Tipping (not A City In China)

Loz

I love this thread. It's easy to identify the miserable buggers and those who enjoy their lives and their experiences here.

I dont care WHAT the ratio of my tip to daily salary levels are. I tip caddies 250-300 irrespective of where I play. I do it because I have this strange notion that I should be free to do with my money what i want to, not what a bunch of cheapskates on an anonymous internet forum decides (because, I suspect, they can't afford it).

If my perceived generosity or irresponsibility ruins it for other members, tough. Take up a new sport.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you give doesn't seem to be what you get when it comes to tipping.

I've never once received a tip in my life for the attentive and diligent service I give day after day in my uk job (graphic design), but I seem to go through life meeting plenty of people who seem to think that I should be healthily tipping THEM :o caddie, taxi, barber, waitress, bartender, bellboy, massage, cleaner, dustman ..... Bahhhh Humbug!

Now if I could just find that somebody wiling to give me that tip of twice my daily sallary..... :D

Go to work for ChuckD, he seems to like to give it away.

Not a bad idea. Marvo could quit his graphic design joband go to work as a caddy. He might make 3,000-4,000 per month and get to walk around in the hot sun for five hours every day.

How much does IraqRon donate to the caddy fund? Care to share any little secrets?

I love this thread. It's easy to identify the miserable buggers and those who enjoy their lives and their experiences here.

I dont care WHAT the ratio of my tip to daily salary levels are. I tip caddies 250-300 irrespective of where I play. I do it because I have this strange notion that I should be free to do with my money what i want to, not what a bunch of cheapskates on an anonymous internet forum decides (because, I suspect, they can't afford it).

If my perceived generosity or irresponsibility ruins it for other members, tough. Take up a new sport.

Well said.

Maybe he have a lot more money than you, money is better in his pocket than in the caddie pocket.

Anyway, 200 or 2 000 bahts is not really diferent for who have money... the problem is not the money, a tip should be 15% of the price maximum, if you give 100 or 200% in tip..., is not just a tip, is like you are paying double price.

So why you don't pay double price for everything you buy and every service you have ? The course i'm playing is something like 500 baht à round. 200 for the caddie and 200 tip or 300 tip is 1 000 baht, so double price for a round. Is not normal to pay double price.

I know people who give a thousand baht for a shirt who cost only 150 baht, they are happy to tip 850 baht to the seller, the seller is asking me 600 baht for the same shirt, i will pay him only 150 baht and no tip, believe me, this shirt just cost him 50 baht, maybe less depending on the quantity. Why i should pay him 600 or 1 000 ? Money is better in my pocket.

Sorry for the english, french here *_*, saving money on the caddies maybe i can get a english lesson :o

• 2 months later...
I have never played golf in Thailand on the course for the moment, i ask before go for don't make any mistakes. Anyway, i would like to tip the thai tip and not the farang tip.

Johan, if you never play golf in Thailand why do you bother posting in this thread?

This thread is for people playing golf in Thailand, people who understand what a caddy in Thailand is supposed to do, people that understand why they have 300 caddies on a golf course etc.

:o:D:D

• 1 month later...

200 baht seems to have been the "norm" since I came to Thailand about 14 years ago. I tip caddies anywhere between 200 and 1,000 baht.

200 baht - for anything less than average service.

300 baht - for average/good service

400 for anything better than average

500 + for outstanding

For me, a good caddie is one that keeps up, smiles, does the expected duties like cleaning golf balls, repairing divot marks, raking bunkers, and at least appears to be making some kind of effort. There are some people that expect them to read putts, but you can't really expect them to give you a proper read unless they know exactly what speed you are going to hit the putt.

I also take into consideration how often they get out every week, what my score was, if we were walking or riding, and if they do anything out of the ordinary.