Wearing a mask while running ‘very harmful’

snoop1130

Wearing a mask while running ‘very harmful’

By The Nation

800_922f8070cc39c05.jpg

The Department of Health has said that people should not wear a mask while running or exercising as that will cut down on their access to oxygen, but warned that masks need to be worn if there are other people close by. The department has also ordered that all exercise sites should be sanitised. 

Department chief Panpimol Wipulakorn said now that the government has loosened some measures, many people have returned to running and exercising in public parks and stadiums. However, she said, it will be injurious to health if people wear masks when exerting themselves. 

She also said that runners should maintain distances and only wear a mask when coming in close contact with others. She also warned people to avoid unnecessarily touching surfaces in public places.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/lifestyle/30387328

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-05

There was an article the other day in an English news paper about wearing a mask to long, there has been a spate of car accidents due to the build up of carbon monoxide in the mask

• Like 1

At the beginning of the year, due to pollution I trialed a n95 running mask. Did 6km a couple of days in a row and found it extremely hard but doable. Some athletes use masks to cut down on oxygen (similar to altitude training).

Its not for everyone.

The heavier you are the more oxygen you need when exercising, the more you have to breath, the more difficult it will be to do that with a mask. A thin 40 kg lightweight might still get the required oxygen through a mask, but a 100 kg heavyweight, no way.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

There was an article the other day in an English news paper about wearing a mask to long, there has been a spate of car accidents due to the build up of carbon monoxide in the mask

No. You exhale carbon dioxide, not monoxide. CO2 still contains very substantial amounts of O2. 

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The Department of Health has said that people should not wear a mask while running or exercising as that will cut down on their access to oxygen,

I wear a mask when out, even on the motorbike. However I definitely don't wear a mask when out cycling.

As the man said, it effectively makes it too hard when you're breathing heavily through a mask, plus if it's not too hot then my outgoing breath would steam up my spectacles.

I carry a mask with me in case I need to speak to someone, or am stopped by the police. So far they have ignored me completely.
Perhaps they're worried I might breathe on them? A blessing in disguise.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what exactly is 'common sense' these days. In the past, I used to wear an N95 mask during aerobics classes at a nearby park when the PM2.5 levels were high. Uncomfortable, but I never felt a lack of oxygen.  No aerobics at the moment but I'm sure the pollution levels will return as Bangkok returns to 'normal'. I'm wearing a cloth mask at the park after it reopened on Sunday but I'm not running or jogging. No problem for me.  To each their own but if you don't have a mask, don't get too close to me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pookiki said:

I'm not sure what exactly is 'common sense' these days. In the past, I used to wear an N95 mask during aerobics classes at a nearby park when the PM2.5 levels were high. Uncomfortable, but I never felt a lack of oxygen.  No aerobics at the moment but I'm sure the pollution levels will return as Bangkok returns to 'normal'. I'm wearing a cloth mask at the park after it reopened on Sunday but I'm not running or jogging. No problem for me.  To each their own but if you don't have a mask, don't get too close to me!

I cycle in Udon without a mask - that's not too close is it?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Well your in Bangkok so it probably feels like you get more oxygen through the face mask due to the pollution

for the rest of us outside BKK we definitely get more oxygen without a mask blocking the air flow to our mouth and nose.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Another benefit of not wearing a mask, those you wouldn't want to meet don't come close to you out of themselves. What could be better?

• Like 1

I wear an N95 mask over my mouth and nose when I jog 5 Km each morning.

I neither feel faint nor lacking oxygen.  I'm 61 years old.

I guess some of you already have a compromised respiratory system...... ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

The last thing you need in 40 degrees heat is to wear a mask. 

Not only is a mask uncomfortable but life-threatening, the truth is finally out.

Anyway, it's a moot point, I never wear my mask now on principle. Went shopping, restaurant, never an issue with anybody.

We don't wear masks at all in Australia only Asian people do