Patient Confidentiality

Bananaman

A pal's missus works at a reputable private hospital here in LOS, she saw a genito-urinary doctor there and was diagnosed with an STD. This subsequently got put on her medical records and those records got passed through the hands of various staff from various departments in the hospital. Next thing it's highschool style nudging and whispering in the corridors as she goes by. Now this poor girl's character has been brought into question and it seems like her business is fit for all and sundry to know and discuss. I was fairly appalled when I heard this tale, I mean is there no such thing as doctor-patient confidentiality in this country?

Edited by Bananaman

Nope. Privacy in the sense we know from the west does not exist here. Just see the pictures in the papers of people dying on the shitter, lying naked in their own .... you get the picture. TiT. Again.

Edited by Phil Conners

The OP has little to do with doctor-patient confidentiality since it seems the nursing or clerical staff were the culprits. But as a general rule security on any sorts of records -- medical or otherwise -- is very lax here.

I can’t speak for anyone else on how they handle their clients confidentiality, but I follow the HIPAA guidelines from the states even though it is not necessary here in Thailand. Although it is a bit of a pain, it makes all the sense in the world.