Post your 1Gb speed tests here

Susco

These days all ISP's offer 1Gb Fibre, and so claims 3BB with their Gigatainment package, but are they really delivering 1Gb?

I am now in a discussion with 3BB, because my speed tests show around half of that 1 GB, using the 3BB speediest - Ookla - Speedtest.net - the Netflix test or Nperf.

In short every speed test shows the same much lower speed, regardless which PC used, all with Gigabit LAN and connected directly to the router.

Yesterday the 3BB technician came here, connected his laptop and got the same low speed results.

The one and only way to see that speed as a result is by installing the speedtest.net app for Windows, or using the speedtest.net extension for Chrome.

The Windows app and the Chrome extension are basically the same thing. Also, all other Chrome speed test extension show the same low speed.

So his explanation was that all browsers and speed test websites can't handle 1000 Mbps download speeds, however he also admitted that only 2 weeks ago, before the big promotion started, it was perfectly possible to have 1Gb downloads through the very same websites. I had technicians here around that time, and they enabled the 1Gb package and realized that download speed through the 3BB speed test

So basically according to them there is currently only 1 single app in the whole world that can show the " real " speed of 1Gb.

Do you smell the same thing as me?

So may I ask all of you, who have a 1Gb Fibre package with whatever ISP, to do a local speed test with whatever website through a browser and post a screenshot of the result here? Please use only a device connected by LAN cable, speed tests over a wireless connection don't make sense.

I would prefer if you use the sped test of your provider, or Ookla or speedtest.net

Please note the point is to use a website to do the speed test, and not the speedtest.net app for Windows or the Chrome extension

Please add which ISP you are using.

Thanks

Edited by Susco

3BB fiber, 1GB/500, LAN cable connected to PC.

Using "official" https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/ on Firefox browser.

(to "Bangkok" server)

10 ms

This is a bit lower than the results of the last days.

Especially upload was never underperforming.

Not yet a reason to complain for me.

Generic OOkla (https://www.speedtest.net) to "Khon Kaen" server delivers better results:

896.90, 516.28, 4

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

3BB fiber, 1GB/500, LAN cable connected to PC.

Using "official" https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/ on Firefox browser.

10 ms

This is a bit lower than the results of the last days.

Especially upload was never underperforming.

Not yet a reason to complain for me.

Thanks, but can you please post a screenshot of the test, as that is what I need as evidence.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

This is a totally useless thread, due to many reasons. I will give you some:

• The 1 GB speed offer is if you are alone on the node you are connected to, which almost never is a fact.
  • To get up to the speed of 1 GB, which is virtually impossible, you will need to have the latest computer with very high specs.
  • Even with a new high spec com, it´s not enough. You can not have any software installed that might slow down you connection, due to that the computer is multitasking.
  • You will also need to have the absolute best RJ45 fibre cable, that gives you 0 resistance receiving the signal

3BB GUARANTEES in their terms and conditions a minimum speed of 900 Mbps.

So I don't think this is such a useless thread.

If network speed tests show that my network speed is 1.2Gb, then I assume I have the perfect LAN cable. Not?

Edited by Susco
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

So I don't think this is such a useless thread

Complaining about half the speed is indeed legit.

Useless were some threads where posters complain about 9xx instead of 1000.00.

Not understanding that 1000 Mbit/s not only requires ideal fiber connection but also ideal cabling to the PC/device and best Ethernet interface, ideal test conditions as described in post #3.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Complaining about half the speed is indeed legit.

Useless were some thread where poster complain about 9xx instead of 1000.00.

Not understanding that 1000 Mbit/s not only requires ideal fiber connection but also ideal cabling to the PC/device and best ethernet interface.

My optical power is 19.4 dBm and I use Cat5e cable of 1.5 meter length, so that should be more than sufficient to have the full speed

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1000/100 

So similar to my last result.

Upload OK, but download somewhat limited or poor.

