My Fellow Americans, particulary those living in Chiang Mai: What is the LATEST news on PASSPORT RENEWAL at the Chiang Mai Conulate? Has Anyone been Successful in Renewal of their Passport (recently)? Super-Important Topic for Many Here.

JohnBarleycorn

Please post any reliable updates concerning the topic in the heading of this post.

Reliable information will be welcome to many, no doubt.

Not much more to say, since I, personally, have very little information, and at a time when many of us need more clarification from the powers that be.

Thank you, much.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

15 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Has anyone actually gotten in touch, by phone, or by visit, to a REAL person at the consulate?

John we are waiting for you to do that and report back.  Please get right on it.

What is the difference between a person and "a REAL person"?  And which are you?

Believe the issue is in USA - suspect passports are only made in NH on the old Pease AFB AFAIK and that state was placed on stay at home order since March (currently until May 31) and had 19 covid-19 deaths on one day last week so unlikely to be any passport processing for some time.

37 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe the issue is in USA - suspect passports are only made in NH on the old Pease AFB AFAIK and that state was placed on stay at home order since March (currently until May 31) and had 19 covid-19 deaths on one day last week so unlikely to be any passport processing for some time.

I believe you are correct:

1. All passport renewals must be sent state-side for issuing

2. Processing is getting very bogged down over there

But, here is another questions for you:  Might there be a fix or solution here in immigration for those who need to extend retirement visa IF they cannot receive renewed passport in time to process visa extension?  Or, what do you think might be done to accommodate such as situation which is obviously not in the control of the passport holder?

47 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

John we are waiting for you to do that and report back.  Please get right on it.

What is the difference between a person and "a REAL person"?  And which are you?

1. I am not a AI robot, if that is what you mean.

2. If I am able to glean any knowledge or information through a personal visit to see a REAL person at the consulate, then of course I will share it immediately.

3 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Surely somebody has.  Why do you ask?

I would think that it is incumbent upon any of my fellow Americans to immediately share any experiential knowledge they have gained about this topic, immediately, for the betterment of our group.

No doubt, there are many in my group who are similarly concerned about expiration of their 10-year passport, resulting in problems extending their retirement visas.

10 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

But, here is another questions for you:  Might there be a fix or solution here in immigration for those who need to extend retirement visa IF they cannot receive renewed passport in time to process visa extension? 

Normally they will provide extension up to expiration date of passport and I suspect immigration might accept one year passport up to its date of expiration if required.

31 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Normally they will provide extension up to expiration date of passport and I suspect immigration might accept one year passport up to its date of expiration if required.

1.  IF this is the case, then it would solve the problem for me (personally); my passport expires in May '21

2. BUT, what about others with passports that expire earlier?

3. May '21 is over a year away, fortunately.

3 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

2. BUT, what about others with passports that expire earlier?

A shorter than one year extension of stay.  If passport expiring immediately would try one year passport.

1 hour ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I would think that it is incumbent upon any of my fellow Americans to immediately share any experiential knowledge they have gained about this topic, immediately, for the betterment of our group.

I would think not.

So many Americans living here to get themselves out of “that group”.

incumbent, not for the Yanks I’ve met here.

OK, Just received email from U.S. State Department.   All Americans should register online with the consulate and you will get regular updates sent to you..................

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When will the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit reopen for non-emergency passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and notarial services?

A. The ACS units in Bangkok and Chiang Mai have suspended routine services until further notice. We are available to assist with emergency requests. The Embassy and Consulate General are adhering to guidance from the Department of State and the Royal Thai Government regarding the resumption of operations. When routine services are re-established, there will be limitations on the number of appointments available as we try to ensure our customers practice social distancing in our waiting rooms..........

I believe this is the link to register for travel and living abroad updates:
https://step.state.gov/  

Edited by silverhawk_usa
Added Link

2 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

OK, Just received email from U.S. State Department.   All Americans should register online with the consulate and you will get regular updates sent to you..................

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When will the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit reopen for non-emergency passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and notarial services?

