NON O Extension

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for an extension of stay up to last day of your permit to stay from a non-o visa or an existing extension of stay. Of course it is best to do it as early as possible or allowed (30 days at most offices or 45 days at others).

Your visas validity means nothing once you are in the country,

I just started planning to make a switch to 1 year extension from a non o multiple entry based on thai spouse. 

Can you confirm that my plan is doable and correct? 

Mid July i will put 400k into my Thai account and then head to the immigration office and apply for a 60 day extension.  This should give me the 2 months of money in bank requirement.  I then go back to the immigration with all the required documents and apply for 1 year extension and they will give me a 1 month under consideration stamp and the money needs to stay untouched during this time aswell. 

Just want to make sure i do it right because my non-o visa is expired so if the amnesty is not prolonged i would have to go back to homecountry which would most likely seperate me and my wife for a long time. 

How long after retirement visa expires can you still renew it?

I am in UK and concerned that by the time I return to Thailand my visa will have expired. Is there any allowance being made?

What should I do?

Edited by twix38

11 minutes ago, twix38 said:

How long after retirement visa expires can you still renew it?

After your extension expires it is gone. In your case your re-entry permit will of expired.

11 minutes ago, twix38 said:

I am in UK and concerned that by the time I return to Thailand my visa will have expired. Is there any allowance being made?

No

13 minutes ago, twix38 said:

What should I do?

The best thing to do is get a single entry non-o visa from the embassy in London before you return so that you can apply for a new extension.

• Like 2

Thanks.

Already decided if it does go then so will I. Then just return to Thailand to send/take money back to uk and deal with my few Thai assets. 

I assume I could just arrive with no visa but on a VOA and have 30 days stay without having to do anything but arrive at BKK airport immigration?

Edited by twix38

3 minutes ago, twix38 said:

I assume I could just arrive with no visa but on a VOA and have 30 days stay without having to do anything but arrive at BKK airport immigration?

You would get a 30 day visa extempt entry not a 15 day visa on arrival. You can extend that 30 day entry for 30 days.

Thanks. Found out before, that extending 30 day visa exempt required a flight out booked within 30 days in order to extend. The exact rule may differ in words but thats the net effect. Does that still apply? If so then it's a nonsense and I will stick to the 30 days.

Edited by twix38

5 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Found out before that extending 30 day visa exempt required a flight out within 30 days in order to extend.

A ticket out of the country is not required to apply for the 30 day extension.

It may be needed to board your flight to here though.

So i could book a flight to return 60 days later knowing i will extend in thailand. Then I have a return ticket that works for me. I will of course buy a return ticket but if it must be within 30 days then it is a nonsense rule imv.

I thought that 60 day return ticket would not work when asked before. So net effect was a nonsense if in practical terms I must book a return flight for 30 days. I'm looking for a practical solution that works and afaik it means booking a cheap local flight within 30 days that I don't use but shows I depart within 30 days. Idiotic imv

Edited by twix38

8 minutes ago, twix38 said:

So i could book a flight to return 60 days later knowing i will extend in thailand.

The airline can ask for ticket out of the country within 30 days. A low cost one way ticket to any nearby country would be accepted.

4 hours ago, twix38 said:

Thanks.

Already decided if it does go then so will I. Then just return to Thailand to send/take money back to uk and deal with my few Thai assets. 

Latest news suggests that foreign holiday travel (that will be what you will be trying) from the U.K. is not going to be permitted this summer, even if the Thai visa exempt entries are permitted that soon and for British nationals.

There could be other conditions as well, medical insurance is quite possible.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Latest news suggests that foreign holiday travel (that will be what you will be trying) from the U.K. is not going to be permitted this summer, even if the Thai visa exempt entries are permitted that soon and for British nationals.

There could be other conditions as well, medical insurance is quite possible.

I've read that Matt Hancock has come out with some highly speculative nebulous claptrap about summer holidays being cancelled.  Unless your information is from another source, there is nothing he's mentioned about travel not being permitted.  In fact there seems to be nothing to back up what he's said (surprisingly) - in fact, conversely, Ryan Air say they are hoping to get a large number of flights going by July.  Undoubtedly the proposed 2 week quarantine will put a lot of people off, but I think it's far to early to second guess what the situation will be next week, let alone 3 months time with so many factors and imponderables yet to take into account.

If the OP is merely thinking of going to Thailand to sort a few things out, maybe a 2 week spell in isolation back in the UK might not be a problem?

7 hours ago, twix38 said:

Am I correct that you have to apply for your new Non O at least 21 days before your VOA expires?

1 hour ago, phetchy said:

Ryan Air say they are hoping to get a large number of flights going by July. 

Well I’m hoping to win the lottery and while my chances are poor they are probably as good as Ryan Air’s getting enough passengers to allow them to fly that soon given that they have said that a 3 3 row with only 4 passengers is uneconomic and they will not fly with those restrictions. They are said to require a load factor of over 80% to fly.

so pronouncements by Michael O'Leary should be taken with a whole bag of salt not just a grain.

the furlough scheme has just been extended to October and that suggests that summer holidays aren’t going to happen as the outcry against people getting government funded holidays would be enormous.

the chance that Thailand is going to open up to everyone I think is tiny, the chance that the U.K. infection rate will have dropped low enough to be considered for quite a while I think is remote.

however time will tell, and my Cristal ball is still being serviced.