through and apply. Got my voucher about 4 weeks later, took long time but still got it.

Both 2018 and 2019, flight left delayed from Bkk and lost my connection in HTR...customer service provided me with hotel, meal and transport vouchers straight away, no fuss. 

Planes are old, crew is not the kindest, but still very happy!

• Like 2

OP, afaik the EU 261 rule is still valid in UK. The airlines must offer you a refund option if they cancel a flight departing or arriving in UK.

Etihad tried to offer a voucher to my gf for a cancelled flight from Switzerland, they did refund the money after I pointed them to the EU rule and told them I'll raise the issue with the relevant Swiss authorities.

• Like 1

My BA flight was cancelled Rang the exec club on skype same day and was offered vouchers or re-booking The agent was superb as i intend to travel with them at a later date . Got another voucher for another cancelled flight which i will use later in the year . Didn't pursue the refund route/option.  Etihad totally refused to refund and only offered vouchers.  Got my money back from them via my credit card.  But I think I was lucky!  This gents. problem seems to be a Paypal issue? To be honest this is the first I have heard of people paying for flights with Paypal I didn't know it was an option when booking with BA or any other airline.  But, even so, if you can,  it is an option I would NEVER consider Nor do I understand why anyone would use Paypal versus a regular credit card.  Currently if you are UK based Halifax Clarity comes out as the best option (Martins Money Tips) providing you pay off the balance each month for future reference.

• Like 1

Thanks for your support and help. PP this morning told me 'not covered', as  BA had told PP 'The flights wern't cancelled! They didnt show PP any evidence of this, PP just just took their word for it.

Anyway I have spoken to PP again today and case re-opened now... for the 3rd time. PP have received my proof email that BA did send me saying 'both flights cancelled'.... Email date 19th March. PP will now forward it to BA to see what they have to say. 

BA website clearly shows no BA10 flights from BKK to London after 29 th March. I've supplied this evidence to PP now aswell. Why couldnt they just check? Why beleive BA everything and the customer (me) nothing? With no evidance from the seller. 

Even if flights did fly , the one and only e-mail I received stated ' flights cancelled'. So I wasnt going to travel 2 hour taxi to airport on the off chance.  I (did) like BA because I like Heathrow Terminal 5.

My first flight was 7th April 2020 BTW. No flights flew AFAIK, but irrevelevant as had already told me my 7th April BA10 flight was cancelled (and my 26th April BA009 flight aswell), with no further emails.

Edited by Rolanddrums