Employment Termination due to Covid-19

Hello I'm new user here.

My company is reducing the number of employees because of Covid-19 situations and I'm included in one of them. This is my last month (May).

I would like to know what to do with my work permit since I'm thinking about going back to my country within next month (June). My work permit and visa will expire in October.

Do I cancel it? If so, how can I process that? Or should I just let it expire?

And another thing is about the support from Social Security Office. I've been told that I will receive the support for 3 months.

Do I need to remain in Thailand all 3 months to receive it? If I go back in June, will I even receive anything? Or do they grant it all in once? 

Thanks.

Your work permit and extension of stay will both end when you job ends.

After your job ends you could stay in the country until July 31st under the amnesty.

Not sure about your social security situation.

Not sure at this time whether you will be able find flights out of the country in June.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

After your job ends you could stay in the country until July 31st under the amnesty.

Not sure about your social security situation.

Not sure at this time whether you will be able find flights out of the country in June.

Hi I'm a big fan of you. Thank you.
Does my company need to inform somewhere that my employment has ended? Because I'm not sure if they know what to do. 
My country has been flying relief flights. I'm looking forward to it.
Or possibly the airport immigration will cancel everything I have once I fly out with the relief flight? 
Thanks again!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmIG said:

Does my company need to inform somewhere that my employment has ended? Because I'm not sure if they know what to do.

Your work permit and extension of stay should be canceled if there is any chance you may want to work here again.

Your employer should know about needing to cancel the work permit. You extension would end on the day your leave the country.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Hi, after the termination of employment how long does one have to leave the country?

I'm just wondering about the options available if that were to happen.

I suppose one could find another job or apply for an ed visa without having to leave the country.

8 minutes ago, helicondelta said:

Hi, after the termination of employment how long does one have to leave the country?

The same day the extension is canceled unless you applied for an extension, paid 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country.

But now it would be until July 31st.

11 minutes ago, helicondelta said:

I'm just wondering about the options available if that were to happen.

I suppose one could find another job or apply for an ed visa without having to leave the country.

You would have to find a new job before your extension is canceled.

You could not apply for non-ed visa in the country. If attending a formal school you might be able to change the reason for your extension to one for attending a school from working.

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The same day the extension is canceled

Thanks for the reply.

So if my last day at the company was May 31st, when would the extension be canceled?

If I enrolled in a formal school immediately I suppose this could give me time to find another job.

3 minutes ago, helicondelta said:

So if my last day at the company was May 31st, when would the extension be canceled?

That day if you go to immigration with a termination letter to cancel it.

3 minutes ago, helicondelta said:

If I enrolled in a formal school immediately I suppose this could give me time to find another job.

You have to have supporting documents from the school to apply for the new extension when your current extension is canceled.

If you found a job you probably have to leave the country to get a visa since you would not be able to change back to an extension based upon working.

Hum, Ubonjoe, I hate to get into your area of expertise and they've probably changed things since I worked here, but...  When I left three different companies in 1998, 2000 and 2007, my permit to stay (PTS) stamp and everything to do with my Non-B was valid until that date on the PTS. (Yes, the visa itself was cancelled when I left, I think; although, I do remember one time the IO at the airport wanted to use my Non-B on the TM-6 when entering the country at Suvarnabhumi because the dates on it were still valid and I had to tell him I no longer worked in Thailand)

The permits to work had expiration dates. I didn't do anything with any with them except let them expire. Mind you, I only left one company to work at the next between '98-'99.  The companies both had personnel to handle all that business, so I can't comment there.  I don't think a person needs to be concerned about 'cancelling' the permit to work unless they are planning to go to work for someone else, no?

Again, your area of expertise, I just had to throw my 2 cents in. ????  I hope it doesn't confuse any of these newbies.

11 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I don't think a person needs to be concerned about 'cancelling' the permit to work unless they are planning to go to work for someone else, no?

Things have changed a lot in recent years.

Many immigration offices will not issue a new extension of stay based upon working if the previous one had not been formally canceled. They started tightening up on them since so many people were just walking away from their jobs without notifying their employer.

The same thing  has occured when a work permit was not formally canceled. Some have had to pay substantial fine for it not being canceled.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 4:14 PM, ubonjoe said:

That day if you go to immigration with a termination letter to cancel it.

Yes, this is precisely my question. Am I required to leave the country on my last working day?

I'm just wondering how much time I can stay in the country after I stop working.

If my goal is to find a new job, what course of action would you recommend?

On 5/15/2020 at 9:08 AM, AgMech Cowboy said:

I only left one company to work at the next between '98-'99.  The companies both had personnel to handle all that business

Hi, that's the situation that I'm wondering about. How long were you able to stay in the country between jobs? Or did you need to have the next job lined up before you quit the first one? Thanks in advance!

49 minutes ago, helicondelta said:

I'm just wondering how much time I can stay in the country after I stop working.

At this time you could stay in the country until July 31st under the amnesty.

6 minutes ago, helicondelta said:

Thanks. And if I quit my job after the amnesty?

Seven days if you apply for an extension, pay 1900 baht and get 7 days to leave the country after it is denied.

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Seven days if you apply for an extension, pay 1900 baht and get 7 days to leave the country after it is denied.

Ok, thanks. So if I want to find another job I might need to leave the country and come back on a tourist visa.

And when I find the new job I'll have to leave again and apply for the work visa. Nice.