Coronavirus may never go away, World Health Organization warns

Coronavirus may never go away, World Health Organization warns

The coronavirus "may never go away", the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned.

Speaking at a briefing on Wednesday, WHO emergencies director Dr Mike Ryan warned against trying to predict when the virus would disappear.

He added that even if a vaccine is found, controlling the virus will require a "massive effort".

Almost 300,000 people worldwide are reported to have died with coronavirus, and more than 4.3m cases recorded...

Continued...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52643682?xtor=AL-72-[partner]-[bbc.news.twitter]-[headline]-[news]-[bizdev]-[isapi]&at_medium=custom7&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld&at_campaign=64&at_custom4=D70A425A-9564-11EA-B004-E4B24744363C

Edited by DirtyHarry55

I don't disagree that this is a pandemic, possibly on the scale of the Hong Kong Flu, probably more than H1N1, but I do disagree with the unrealistic lockdown approach.  I hope this is the beginning of the WHO beginning to walk back the hysteria, unfortunately they are the only ones YouTube will allow to do so.  

There is a real serious loss of face issue to overcome.  How do you switch from what we have now to admitting that the lockdown is a flawed approach?  Remember this is the first time we've tried this on a global scale.  

For example how do you convince a country like South Korea to change their approach?  There will be some serious dissonance as the West resigns themselves to the herd immunity approach and Asia continues the containment approach.  How do you let everyone save face?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tlock said:

I don't disagree that this is a pandemic, possibly on the scale of the Hong Kong Flu, probably more than H1N1, but I do disagree with the unrealistic lockdown approach.  I hope this is the beginning of the WHO beginning to walk back the hysteria, unfortunately they are the only ones YouTube will allow to do so.  

There is a real serious loss of face issue to overcome.  How do you switch from what we have now to admitting that the lockdown is a flawed approach?  Remember this is the first time we've tried this on a global scale.  

For example how do you convince a country like South Korea to change their approach?  There will be some serious dissonance as the West resigns themselves to the herd immunity approach and Asia continues the containment approach.  How do you let everyone save face?  

The Lock-down method was never going to work in the West we saw it worked in China and so followed.

Alas in a democracy you can't just lock people up in their homes like the Chinese did.
But what we can do is slow it down with sensible measures such as social distancing and wearing face-masks in close proximity to other people etc.
Life probably won't be quite the same for a few years to come but the economy can go on.

• Like 2