What Age Did You Move Here?

What age did you move here ?   

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I was never there and never had the desire to go there. Too many white women.

I'm not over there at Haad Rin for the pale foreign women, I'm there for the dance and party, you might have missed something.

But yes, white women is a problem at beach parties, especially when they insist on a photo...????

Summer-of-2009_no-txt.jpg.98b3b2f4ef29c1a4f6170042bdf01bb7.jpg

However, numerous native also attends the rituel dances????, especially on neighboring Samui...????????

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

thanks, i have truly become  weakling when i couldnt even complete this, i will do this stuff, but on the bed due to various skeleton damages

Remember, to take your time, start slow and work you way into it, you have all the time in the world, even starting off at say 10 seconds for the 1st plank for the 1st week, something is better than nothing, then try 15 or 20 seconds per plank, before you know it, you will be there, I hope ????

35 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I have to laugh every time I hear these comments about the US.

Usually come from people who cannot afford to live in their own country.

Perhaps so, but not in my case. I own three houses in USA , a pool villa in Thailand, have bank accounts in three counties and hold precious metals in vaults in three countries. 

There is more to life than money though; quality of life, love, freedom, privacy, and a stable government and currency are of primary importantance to me. The USA is failing in these areas and I prefer Asian women to American barbie dolls. 

Still, I'm glad I was able to amuse you. Cheap thrills I guess. Enjoy. 

• Haha 1

About 42. Prior five years was nose to grindstone. Five before in Cambodia base, multrips to Myanmar and Lao as they opened up 92-96.5. First trip to Thailand 92. I thought Thailand an absolute bore, country for old men. A place to get a soft bed and a western meal every six weeks. Beaches always 5*

Next year marks thirty years in Asia. Half my life.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Perhaps so, but not in my case. I own three houses in USA , a pool villa in Thailand, have bank accounts in three counties and hold precious metals in vaults in three countries. 

There is more to life than money though; quality of life, love, freedom, privacy, and a stable government and currency are of primary importantance to me. The USA is failing in these areas and I prefer Asian women to American barbie dolls. 

A mere Peasant by US Standards. 

• Haha 1

Fifty'ish. All the pennies just fell in place - pension sorted, relationship breakdown, had a mate who knew the ins and outs. I know if I'd come here as a young man I'd have been ruined. As it was, it was a pretty close call. I do wonder how all these English teachers get by in their old age, I mean those guys who come here young and live hand to mouth. Knew of an old'ish guy at my last school who was a manager (like, high status, in that milieu) and shot off to Saudi cos he realised he had nothing saved for his old age. Yeah, people can talk about how they, personally, have it sorted, but we're talking about your average guy here. 

20 minutes ago, nausea said:

As it was, it was a pretty close call. I do wonder how all these English teachers get by in their old age, I mean those guys who come here young and live hand to mouth.

My last year teaching I earned 2 million baht after a little tax.

How much does an English teacher get paid in the UK after tax, rates and poll tax or whatever they have these days? 

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

@Neeranam

You should have changed the age category to start from 30, 40, 50 etc. instead of 31, 41, 51

You do know that retirement age is 50 and above. So if we put retirees into 41-50 age bracket it gives a false impression.

Good point but I doubt there are many who moved here exactly at 50 years old.

44 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My last year teaching I earned 2 million baht after a little tax.

How much does an English teacher get paid in the UK after tax, rates and poll tax or whatever they have these days? 

Good for you. Like I say, I'm talking about your Average Joe. I was earning around 50,000bt a month, without even trying very hard (to maximise my income). But you're not telling me the average English teacher in Thailand earns 2 million baht p.a. ? Anyway, the main problem for most long term UK English teachers in Thailand is old age. They don't have the UK working years to draw a decent UK pension, and their salary isn't enough to build up a decent cushion over here. Even those jobs that offer some kind of cushion it's usually totally inadequate, like one months salary for every year of service - 40 years will give you a 2 million baht pay off, and that will last you how long, and how many people have 40 years service.

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Let me guess?

You are driving a Ferrari in Thailand right?

Thailand has a stable government and currency? Come on man.

You just gave yourself away.

Sorry to say, nothing failing where I live. 

Preferring Asian women is easy, when that is all you can get. Be real about it. Why are you in Thailand in the first place? The temples? Trashy Beaches?

There is no 20 year old beach barbie hottie going to go out with a 50 - 60 year old no matter what, unless perhaps you have $100 million.

You have no choice.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I worked for 25 years as a teacher. Just cashed out my Social Security actually, 190,000 baht. Had the option of about 3500 baht a month for life.

A teacher's life is easy but pay is terrible. I had to supplement it with other things -  I was even a pro poker player for a year in between jobs and am going to do more of that in the future. 

3  years ago I paid 66,000 baht for 10 years backdated non voluntary Nation Insurance contributions class 2. So, I'll get a pension when I'm 67, if I keep paying it. I still do some work online, translation and editing.

My pension plan is some Bitcoin and other cryptos I own, and my kids ????

Applaud you for making it work.

• Like 1

Came at 26, everyone thought I was nuts. I'm now nearly 40 and wouldn't change my decision for anything. Might return to the UK at some point, some things I miss, but for now every time I head back I get frustrated with the regulations before a month is up. 

