Chula virologist shows how Thais can avoid a second-wave outbreak

webfact

On 5/14/2020 at 8:31 AM, webfact said:

“If people have to go outdoors, they must wear face masks, maintain distance from others and avoid going to crowded places. The windows of hair salons, restaurants, workplaces and houses should be opened for ventilation.”

If you maintain distance from others, you don't need a face mask. 

Ventilation:  Someone should tell the idiot management at my condo who insists on closing all the windows in the condo hallways at even the hint of rain.  No amount of common-sense prevails.  You can mention virus all you want, but the idiot manager will respond about how water might get inside.  I always respond that virus should be let outside and mixed with fresh air, much like the huge wind tunnel in her head.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ketyo said:

"But he warned that a second wave of the outbreak had hit many other countries". Not really.

I suppose this dude always support his opinions with incorrect facts because he believes Thai's don't watch news. 

The kind of second waves in Singapore, Korea and Japan were really local outbreaks that were contained, not real second waves. And in each case they were managed by test, trace and isolate. They were expected to happen.

And will happen in most countries and in Thailand. And will probably happen 2,3,4,5... times. There will be outbreaks. It's inevitable.

These outbreaks should be managed by test, trace and isolate. Not by national lockdown.

But we don't know whether the Prime Minister is intelligent or authoritarian.

Once you have contained the spread then you can continue to test and trace to stop numbers going up again. Where would you start with testing and tracing and isolating in UK at this point? You wouldn't know where to start.

Everywhere I read the total number of cases in Thailand is about 3,000 - most of which are no longer contagious.  In a country of over 60 Million people this is basically zero You would have basically NO CHANCE of catching the virus in Thailand, even when taking no precautions.  Or, am I misinterpreting something?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, burlap said:

Everywhere I read the total number of cases in Thailand is about 3,000 - most of which are no longer contagious.  In a country of over 60 Million people this is basically zero You would have basically NO CHANCE of catching the virus in Thailand, even when taking no precautions.  Or, am I misinterpreting something?

You are right. But if everybody thinks like you exponential growth will start

(think NYC).

Please google "exponential growth".

Most people don't want to stay in places where corpses are in the street  (Wuhan, NYC - they put them in refrigerated trucks - , Guayaquil, Manaus), and where hospitals send away desperate people looking for help by the thousands. 

If you are taking no precautions you are the reason for this happening. So please stay in a country far, far away from me.

Edited by uhuh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, uhuh said:

You are right. But if everybody thinks like you exponential growth will start

(think NYC).

Please google "exponential growth".

Most people don't want to stay in places where corpses are in the street  (Wuhan, NYC - they put them in refrigerated trucks - , Guayaquil, Manaus), and where hospitals send away desperate people looking for help by the thousands. 

If you are taking no precautions you are the reason for this happening. So please stay in a country far, far away from me.

I am an old man with health issues and fear of death - you better believe I take precautions.  I was more interested in the accuracy of these numbers.  Because most of the known cases are old - they are no longer contagious - probably no more than 50 contagious people in the entire country, and most of these people are already quarantined.

What did Thailand do that was sooooo much better than the rest of the world?

9 minutes ago, burlap said:

I have a feeling that most of the vulnerable people who are dying of this virus around the world are simply not alive in Thailand, they're already dead.

• Like 2

This guy's thrashing it a bit isn't he?

Trying to make a name for himself is he? desperately searching for his very own 15 minutes of fame.

Excellent, should be more of it. Here, let me put a gold star stamp on your hand...

1 hour ago, burlap said:

I am an old man with health issues and fear of death - you better believe I take precautions.  I was more interested in the accuracy of these numbers.  Because most of the known cases are old - they are no longer contagious - probably no more than 50 contagious people in the entire country, and most of these people are already quarantined.

They didn't send back the Chinese testing kits that didn't work. So they got lots and lots of false negatives that they didn't realise were false negatives because they didn't send the faulty test kits back.

Then, when people started dying and the doctors didn't know/couldn't find out why, instead of looking more closely at the COVID-19 possibility, they did what they always do, which was to guess what the cause of death was, and whatever the guess was is what went on the death certificate.

And all the phrae who lost rellies could do was burn their dead and contemplate the future.

This is how a government full of soldiers and ex-soldiers can get away with understating the death toll from COVID-19 in Thailand, while the attention of many of the world leaders was focussd on their own countries and not Thailand.

That's my theory anyway. And I will quietly while away my time until the magical day when the truth dawns and is no longer deniable. If it ever comes… And it will turn out they were not on their own.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Has anyone on this forum ever heard the expression "thinking outside the box?" "Waves" doesn't apply here, think of Baby Covid thrashing around in its bath basin. It's not going anywhere. Waves, peaks, curves and vaccines are just theories designed by incompetent, ill-prepared governments to tame their masses. It cracked me up to see Fauci and the head clown at CDC theorizing about at the zoom-in congress hearing. Empty promises/prognosis based on empty premise: "(if/when) We're gonna to find vaccine in a couple of years..." Hah. Has any vaccine ever been found for any of the corona virus family? such as HIV, Sars(1)? Nope. 

On a more personal (-american) note, people have begun suggesting Fauci & Co should resign, instead of "playing pinatas" to the Trump "republique." I had suggested this at the start, out of respect for the man (which I no longer have.)

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, watthong said:

Has any vaccine ever been found for any of the corona virus family? such as HIV, Sars(1)? Nope. 

HIV isn't a coronavirus it's something else so not relevant.

Work started on a SARS virus vaccine but SARS disappeared, it literally went extinct.

How and / or why would you continue to work on a vaccine for a virus that no longer exists outside a lab?

Also vaccines need testing, a way to see how well they work is to monitor how many people become infected inside a group of test subjects over time, when the disease no longer exists this is not possible because you already know that zero people will become infected. This is why there is no SARS vaccine, because there is no SARS virus.

Thinking about COVID - if this virus doesn't manage to continue spreading continuously for another year or two then there will also never be a properly tested COVID vaccine for the same reasons there's no SARS vaccine.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 6:55 PM, rkidlad said:

Also, be sure to practice social distancing on the platforms before you enter the crowded BTS trains.

Its pretty funny that the homeless here in Las Vegas who are out in the Sun all day seem to be looking much healthier [ I know they are homeless ] people downtown have been jogging, biking, skateboarding since it closed down and I haven't heard of any of them getting sick and I belong to quite of few groups and walk to downtown twice a day about a mile away, once in the morning and once at night.

The Sun seems to also be healing the Planet.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 4:50 PM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Can this guy just shut up? He's been spouting his 15 minutes of fame for way too long now, and nothing he says is meaningful.

is anything ANY of them say except to promote themselves.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:35 PM, JeffyInBkk said:

Wow in Thailand, a pediatric doctor specializing in hepatology can become a virologist...amazing!

That Khaosan road  has a lot  to  answer  for.

5 hours ago, burlap said:

How about wearing masks and taking temperatures? I was at a shopping mall today and saw everyone wearing masks inside.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2