What Age Did You Move Here?

What age did you move here ?   

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I totally missed the wonderful years of democracy under Thaksin.

Yesterday, I read the Bangkok Post from 2003, I kept a copy of the day my daughter was born.

Interesting reading  about the thousands of extra-judicial killings that went on.

I still have a resentment about him raising the visas from 500 baht to 1900 baht.

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yesterday, I read the Bangkok Post from 2003, I kept a copy of the day my daughter was born.

Interesting reading  about the thousands of extra-judicial killings that went on.

I still have a resentment about him raising the visas from 500 baht to 1900 baht.

Its thanks to that Greedy Little Chinese Chap we have this lot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Came here at 48 ,on a whim ,met a girl ,dont we all? then went back home ,she wrote to me ,so came back 6 weeks later , we were together a few yrs got into business with someone i met and ran the UK end back and for ,single again ,met my present wife while doing business here , she came to the UK for an extended holiday ,we got married ,lived in the UK ,then we decided to come back here to live ,been here 15 years ,i will die here ,our son has a very good job ,earns very good money for a Thai ,my wife has no money worries when i go ,so all in all glad we came .

• Like 2

Moved here at 43 (6 years ago). Sometimes I wish it was earlier when I had all that pent up sexual frustration in my 20's. But at the same time I wouldn't have stayed here if I wasnt fincally secure, Because what really makes me happy about living in Thailand is not being stuck in a 9-5 job.

Edited by London Boy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

66 now and seems the warranty on body expired... didn’t read the 

fine print....  living in NE nice slowed down pace... enjoy it!

Take this as an opportunity to get the body back into shape, e.g. I am 60 soon and was overweight for a number for years, aches, pains, underlying condition, with one bordering, but "chose", keyword, "chose" after 3 years of sitting here without exercise to finally get back into shape, and eat clean.

The above said I dropped 15kg, and have to say did look skinny at 75.5kg at 183cm tall, so gradually allowed myself to put back on some weight, always hovering around 80kg now, that said, you don't have to do much when you get there, light weight resistance training to maintain the muscles, previously sagging skin, stomach gone, and cardio 20 minutes a day, but not a must as it only provides you with 15% of weight lose.

If you try the above, you will clearly feel better and ride the aches and pains if you have any, we are all car engines, if we don't service ourselves regularly, we might not get much more use out of our engines.  

Living in the NE also, and it is nice that the pace has slowed down to my previous life 4.5 years ago.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, London Boy said:

Moved here at 43 (6 years ago). Sometimes I wish it was earlier when I had all that pent up sexual frustration in my 20's. But at the same time I wouldn't have stayed here if I wasnt fincally secure, Because what really makes me happy about living in Thailand is not being stuck in a 9-5 job.

Add some zinc supplements to your diet, that might help, along with some cardio workouts and watch the demon within unleash ????

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

light weight resistance training to maintain the muscles, previously sagging skin, stomach gone, and cardio 20 minutes a day, but not a must as it only provides you with 15% of weight lose.

I have a belly, despite running 25-30 km a week. I guess it's situps your talking about, or planks?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Take this as an opportunity to get the body back into shape

dont keep your hopes up on that one,

the body and brain enters full decay at age 40 and it is accelerating downhill

at ever higher rate for each decennial,

in a best case scenario he will, god willing, be able to find a way to end it

in a not too unpleasant way when pain becomes too much to cope with

Edited by brokenbone
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I have a belly, despite running 25-30 km a week. I guess it's situps your talking about, or planks?

no, the gut is all about fat and nothing to do with sixpack,

as nature would have it, we accumulate inner fat with age,

it cant even be safely surgically removed,

the alternatives are constant energy deficit or intermittent drugs that burns it away

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

no, the gut is all about fat and nothing to do with sixpack,

as nature would have it, we accumulate inner fat with age,

it cant even be safely surgically removed,

the alternatives are constant energy deficit or intermittent drugs that burns it away

What drugs burn it away? 

14 minutes ago, Kennycrossfit said:

What drugs burn it away? 

the most efficient of them all is dnp fatburner,

its possibly also the most lethal drug of them all if you overdose,

a man should not ever exceed 600 mg a day and a woman not above 400, that is doubly true for newbies

that do not know effects and cautions.

anyone that even contemplate it should scan google carefully and be well read up on the topic,

this aint placebo, its pure distilled poison, literally

Edited by brokenbone
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

I came here when i realised had no money worries, been happy ever since. Regret only not moving on to USA.

You might not want to be in the USA these days. Nanny state, police, virus, violent weather, inflation, all too much for me now. 

17 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

the most efficient of them all is dnp fatburner,

its possibly also the most lethal drug of them all if you overdose,

a man should not ever exceed 600 mg a day and a woman not above 400, that is doubly true for newbies

that do not know effects and cautions.

anyone that even contemplate it should scan google carefully and be well read up on the topic,

this aint placebo, its pure distilled poison, literally

Ah yes, I forgot about dnp.

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Next survey: Why did you more here:

a) all those girls

b) one specific girl

c) other

For me girls were not the reason, but a nice bonus!

Originally meditation and medication ???? 

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Next survey: Why did you more here:

a) all those girls

b) one specific girl

c) other

Other,was persuaded to come to Pattaya ,had never heard of it ,had no idea about the bars etc ,was very lucky when i arrived got friendly with a guy who warned me of the pitfalls ,main one ,only spend one night with a girl ,never more ,see my previous post to see how that worked out,mind you she was and although we split up over 22 years ago still is a very nice person . even my wife liked her when she met her.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I have always been a social drinker, 3 light beers x 3 nights a week when out, max 4 x 3 and being off the beer since they closed the bars, the belly has dropped even further.

Sit ups I don't do, call me lazy in that area, planks I did a while back which sorted my lower back problem which annoyed me for a lifetime, haven't done planks since, although I should to strengthen the core as I sit in a chair most of the day, albeit it is a very comfortable and expensive chair, get what you pay for, quality.

I know if I went hard, e.g. sit up, planks and the rest, I would lose the last remaining small belly and surrounds, but woman like a man with a little pot, that said, wife does an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, planks, sit up, HIIT and looks great, 57kg, 167cm, if she keeps it up, won't be anything left of her, T's are almost gone, reduced to school girls size, but I'm not complaining as there is a huge difference to the 63kg she was 2 months ago. 

The above said, she is 21 years my junior and can almost keep up with me in the sack now ????

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks, I'm taking the challenge

If you haven't heard of Dr Eric Berg, you will love the bloke, he is a world of knowledge and talks about many things, food, vitamins, Covid-19.

Hit the subscribe button and the bell and enjoy the two emails a day.

Edited by 4MyEgo

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

And as a citizen, you can buy land upcountry! As a relatively young arrival, do you think your attitude toward Thailand is different than someone arriving later in life?

Showing my age now. My original post before I edited it was correct. I arrived in October 1982, not 81.

To answer your question, different to some of those who arrived later in life, but not all. I had to learn the language because English was not as widespread as it is now (although still generally poor). As a result, I do not rely on others to do things for me or explain things. I can do everything myself. I also get my news first hand, not translated and filtered. I believe I understand the people better than some and as a result have assimilated (as far as that is possible) quite well. I do not have the mindset of an outsider. I am not always thinking "me" and "them". 

Basically, I love this country and this is my home. It is most certainly not Utopia and many things could be improved/changed for the better, but many things are also great as they are. But then that describes many countries. You just need to be a bit more open minded.   

• Thanks 1