Spent most of my time up north, recently in Bangkok which is Hell, but great for the finances. COVID-19 has brought me back up north for a bit, and it is so much nicer I can't see myself returning to Bangkok permanently.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, naboo said:

Came at 26, everyone thought I was nuts. I'm now nearly 40 and wouldn't change my decision for anything. Might return to the UK at some point, some things I miss, but for now every time I head back I get frustrated with the regulations before a month is up. 

Spent most of my time up north, recently in Bangkok which is Hell, but great for the finances. COVID-19 has brought me back up north for a bit, and it is so much nicer I can't see myself returning to Bangkok permanently.

10 years in Bangkok was enough for me. It's good when you're young.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Good point but I doubt there are many who moved here exactly at 50 years old.

You will be surprised. There are many near 50 who is waiting for their age to turn 50 so they can apply for retirement visa.

13 hours ago, brokenbone said:

no, the gut is all about fat and nothing to do with sixpack,

as nature would have it, we accumulate inner fat with age,

it cant even be safely surgically removed,

the alternatives are constant energy deficit or intermittent drugs that burns it away

Nonsense, visceral fat increses with age, the gut can be worked off.

Diet and exercise.

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

I'm not over there at Haad Rin for the pale foreign women, I'm there for the dance and party, you might have missed something.

But yes, white women is a problem at beach parties, especially when they insist on a photo...????

Summer-of-2009_no-txt.jpg.98b3b2f4ef29c1a4f6170042bdf01bb7.jpg

However, numerous native also attends the rituel dances????, especially on neighboring Samui...????????

If you are on samui or phangan to pick up thai girls, you really are scraping the barrel.

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Let me guess?

You are driving a Ferrari in Thailand right?

Thailand has a stable government and currency? Come on man.

You just gave yourself away.

Sorry to say, nothing failing where I live. 

Preferring Asian women is easy, when that is all you can get. Be real about it. Why are you in Thailand in the first place? The temples? Trashy Beaches?

There is no 20 year old beach barbie hottie going to go out with a 50 - 60 year old no matter what, unless perhaps you have $100 million.

You have no choice.

The baht is incredibly stable.

Pick another currency and compare the last 10 years 

33 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Nonsense, visceral fat increses with age, the gut can be worked off.

Diet and exercise.

you dont know what you are talking about and have never had a sixpack.

sixpack requires extremely low fat, situps isnt going to give you those, its extreme diet or chemicals that does it.

i have been buffed from bodybuilding and i have had a sixpack, not simultaneously tho, the sixpack only ever came after many months on dnp, i was weaker then ever with next to no muscles when i sported a sixpack

-20kg.jpg

Edited by brokenbone

I can well believe a Genuin Mature Teacher here can earn 2mil, Years ago my 2 went to Assumption College Ubon Rat where the Brit  Music Teacher for the Marching Band did rather well... But also dont believe the majority of those weed puffing Oiks we see at small rural Schools get much above 30K.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brokenbone said:

thanks, i have truly become  weakling when i couldnt even complete this, i will do this stuff, but on the bed due to various skeleton damages

Did someone say it cured their back pain? 

It's given me terrible backpain????

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Did someone say it cured their back pain? 

It's given me terrible backpain????

it really cant get much worse then it is, and moreover my life has come to a complete halt because of the incapacitating pain, im stuck

4 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

I can well believe a Genuin Mature Teacher here can earn 2mil, Years ago my 2 went to Assumption College Ubon Rat where the Brit  Music Teacher for the Marching Band did rather well... But also dont believe the majority of those weed puffing Oiks we see at small rural Schools get much above 30K.

It's a big decision - 

1. get a job in rural Thailand when you are in your prime(20-30) and have a blast, with a higher standard of living that you could get in the UK/US/etc

2. work your ass off in the rat race, in a miserable environment for 30 years until you can afford to retire to Thailand, when you are past your prime, with the possibility you die shortly after. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brokenbone said:

you dont know what you are talking about and have never had a sixpack.

sixpack requires extremely low fat, situps isnt going to give you those, its extreme diet or chemicals that does it.

i have been buffed from bodybuilding and i have had a sixpack, not simultaneously tho, the sixpack only ever came after many months on dnp, i was weaker then ever with next to no muscles when i sported a sixpack

-20kg.jpg

I suppose I should be grateful its not a dick pick.

Forget you are not on r/gonewild for a moment there?

But thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I'll start to draw my UK pension in 5 years.  Although I've been out of the UK for 18 years, I can still top up/pay in to get a total of 25 years of NI contributions, which will give me about $800 USD per month.  Add on another $300 per month in interest from the money I save from my online teaching job, and then maybe another $500 a month for a few hours of online science teaching. $1,600 will allow me to live a very comfortable lifestyle here in north Laos (I rent a beautiful hardwood Lao house, pay for 5-star private medical cover etc).

If I returned to live in the UK, I'd be struggling financially for sure!  I'm very happy that I moved to live in south-east Asia at 43 years old ????

Do you pay class 2 contributions? I do, and very happy I can. 10 years ago I inquired and was told I had to pay about 300,000 baht for the previous 10 years. I ended up paying 66,000 baht about 3 years ago, to increase my years to 23. I was amazed that my time as a student was included, as well as when unemployed.

• Like 1