In the "rest of worlds" there are fears that the quarantine/lockdowns might lead to overload on the net. All sittting at home and doing bandwidth hungry stuff.

Recently read about an update for some PC game, size of 83 to 105 GB(!).

Thousands waiting for.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, Susco said:

My optical power is 19.4 dBm and I use Cat5e cable of 1.5 meter length, so that should be more than sufficient to have the full speed

I was one of the early adopters and it was 600/100 at the start.

The past few days it's struggling to get 500/100.

Looks to me like their system can't cope with everyone on 1000.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:
7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1000/100 

So similar to my last result.

Upload OK, but download somewhat limited or poor.

In the "rest of worlds" there are fears that the quarantine/lockdowns might lead to overload on the net. All sittting at home and doing bandwidth hungry stuff.

Recently read about an update for some PC game, size of 83 to 105 GB(!).

Thousands waiting for.

Your results are very much acceptable, if you reboot router and pc you might even get a slightly higher result, but I would be happy with 875 Mbps.

24 minutes ago, Susco said:

3BB GUARANTEES in their terms and conditions a minimum speed of 900 Mbps.

So I don't think this is such a useless thread.

If network speed tests show that my network speed is 1.2Gb, then I assume I have the perfect LAN cable. Not?

Total fake! They can not guarantee that speed. There must be a lot of small terms and conditions that you´ve missed to read.

• Like 1

3BB 1000/500 out in the2020-03-19.png.f288d616a96f7b353260d347b1c74d03.png jungle. Router connected to my NUC via a 20, yes 20 metre CAT 6 cable. it is slow today, the Ping is usually 1 ms!

I still get over 200Mb/s/100 via Express VPN to London.

Edited by stouricks
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Susco said:

In short every speed test shows the same much lower speed, regardless which PC used, all with Gigabit LAN and connected directly to the router.

Yes this has been the case since cable routers/internet began.  I remember my friend in Seattle who signed up with one of the first big companies selling cable model internet service in 1997.  Company said speed will always depend on how many users in the area.

Companies can claim the highest speed attainable, when offering their packages, but do not guarantee it and never have AFAIK 

Simple fact, the more people active on the network/ISP, the slower your speed will be.

17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Total fake! They can not guarantee that speed. There must be a lot of small terms and conditions that you´ve missed to read.

2 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Companies can claim the highest speed attainable, when offering their packages, but do not guarantee it and never have AFAIK 

terms.PNG.056b3aa737202dae082d34f711163380.PNG

5 minutes ago, stouricks said:

3BB 1000/500 out in the2020-03-19.png.f288d616a96f7b353260d347b1c74d03.png jungle. Router connected to my NUC via a 20, yes 20 metre CAT 6 cable. it is slow today, the Ping is usually 1 ms!

I still get over 200Mb/s/100 via Express VPN to London.

Please note that I explicitly asked to do the speed test through the website and not the app or google extension.

The spped test you show is through the windows app

Just now, Susco said:

Please note that I explicitly asked to do the speed test through the website and not the app or google extension.

The spped test you show is through the windows app

Through which website please?

I do however realise that even though I can connect and download stuff at up to 1Gb/s, if whoever I am connected to is only pumping stuff IN at 100Mb/s, that is the speed I shall get.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I do however realise that even though I can connect and download stuff at up to 1Gb/s, if whoever I am connected to is only pumping stuff IN at 100Mb/s, that is the speed I shall get.

Yes, that´s 100 % correct. It´s the weakest link in the system that sets the rules.

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

Since you are on 3bb you can just enter this address in any browser

https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

Or you also can do this one, which is the web version of your app

https://www.speedtest.net/

I get it now, here in BKK i have the slowest fibre connection of all (by wifi)...maybe that's why i get an error when i click on a youtube movie...then i click on refresh and it starts immediatly. That's since 3 weeks now, do you guys also get that error on youtube?