How hot are your SSD, HDD, getting in this hot spell ?

worgeordie

I use Mini Pcs so they are fanless,we don't have A/c,so i have

had to put USB fans on them to cool a bit.

The other night I am streaming a movie and hear this alarm

go off,very loud,not sure if it was part of the movie,or coming

from outside, checked the PC and its an app that reports when

the SSD gets too hot,did not know it sounded an alarm !!!,

so the SSD is at 55 C,a bit hot,but SSD can go to 60 C,right ?

but the cooler the better, so how are your computers coping 

with the heat.

regards Worgeordie

This site https://harddrivegeek.com/ssd-temperature/ says most SSDs are good up to 70C but with the rider that the life of the memory may be reduced at high temperatures.

Using the suggested Open Hardware Monitor https://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/ the SSDs in my laptop (aircon office) are buzzing at 50C and 56C but my lappie runs hot at the best of times.

The rotating hard drives in my NAS which is not in an A/C space do get pretty warm when working hard, over 50C even with the case fans at full speed. Adding a desk fan to the equation moves them into the "acceptable" range. In reality they spend the vast majority of their time spun down and cool.

• Thanks 1

My PC is getting old. when I built it I used a Midi tower case, it would get hot and often would stop in the heat, about 4 or so years ago bought a full case 'AZZA' with 11 fans and swapped, never a problem since...

So guess cooler is better, also never use air con. 

If I ever get around to building another will try to understand Liquid cooling..... at the moment my self build over 10 years ago is still fast and fine. 

Appears the same with the Android box [fanless], after watching for a hour it starts missing or hanging, an Android usb base fan helps. maybe need something more powerful ?

• Like 1

My internal hard drives remain at a nice 40° and 39°, thanks to internal liquid coolers,  but I have several external ones that need some extra help from a floor fan. The room my computer is in has East-facing windows so heats up in the mornings. I generally don't use the A/C in the morning so the room does get pretty damn warm. Right now, the external drives are reporting 44°, 46°, and 45°, all three sitting in front of a fan. Room temp is 33° but I'm comfortable at that with just a small fan.

I use a program called 'Hard Disk Sentinel' which gives me a very comprehensive look at each drive. When the temps hit 45°, I get a 'color change' in the screen warning.

I was contemplating getting a could of large aluminum heat sinks to attach to them, that that gets messy with all the paste that needs to be used to make them effective.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

My Samsung 1TB external SSD-USB-drive (driving most applications) is at 37,5°C. Room temperature (no AC, no fan - but doors & windows open on all 4 sides of living room) actually at 32,8°C - but will rise to 34 around noon.

Laptop Asus CPU Temp. 60°C, internal 500GB SSD 50° (according to SPECCY-App)
No problem at all! 

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

The reason I don't have A/c is because I don't like them,

but you could not help having a cheap shot at me,as you do.

thanks for your helpful reply.

regards Worgeordie

Likewise, I have a big unit in the living room + in the master bedroom. only ever used if have Thai visitors,  I don't like them, I came here 17 years ago for the heat, and is no different today as it was then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Yep sure, it´s up to ones own. You don´t like it. Okey! However, it´s not a cheap shot at all. I am 100 % sure that a lot of foreigners living in Thailand would think it´s strange or even impossible to live without AC.

After that I guess you just have to buy a fan more. That was for helping to cool down the computer, right? As you said you used one fan already, what´s wrong with that? Must be perfect as you do not like AC. Seems like it will need more cooling power.

Edited by Matzzon

My Samsung 860 EVO 1TB runs pretty much steady at 40C. The spinners run about the same, maybe a few degrees hotter.

The hottest is Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe, which is my system drive, running at around 64C. I bought a heat sink for it, but it will require some rig surgery to get to it.

I have a pretty well ventilated Lian-Li case and all the fans normally run quiet, between 30%-50%. Of course, when all the cores run at 100% for extended time doing encoding, or the GTX1080Ti goes into overdrive, everything goes ape<deleted> and it's getting hot and noisy. My biggest worry is the nVMe drive, as it is mounted just below the GTX. Have not checked the temp of it during heavy gaming, maybe I should. Thanks to the water cooling, even during very heavy workload, the CPU never goes above 70C, and it is 25% overclocked.

I run A/C and the room temperature is around 25-26 degrees.

My PC is in my storage room, while i sit in my office room using it, so aircon isn't even an option for the PC, though the SSD usually runs low forties C.

Before i had SSD the hard disks also didn't overheat.

Everything is about a decent case and cooling system

On 5/13/2020 at 10:13 PM, Crossy said:

This site https://harddrivegeek.com/ssd-temperature/ says most SSDs are good up to 70C but with the rider that the life of the memory may be reduced at high temperatures.

Using the suggested Open Hardware Monitor https://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/ the SSDs in my laptop (aircon office) are buzzing at 50C and 56C but my lappie runs hot at the best of times.

The rotating hard drives in my NAS which is not in an A/C space do get pretty warm when working hard, over 50C even with the case fans at full speed. Adding a desk fan to the equation moves them into the "acceptable" range. In reality they spend the vast majority of their time spun down and cool.

Is your laptop trying to update to win10?  We just had a laptop come in for some issues and AV expired and was trying to d/l and run win10 on a 4GB machine.  Once the s/w issues were corrected, the cpu ran a lot cooler.  49C vs 35C

On 5/14/2020 at 9:47 AM, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

"The reason I don't have A/c is because I don't like them."

How can someone not like an A/C? Do you feel the same about microwaves? 

6 hours ago, rakman said:

Is your laptop trying to update to win10?  We just had a laptop come in for some issues and AV expired and was trying to d/l and run win10 on a 4GB machine.  Once the s/w issues were corrected, the cpu ran a lot cooler.  49C vs 35C

Nah, it's always been a ruddy heater, not a young beastie, must be 7 years + old now but it always had a hot exhaust.

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"The reason I don't have A/c is because I don't like them."

How can someone not like an A/C? Do you feel the same about microwaves? 

There are some other things I don',t like too, cheese,Alcohol,Papaya,

mushrooms,and trolls,been from the UK, A/cs were not something

people had,unlike say the USA were nearly everyone is brought up 

with A/c.

What better reason for not having something,is because you don't like it.

In my own home I don't have any A/c ,just fans,floor,wall and ceiling,but

i also own 19 A/c,which I have to have for my tenants.

regards worgeordie