Lower Priced AIS Fibre Power4 Plans Just Released

Pib

5 hours ago, Pib said:

and if currently an AIS mobile customer with a mobile plan of Bt399 or up, the Power4Special Bt999 plan is only Bt799. 

thank you for this info. to add customers must be post paid not pre paid like me. ????  

10 hours ago, i84teen said:

Becoming interested in AIS now. Do you know if they support bridge mode setup?

Yes...my AIS provided router is set to bridge mode...just acting as a signal converter...and then feeds my ASUS router which is in control of my home network.

1 hour ago, i84teen said:

what AIS router/PON and package do you have? Can u post a photo of it? Thank you. If I remember correctly you also use Asus AC86U with merlin?

The AIS provided router was the Hauwei HG8245H.....I think it was around 2016 when signing onto AIS Fibre and getting that router.  It can handle 1Gb plans ethernet wise/bridge wise, but it only had 2.4Ghz Wifi.    I use to use an ASUS AC86U but not with merlin installed...just used the standard Asus firmware which gets updates frequently.  Around Dec 2019 I retired my AC86 when upgrading to Wifi6....I now use an Asus AX88U as the main router and an Asus AX92U an access point.

Edited by Pib

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

The AIS provided router was the Hauwei HG8245H.....I think it was around 2016 when signing onto AIS Fibre and getting that router.  It can handle 1Gb plans ethernet wise/bridge wise, but it only had 2.4Ghz Wifi.    I use to use an ASUS AC86U but not with merlin installed...just used the standard Asus firmware which gets updates frequently.  Around Dec 2019 I retired my AC86 when upgrading to Wifi6....I now use an Asus AX88U as the main router and an Asus AX92U an access point.

Ok, thanks.

When TRUE upgraded my PON recently, their new device DID NOT support bridge mode for whatever reasons so I told them to remove and keep the old device connected. Need to confirm from AIS if their setup supports and allows bridge mode.

5 minutes ago, rbkk said:

FYI. I note they have reduced the 4G allowance on the top package from 15GB down to 10GB.

Yea...I noticed that.  The did the same thing when the reduced the price a year or so ago....went from 20GB I think it was to 15GB....now it to 10GB.  But 10GB is still more than enough for the tablet I use it in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, i84teen said:

Ok, thanks.

When TRUE upgraded my PON recently, their new device DID NOT support bridge mode for whatever reasons so I told them to remove and keep the old device connected. Need to confirm from AIS if their setup supports and allows bridge mode.

Unless things have changed the AIS firmwire on AIS-provided routers does not allow the user to switch to bridge mode; AIS does that remotely....just takes them a few minutes.  That's how they did it with the HG8245H.

8 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

This TV, its just like an android box kind of thing for streaming only? Do they have channels? 

Yeap....see their AIS Play website.   To see a list of channels review the "All Channels" selection which is their standard TV package....then if adding on the Premium channels review the "Premium Channels" selection. 

https://aisplay.ais.co.th/portal/

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yeap....see their AIS Play website.   To see a list of channels review the "All Channels" selection which is their standard TV package....then if adding on the Premium channels review the "Premium Channels" selection. 

Ive got True's top 1G/Platinum package and been kicking around the idea of switching again. 

You think there's any real difference between, or gain to be had, from switching to AIS's 1000Mbps speed connection? I stream through a Nvidia Shield box and VPN to the USA, and have a home network setup with Asus "AI Mesh" system using Asus routers. 

1 minute ago, Mama Noodle said:

Ive got True's top 1G/Platinum package and been kicking around the idea of switching again. 

You think there's any real difference between, or gain to be had, from switching to AIS's 1000Mbps speed connection? I stream through a Nvidia Shield box and VPN to the USA, and have a home network setup with Asus "AI Mesh" system using Asus routers. 

Speedwise, no.  Money saved per month, yes.    

I used to be with True and had their Platinum TV package up until mid 2016 I think it was.  I was a captive audience to True because only True and TOT serviced my western Bangkok moobaan.  TOT only offered DSL and True had the high speed DOCSIS (cable) system that handled both internet and TV.    At that time I was paying a little over Bt2000 per month for the True Platinum TV package by itself (had 4 settop boxes, 2 of which didn't incur any extra charge per month).   The internet package was a separate charge.

Then AIS Fibre came to my moobaan....I immediately switched to their internet and TV package....cut my bill in half with a high internet speed and equally good TV package.   AIS even had the HBO channels up until recently but now don't...3BB has that HBO contract.  Originally True had the HBO contract before losing it to AIS.  Seems the HBO channels is just something hard to Thai ISPs to make a profit off of....I expect that because of the Thai population knowing little English and  now days being able to get content through NetFlix, separate HBO package, Hulu, etc. 

Even now with True if say having their 1000/200 plan with their Enjoy HD TV plan (basic Thai TV channels) the cost is B1,299 per month before taxes/fees....go with their 1000/200 plan with Platinum TV and the price jumps up to Bt2,399...which basically means the Platinum TV package is costing a person Bt1,100 per month.  If a person goes with the AISPlay Premium Plus TV package which is basically equal to the True Platinum TV package the cost is Bt299. 

I pity folks who are captive audience to True and end up playing such a high price for their top TV package.  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

If a person goes with the AISPlay Premium Plus TV package which is basically equal to the True Platinum TV package the cost is Bt299. 

