Advice please.

malt25

Mornin all  ????  Some advice please. I'd like to fit a warning buzzer to the ignition of my Yamaha Aerox. I've gotten into the very bad habit of kicking down the rest when I come to a stop. Often walk away with ignition still on & key in the ignition. Yes, I know, very careless of me. Does anyone out there have any idea of a suitable, small, buzzer I might use. Also how, where would you install ? How would you connect, wire it ?  I realise I could disconnect the switch from the stand but don't want to do this.

Thanks all in advance.  ???? 

Try changing your bad habit into a good habit! Before you go to sleep at night, go through correct routine in your mind. Mentally do it several times, until it runs like a manta.

And then translate that imprinted mental habit into a real live habit whenever you go for a ride.

It will work eventually. In the mean time @Crossy's key on a string is a good idea. You might be able to find one of those retracting key chains that attach to your belt.

Last thought. Please do NOT disconnect the side stand switch. It's there for your safety.

• Like 1

I thought aerox where all keyless, but obviously not. 

Definitely the  key on the end of a spring loaded key chain would be the answer, but while I was looking for something on Lazada a few days ago, I came across 2 keyless entry fobs. Not sure if they where for a car or a bike, but it might be worth a look. 

I have a earox with keyless, and when I walk away from the bike with ignition on, I get a beeping noise automatically. 

Edited by northsouthdevide

You can buy these at most mocy accessory shops, at the mall or market.

VIPER-KEY-STRETCH-LANYARD.jpg

Thais use them to prevent the police at a checkpoint from taking their keys. 

My Vespa would stop if I lowered the side stand but I never forgot the key. 1.2.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

It would be relatively straightforward to wire in a small buzzer - something like one of those reversing alarm buzzers or similar; you'll get one for a few quid from most car accessory emporiums - and then wire it from the oil light circuit. That way when you don't have oil pressure with your ignition on, the buzzer will sound...

• Like 1

Read the OP. He wants a buzzer to sound to stop him walking away with the key still in the lock.

What you need is a grasp of why the side-stand has a switch and not worry about why the centre stand doesn't have one. Then again I maybe wrong in assuming the Aerox has a side-stand switch based on my experience with other bikes. Cruise to a stop. Kick side-stand down and engine stops.

Anyway getting his bike stolen will remind him not to leave the key in the lock and the problem will be solved. 

Edited by VocalNeal

Something occurred to me last night. I was going through the virtual dismount routine in my own mind. The one that I recommended in my post #4. And I realized that something was missing from @malt25's narrative.

When I dismount my Aerox, as soon as I've switched off the engine I pop open the seat. (the ignition must be off to do that) Why do I do that? So that I can stow my helmet of course.

So here's a question for the O/P. What do you do with your helmet when you leave your motorcycle parked up?

On 5/13/2020 at 7:31 AM, Crossy said:

What do you actually want to achieve?

• A buzzer that sounds if you walk away whilst the ignition is on?
  • Warning if the stand is down and the ignition on?
  • Something else?

A string from the key to your belt would do the job ???? 

Possibly a jet-ski type safety switch?

Do you have a wiring diagram for the bike?

A buzzer that sounds if you walk away whilst the ignition is on?

9 minutes ago, malt25 said:

I would look at one of the keyless ignition add ons.

Sensing when someone walks away isn't easy, maybe check when the load goes off the seat or the suspension.

There's almost certainly a BlueTooth dongle that you link to your phone that sounds an alarm when the phone gets out of range.

String on the key is an easy fix.

Or, as noted before, a jetski safety switch, they pull off easily so just wire it instead of the key, walk away (or fall off) and it kills the ignition and/or sounds a buzzer.

http://www.dallinwood.com/Kawasaki_Jetski.htm

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The OP needs to adjust his head, not the scooter.

Habits are developed by repetition. He should train himself by starting and stopping the scooter 50 times in rapid succession, removing the key each time. Have his GF standing by to inflict pain each time he does it incorrectly.

Maybe you'd like to explain why..... Most cars are fitted with a warning buzzer if you leave the lights on & walk away. Most cars have a warning buzzer if you don't use your seat belt. Some cars have a warning buzzer if a door is ajar. Yes, all cars but still warning devices. Yes, I use a helmet. Like most locals here in a provincial town, I just place it on the seat. If you care to reread my post you'll notice I've already admitted that the habit is very bad. I'm trying to re-educate myself, but in the meantime I consider a warning device won't go astray. Oh, I suffered much pain inflicted by 2 Thai wives..... now very happily single.

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I would look at one of the keyless ignition add ons.

Sensing when someone walks away isn't easy, maybe check when the load goes off the seat or the suspension.

There's almost certainly a BlueTooth dongle that you link to your phone that sounds an alarm when the phone gets out of range.

String on the key is an easy fix.

Or, as noted before, a jetski safety switch, they pull off easily so just wire it instead of the key, walk away (or fall off) and it kills the ignition and/or sounds a buzzer.

http://www.dallinwood.com/Kawasaki_Jetski.htm

"String on the key is an easy fix."  I'm somewhat surprised someone hasn't suggested I attach said string to the head of my ol fella. That'd be a sure fire remedy. I wouldn't forget the key too many times me thinks !

• Haha 1

None of my bikes ever had a kickstand switch so this really doesn't apply (heck none had an electric starter either).

I got into the habit that when I turned off the ignition I always pulled the key, it became second nature. Even now 6x years later the act of turning off the ignition (in the truck) automatically leads to the key being removed and pocketed.

A mate had a Triton which didn't even have a key, it did have a manual ignition advance. The anti-theft device was to simply leave it fully advanced, any attempt to start it without moving to fully retarded resulted in a short flight through space (or a busted ankle) when it kicked back in a big way.

3 hours ago, malt25 said:

That is exactly what my XMax does. But it is equipped with the keyless ignition feature.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:
13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

What do you do with your helmet when you leave your motorcycle parked up?

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

He has a helmet??

You spoiled my cross examination. ????

• Haha 1

It's not just you forget the key, the battery goes flat too if not switched off properly, happened too me once in less than 25min. Had to recharge it and all was okay.

My friend and I have forgotten the key in ignition but in off position, after accessing the seat, a few times and came back after a few hours and the bike and key was untouched. Now I think this only can happen in LOS, a few other countries I can think of that the bike would have gone in a few minutes... !? Well, at least it's like that in Phuket...

As for OP, there is a little fob to buy , attach to your keyring and pair it with your phone, once you separate it sounds an alarm, look on the web...