It was only open for one day! Mayor bemoans visitors who left Bang Saen beach covered in trash

webfact

3 hours ago, JWRC said:

I don't know this beach but a lot of that rubbish looks like it has been washed up by the tide. However I do have a question, are rubbish bins available anywhere? I live in a different province, but there are no rubbish bins to be found anywhere, not even in shopping malls, so just where are folks supposed to put rubbish. 

Rubbish bins are so few and far between, it would take weeks to find one. Been like that for at least the past thirty years to my knowledge. Having said that, there are bins in the local shopping mall, have been since it opened 4 years ago.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I saw a documentary about the enormous amount of plastic in the ocean. There was a clip showing some uninhabited islands full of plastic debris washed up on the beaches.

You don’t say 

• Haha 1

I wonder when was the last time that beach was cleaned.  Pattaya Beach is cleaned every single morning--I watch it being done with my morning coffee.   No way did that much trash come from one day of beach usage.  Idiot mayor.  Likely it has been there since the last storm.  Pattaya Beach photo, taken this morning.  If you look closely you can see the tractor cleaning the beach.

P_20200508_095109.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, natway09 said:

He is still right.

The earth is just too precious for us humans.

We just do not have the brains to look after it properly,

Just maybe with the cruiseliners not frequenting these shores at present & less speedboats running around the rubbish may diminish a little

it will never happen. humans by nature are geniuses but selfish. they only care about their own lifetime on this planet. most everything they do is for their own survival and fun during their time on this globe. it is what it is. every generation should be prepared for a more crowded, warmer, tougher,dirtier and a generally worse planet than of the generation before.

Edited by pattayadude

Tell Anutin, the gifted head representative of the public health (hell?) department; there must be more of those dreadful "dirty farang" around ...... get the full forces out to hunt - while the hunting is good! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, British Bulldog said:

But give the Mayor a go ... at least he 'seems' to be trying ... lets hope he can hold up his word and teach his people a lesson ... got to start somewhere !

I thought it started 2564 years ago?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He also commented on filthy people depositing trash in canals that go into the sea. He could seal them off but that won't solve matters in the long term - it is the people throwing stuff in the canals that is the problem.

Wow !  could they possibly be filthy Thais instead of the  much maligned filthy foreigners ? 

Environmental responsibility is not a value individually or collectively in the Thai culture...

needs to be a mandatory Periodic course throughout Thai School curriculum...

currently an abusive relationship with the environment at a very rudimentary  level....finish a beverage or snack, throw the packaging on the ground...out of my sight out of my mind mentality...  

To be the mayor of a seafront town and not be able to recognise trash that has been brought in by the tide, one must be whether a complete moron, or have bad intentions, actually probably both in this case (knowing which mafia family "rules" over the area)!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bodga said:

Now you see the REAL Thailand and Thai  people, they are  simply  filthy imo.

I  like it best when they try to hide their  rubbish deposits as if  you can't see them do it it's  ok.

Maybe you should have used the pronoun "some" or just move to a country where all the natives are not filthy or don't fight all the time or don't know know how to park.

• Like 1

Unfortunately we are governed by folks that are NOT intelligent in the least.

Now what is his recourse...? Close the beaches for everyone!

In his mind problem solved.

Education and common sense is the key to solving issues and problems, It starts at a young age in the classroom.

AND Yes, place trash bins along the beaches...but then someone of course has to empty those bins on a regular basis. And that costs money.

We all really need to address the "elephant in the room" on our worldwide issues...

OVERPOPULATION.

My hunch is that will never be addressed until its too late.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Seeing that trash washing up on the beach is pretty much unavoidable, maybe the smart thing to do is quit pointing fingers and just get on with cleaning it.  Like they do on my favorite Thai beach in Songkhla...

The lower photo was taken the day after a big storm mucked up the water and soiled the beaches.  Yet there wasn't a speck of debris.  If your livelihood depends on clean beaches, seems only reasonable to spend some tourist $$$ on cleaning them.

Samila Beach Cleaner.jpg

SKL Beach Cleaner 2.jpg

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I saw a documentary about the enormous amount of plastic in the ocean. There was a clip showing some uninhabited islands full of plastic debris washed up on the beaches.

Nothing new! This is a huge Worldwide problem!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1