I pity folks who are captive audience to True and end up playing such a high price for their top TV package.  

The entire platinum package and 95% of what I watch are documentary channels like History and Discovery. History isn't on AIS that I can see but thats the only difference that I can tell. 

True called us the other day and asked about extending our service as we are nearing the end of our contract. My wife also has a True SIM included in the package price as well. 

37 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

The entire platinum package and 95% of what I watch are documentary channels like History and Discovery. History isn't on AIS that I can see but thats the only difference that I can tell. 

True called us the other day and asked about extending our service as we are nearing the end of our contract. My wife also has a True SIM included in the package price as well. 

True has an aggressive walk-around-the-neighborhood and call sales campaign underway right now.  They called us a week ago since they still had our phone number when we use to be a customer around 5 years ago...and they were walking around the mother-in-law's moobaan out in the province two weeks ago.  

You know you can watch the Discovery and History channels live....plus, many other US channels for free at sites like below.  No registration required, free.   You may need a VPN US IP address connection.  All perfectly legal, widely used.  

https://ustvgo.tv/discovery-channel-live/

https://ustvgo.tv/discovery-channel-live/

http://123tvnow.com/watch/discovery-channel/

http://123tvnow.com/watch/history-channel/

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

True has an aggressive walk-around-the-neighborhood and call sales campaign underway right now.  They called us a week ago since they still had our phone number when we use to be a customer around 5 years ago...and they were walking around the mother-in-law's moobaan out in the province two weeks ago.  

Unbeknownst to be, the wife decided to extend our contract when they called because they are giving away a free "Google Nest Mini" along with a new TV Box so she's now on the phone trying to reverse that at least for the time being until I can see if AIS is even available here.

One thing about the AIS Power4 plans they are good if you want/need internet, TV, SIM, and Wifi all in one combo package. 

But if you say wanted an internet-only plan.....or maybe internet and TV only plan....because you just don't care about using an AIS Wifi point somewhere or have a need for another SIM maybe to run a tablet you use outside your home, then combo plans can actually end up costing you more. 

And combo plans can also be really "hooks" that snag you....end up providing more than what you really need and many people will just snick with a certain plan for years and years when it may be time for them to switch to a different plan....maybe a plan that provides less because your requirements/needs/desires have changed over last year or two.

Right now I'm seriously thinking about dropping the Power4 plan I had for years since I don't really use the SIM anymore because the tablet rarely gets used outside my home now....and I never used the Wifi portion of the plan since 4G provides fast connectivity pretty much everywhere. 

What I really just want/need right now is "internet and TV" with the TV being more of a nice-to-have for easy family use....heck, we also have C/KU band TV in our home.  Add in all the movie/TV streaming capability a person has now days and ISP TV packages have become more of a "nice-to-have, make it really easy" to watch TV from your lazy boy chair by young and old alike....no computer knowledge needed....just press the remove buttons.

What I'm thinking about switching to is the AIS Sernade Package which provided internet and TV, with the first year including free AIS Play Premium Plus.  I'm going to talk to AIS about that next week.

https://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_serenade.html

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

I have the same package with True, and the included SIM with 20GB free data per month is great for me. have my AIS number as my main phone/message etc and just use the True SIM for internet. So personally I feel the TRUE package is ok.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:15 AM, NCC1701A said:

thank you for this info. to add customers must be post paid not pre paid like me. ????  

I don't know whether to give you a laughing emoji or a sad one on your post.  ????????????????

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

AIS is a good company however they will still not give you fibre internet service in an apartment/condo building unless they wire the entire building.  I have offered to pay for wiring into my apartment but the answer was no!  Same as back in the US 35-40 years ago, only if they got the whole building wired would you be able to get cable service.

Edited by snooky
Spell check

I just upgraded from 500/500 (699 baht) to 1,000/500 (899 baht). These are Serenade packages/pricing.

The new router is a welcome addition. With 5 GHz now seeing ~ 500-ish Mbps on Wifi, and on ethernet...

ais_15_1_051620.jpg

On 5/15/2020 at 12:52 AM, i84teen said:

Becoming interested in AIS now. Do you know if they support bridge mode setup?

You can use your own router with AIS and (OPNSense) connect to their Fiber Device/PON in bridge mode.

But It requires additional technical skill that is not straight forward, and sometimes frustrating.

You can refer to this guide I used:
https://medium.com/nexthopthai/ใช้เน็ต-ais-fibre-กับ-mikrotik-ipv6-e0e6a5de9fef

1) You call in and say you are going bridge mode.

They confirm you are serious and know what your doing ????

2) VLAN is 10 as you see on that guide.  If you dont know VLAN's, this will be above your paygrade.

I was able to get PlayBox (Android TV Box) working without a VLAN, by just manually routing it over the AIS connection.

3) Your PPPoE username/password is: Acct # / Acct #

You can also able to get IPv6 working too. (Track Interface)

Good luck.

Re: Bridge Mode, I think most new AIS Fibre installations will get the new Huawei HG8245W5-AIS. This model supports "Mode Switching" from the main UI. Upper right-hand corner. I think this allows you to toggle from the default routing mode to bridge mode. 

I am running it in the default router mode with a secondary router on a wired ethernet connection.