Thailand Has 4th Fastest Internet Speeds in the World As of March 2020

Pib

20 years ago, even 10 years ago, Thailand's WAN capabilities were just laughable. The opposite is the case now. The speeds and genuine performance I can get on my Thai connections at the price I pay would be just fantasy in the UK, even today. Domestic bandwidth is effectively unlimited now, but there are still some problems with international capacity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, splendid for Thai sites in Thai language ...

That's really more than a little over simplistic. Streaming services, for example, often have local peering agreements or even fully fledged mirrors, to improve streaming services locally rather than relying on international gateways. This is the case in most countries where there are subscriber numbers significant enough to warrant the investment, not just in Thailand. It matters, whether you get it or not.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NilSS said:

That's really more than a little over simplistic. Streaming services, for example, often have local peering agreements or even fully fledged mirrors, to improve streaming services locally rather than relying on international gateways. This is the case in most countries where there are subscriber numbers significant enough to warrant the investment, not just in Thailand. It matters, whether you get it or not.

Can you name a few, because as far as I'm aware Google - youtube and Netflix are all in Singapore.

I also notice that if I do a speed test on single connection to Europe, I will double the download speed by enabling Singapore VPN.

All major Thai companies, including the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission, host their websites outside Thailand

1 hour ago, NilSS said:

20 years ago, even 10 years ago, Thailand's WAN capabilities were just laughable. The opposite is the case now. The speeds and genuine performance I can get on my Thai connections at the price I pay would be just fantasy in the UK, even today. Domestic bandwidth is effectively unlimited now, but there are still some problems with international capacity.

1000 baht pm for 200meg line, includes phone line which I don't use.

On Speedtest, I get around 180-190, helps living near an exchange.

Just run a test.

image.png.6edd9a4f5ae21f3f86ba7dcc8cdb26b3.png

Edited by Chelseafan

26 minutes ago, Susco said:

Can you name a few, because as far as I'm aware Google - youtube and Netflix are all in Singapore.

I also notice that if I do a speed test on single connection to Europe, I will double the download speed by enabling Singapore VPN.

All major Thai companies, including the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission, host their websites outside Thailand

Google actually have racks in the CAT IDC in Bangkok, but in any case, it's the peering and transit arrangements that matter, and for the same reasons I colo my own rack in Singapore. I route my own connections to the UK via Singapore, my iPlayer performance is so good I might as well be in the UK with an aerial on the roof.

Edited by NilSS

1 minute ago, NilSS said:

That ping time clearly indicates you're not testing from Thailand, unless the laws of physics have changed.

No I'm in London. Converted GBP into Baht. My point is that Internet is just as cheap in UK.

Edited by Chelseafan

15 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

My point is that Internet is just as cheap in UK.

I'd question that. Our CAT line, 150/150 symmetrical fibre is something like 350 Baht. Our 3bb line, 200/200 symmetrical fibre, is 599 Baht per month, on average around half the cost of your similar line in the UK. Our upload speeds consistently match the download speed too, unlike your test result.

There are two types of ISP, those that have their own networks, and those that don't. In the UK, it's effectively just BT, who have a very unhealthy monopoly on UK wide communications, and everyone else relies on them

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

1000 baht pm for 200meg line, includes phone line which I don't use.

On Speedtest, I get around 180-190, helps living near an exchange.

Just run a test.

image.png.6edd9a4f5ae21f3f86ba7dcc8cdb26b3.png

I have several customers in the UK and they all complain about poor speeds to neighbouring countries, and even in country.

Virgin seems to struggle with their network for the past week.

For 690 Baht you get 1000/200 fibre in Thailand currently

19.9 Mbps upload is certainly not what you pay for

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

Laying out fibre easy here compared to Australia.

Australia slow laying out fibre due o regulations.

No running wires overhead allowed many states and council areas.

Any Internet provider can run 500 metres our house here at  no cost to us, just hang from power poles or trees.

In Australia lots people still waiting because of regulations.

I all good with overhead while you looking at that you miss rubbish on ground.

Down side is fallen wires can remove the odd head.

????????????

8 minutes ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Any Internet provider can run 500 metres our house here at  no cost to us, just hang from power poles or trees.

We run a private power grid, on which we have our own fibre network. If I ever find an ISP has hung their fibre from our bolts/clips, I'll cut their cables down. It takes them a few visits to figure it out, eventually they come to see us and ask for permission, and we give them permission at no cost, but we then we'll hand them our specs, which we strictly enforce. . . this significantly increases their installation costs.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Susco said:

I have several customers in the UK and they all complain about poor speeds to neighbouring countries, and even in country.

Virgin seems to struggle with their network for the past week.

For 690 Baht you get 1000/200 fibre in Thailand currently

19.9 Mbps upload is certainly not what you pay for

1000mps ? It may be advertised but I doubt anyone gets that.

However, I agree, upload speeds in the western world are appalling.

28 minutes ago, NilSS said:

I'd question that. Our CAT line, 150/150 symmetrical fibre is something like 350 Baht. Our 3bb line, 200/200 symmetrical fibre, is 599 Baht per month, on average around half the cost of your similar line in the UK. Our upload speeds consistently match the download speed too, unlike your test result.

There are two types of ISP, those that have their own networks, and those that don't. In the UK, it's effectively just BT, who have a very unhealthy monopoly on UK wide communications, and everyone else relies on them

There is a difference between advertised speeds and actual speeds. I may be wrong but I doubt many get those sort of speeds consistantly but as I just stated in a previous post, upload speeds need to be improved. Can you run a speedtest ? Do you consistantly get 150 download speed ?

Edited by Chelseafan

4 minutes ago, NilSS said:

It's impossible for me to give an accurate result because there are 40 or 50 people using any one of our 4 lines at one time. However, here's the 3bb line I just tested, 200/200 rated. . .

9416998452.png

As I said, I'm competing with lots of other people around our offices.

I can believe those sort of speeds and you're right it does depend on how many people using the line. It's the 1000 speed I find hard to believe.

Using Ookla

image.png.b76baddb13b42a2e0917f7d489f035ac.png

Edited by Chelseafan

1 minute ago, Chelseafan said:

I can believe those sort of speeds and you're right it does depend on how many people using the line. It's the 1000 speed I find hard to believe.

And why does this matter? In times of hardship if people have no money to buy food.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

And why does this matter? In times of hardship if people have no money to buy food.

It matters because if a IP is advertising speeds but not living up to them then its fraud.

Whats hardship got to do with it, you could say the same about anything, beer, ciggaretttes. My replies have been based on the article and the replies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

It matters because if a IP is advertising speeds but not living up to them then its fraud.

Whats hardship got to do with it, you could say the same about anything, beer, ciggaretttes. My replies have been based on the article and the replies.

No more questions