A. The ACS units in Bangkok and Chiang Mai have suspended routine services until further notice. We are available to assist with emergency requests. The Embassy and Consulate General are adhering to guidance from the Department of State and the Royal Thai Government regarding the resumption of operations. When routine services are re-established, there will be limitations on the number of appointments available as we try to ensure our customers practice social distancing in our waiting rooms..........

I believe this is the link to register for travel and living abroad updates:
https://step.state.gov/  

OK.

Worth a try, maybe.

Now and in the future, after I register, Mother will always know where I am.

Thank you!

What is it that u don't understand about "title of topic", and it's purpose.

That should be a succinct short phrase of a few words that gives readers an idea of what ur topic is about, not a fully blown one paragraph monologue.

• Haha 1

Real live staff are available in the U.S. Embassy and Consulate for emergency U.S. citizen services, like if you're arrested or die.  Needing to get a retirement extension and having a passport that expires in less than a year is NOT an emergency.  Passports are produced in the U.S. and, at this time, they don't have the ability to produce new passports.  You simply apply for your retirement extension at immigration and it will be granted until the expiration of your passport.  Presumably, passport services will become available again before the expiration of your passport and you'll be able to get a new one and return to immigration to be granted the balance of your one-year retirement extension.

If your passport has expired and you want to return to the U.S., the Embassy/Consulate can issue a one-time emergency travel document that serves the same purpose as a passport.  It is only valid for return to the U.S., not for travel elsewhere.

The American Citizens Services section of the Chiang Mai Consulate is answering their phone during business hours.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

That should be a succinct short phrase of a few words that gives readers an idea of what ur topic is about, not a fully blown one paragraph monologue.

You want that I should send you a few longish PhD dissertation topic titles?

They might blow your socks off.

By comparison, the title/heading of this Post is a piece of cake.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

Real live staff are available in the U.S. Embassy and Consulate for emergency U.S. citizen services, like if you're arrested or die.  Needing to get a retirement extension and having a passport that expires in less than a year is NOT an emergency.  Passports are produced in the U.S. and, at this time, they don't have the ability to produce new passports.  You simply apply for your retirement extension at immigration and it will be granted until the expiration of your passport.  Presumably, passport services will become available again before the expiration of your passport and you'll be able to get a new one and return to immigration to be granted the balance of your one-year retirement extension.

If your passport has expired and you want to return to the U.S., the Embassy/Consulate can issue a one-time emergency travel document that serves the same purpose as a passport.  It is only valid for return to the U.S., not for travel elsewhere.

The American Citizens Services section of the Chiang Mai Consulate is answering their phone during business hours.

Thank you very much for this comment.

This is basically what I had hoped might be true, and it is helpful to hear you confirm what I suspected.

At this time, there is great uncertainty in our lives.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

At this time, there is great uncertainty in our lives.

In the olden days somebody with your concerns would have taken steps to contact the Consul by phone or whatever.  Why did you choose not to do that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

In the olden days somebody with your concerns would have taken steps to contact the Consul by phone or whatever.  Why did you choose not to do that?

In the olden days, one could just mosey into a US embassy or consulate without making an appointment via email, or phone for that matter.

Those were the golden olden days which I sorely miss.

You may be too young to remember how good it was before November 4th, 1979.

Anyway, I will take the advice of an earlier commenter and I will register with the consulate for updates, etc. Very sage advice.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

OK.

I agree with you.

I will heed your advice in future.????????

• Haha 1

Can anyone decipher the following words published on Th.usembassy.gov?:

The U.S. Embassy will no longer provide extension of stay requests. U.S. Citizens in Thailand temporarily have between now and July 31, 2020, to either return to the United States or their country of permanent residence or to obtain the appropriate visa type for your long-term stay in Thailand.

Please refer your specific visa questions directly to the Thai Immigration Bureau. More information can also be found here: https://immigration.go.th/content/extend_alien?click=1

On 5/14/2020 at 8:59 PM, lopburi3 said:

Normally they don't extend if the passport hasn't got a full year's validity left.

Hopefully, they will be more lenient in a time like this