TOT - been assigned a blacklisted IP - any advice on getting it changed?

CanuckT

Hi, we seem to have been assigned an IP address that was formerly a mail server IP and is blacklisted.  As a result a massive amount of sites visited require captcha to view, especially if they use CloudFlare.  

Has anyone been successful in getting TOT to change their IP?  Any advice?

FYI nearly all dynamically assigned IPs in Thailand are blacklisted on the various mail delivery blacklists. The reasons are many, but the main reason is Thais are complete dip$!ts with computer security. Their computers, invariably unpatched unlicensed Windows, are riddled with malware and completely zombified, sending out spam etc etc. You get a new IP every day, or thereabouts, you get an IP that was issued previously to a zombie. Thais also just use their phone number as a password. You might as well just use 12345 as a password. More malware comes from the Thai IP space than anywhere else in the world.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

. . . to add to the above, a commercial VPN is not really the answer, because the IP you get is shared, and also 'dirty'. Google captchas also know that these are datacentre IP space, so will challenge you as a result more often than not. The way we deal with it is to route all our mail through our Singapore IP space, where we have clean IPs that are carefully maintained for cleanliness. We have no deliverability issues as a result.

Edited by NilSS

7 hours ago, NilSS said:

FYI nearly all dynamically assigned IPs in Thailand are blacklisted on the various mail delivery blacklists.

I can confirm this.

It's also a problem about sending mail. Some mail receiving servers check the IP address of the sender (and not just the IP address of the SMTP). And mail is rejected because of blacklisted IPs.

TiT

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I can confirm this.

It's also a problem about sending mail. Some mail receiving servers check the IP address of the sender (and not just the IP address of the SMTP). And mail is rejected because of blacklisted IPs.

TiT

Maybe you need to deep 6 whatever email service you are using and upgrade to a more secure service.

I have never had a blacklisting or other issues preventing or rejecting emails from Thailand whether connected to 3BB, ToT, TRUE, 4G/LTE data etc.

ToT ip addresses regularly end up on blacklists like "spamhaus" which my email provider (BT internet) use to block access to their servers..fortunately for me I set up a forwarding option (before they removed that oprion) so can retrieve mail via Gmail instead and as well when my IP is not blocked by BT

A UK VPN works too.

1 hour ago, i84teen said:

Maybe you need to deep 6 whatever email service you are using and upgrade to a more secure service.

I have never had a blacklisting or other issues preventing or rejecting emails from Thailand whether connected to 3BB, ToT, TRUE, 4G/LTE data etc.

We changed the system already to Microsoft 365, now we don't have problems anymore.

Previously not many receivers rejected the emails, but some. It seems some companies had very sensitive settings on their email servers. And there was little we could do about it. Except asking them to change the rules for us or changing the email system. We change the email system… 

2 hours ago, i84teen said:

I think it depends on how/where the outgoing email is being transported. If you're hosting your own smtp then I'd expect issues.

If you're sending email through 'client' email application software that utilizes an offsite (non-thailand) smtp then I wouldn't expect you to encounter any 'Thailand IP blocked' issues.

But as someone already mentioned, if the sent email contains headers indicating message origination within Thailand that may be enough to trigger the destination filter/quarantine.  

We host our own mailserver, we tried getting ToT to set up a PTR record for the static IP block they give us but it was an exercise in futility. The solution as I said above was to route our outbound mail via our rack in Singapore, where we have control over PTR records. . .

I check our mail delivery against this service every week, just to keep an eye on things. If our score is anything less than 10/10 it becomes a priority issue. . .

https://www.mail-tester.com/

There are other ways of checking of course but this is the most convenient for most people.

Edited by NilSS

7 minutes ago, NilSS said:

We host our own mailserver, we tried getting ToT to set up a PTR record for the static IP block they give us but it was an exercise in futility. The solution as I said above was to route our outbound mail via our rack in Singapore, where we have control over PTR records. . .

I check our mail delivery against this service every week, just to keep an eye on things. If our score is anything less than 10/10 it becomes a priority issue. . .

https://www.mail-tester.com/

There are other ways of checking of course but this is the most convenient for most people.

and the snooth and grabling bit conduced to the swaggle knob on the trippley extremity .

I admire you chaps who understand this sxxt, I have no idea what language you are writing in. My loss of course , but I hope whatever you need fixing gets fixed.  

Are you talking about your internal or external IP address? If it starts with 192 or 10, it would be your internal. Millions of people have the same internal IP address.  If you have access to your router you can easily change what your assigned internal address is.

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

Are you talking about your internal or external IP address? If it starts with 192 or 10, it would be your internal. Millions of people have the same internal IP address.  If you have access to your router you can easily change what your assigned internal address is.

An internal IP address like 192.168.1.1 can't be blacklisted. It's not public. And changing it to another internal IP address won't make any difference. 

• Like 1

Just to be an annoying pedant, internal/private IPs are blacklisted by default in that they are not supposed to be routeable on the open internet, as you allude to. So, you are correct in that they are not blacklisted as bad IPs, but they are in effect blacklisted anyways.

Edited by NilSS