Sweden - is the rest of the world dumb, blind or worse ?

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not sure why you keep quoting the figure of deaths as a percentage of the population for Sweden as if it somehow makes them look good. It doesn't - every country's death rate looks like a small number if you choose to express it in that format.  If you look at their neighbours (with similar demographics) Norway's is ten times less, at 0.004% and Denmark's around 4 times less, at 0.01%. The fact is that their death rate as a percentage of total population is the 6th highest in the world. This means they have suffered more deaths per capita than all but 5 other countries in the entire world.

If you want see how they're doing right now, as compared to other nations, their current 7-day rolling average of deaths per million is the highest in the world and has been for over a week. They are followed by Brazil, a country that has no official lockdown.

Screenshot_20200529-173558.png

Logo thinks we are all daft....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Agree ..... but some people have been infected with COWARDICE-19 and want everyone else to cower at home posting their favourite albums on Facebook.

Well i dont want u near me.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not sure why you keep quoting the figure of deaths as a percentage of the population for Sweden as if it somehow makes them look good. It doesn't - every country's death rate looks like a small number if you choose to express it in that format.  If you look at their neighbours (with similar demographics) Norway's is ten times less, at 0.004% and Denmark's around 4 times less, at 0.01%. The fact is that their death rate as a percentage of total population is the 6th highest in the world. This means they have suffered more deaths per capita than all but 5 other countries in the entire world.

If you want see how they're doing right now, as compared to other nations, their current 7-day rolling average of deaths per million is the highest in the world and has been for over a week. They are followed by Brazil, a country that has no official lockdown.

Screenshot_20200529-173558.png

I don't think anyone is saying Sweden is doing everything right.

They don't use masks, their social distancing is weak and I've not seen a strong public education campaign like in Vietnam.  But the point is that with no lockdown and limited measures, their rates are not signficanrly different.

And there are so many other important variables so any small differences in the figures you quote may not be significant.

Standard of health care, demographics, general health of the population, implementation of measures in care homes are all key factors.

It's probable that with Sweden's more relaxed approach to immigration, they have a less healthy population and a greater burden on health services than their neighbours. 

But look closer to home - Thailand had packed public transport and malls with the first phase of the relaxation - and one week later, no spike.

Even if the limited testing and reporting is a factor, the hospitals are certainly not overflowing.

The simple truth is that old, sick, fat people die in higher numbers every time there's an epidemic ..... seasonal flu or something new, but we only report the figures on every news channel, every minute when it's something new.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I am not sure what the problem is. You an I have different opinions. So, what you need to do is follow your own beliefs and sit in your cave for however long you see fit. Further, you don't need to be telling anyone else what to do... whatever you would like to tell others to do, just do that yourself. That is how it works. When you are deathly afraid, you do not get to superimpose your fear onto others. You have to deal with it yourself. If you think what I am doing has some impact on you, you need to sit in your cave even more hardcore... it is your problem to deal with. This is not selfishness, or anything like that, it is just the way one person with one opinion will behave, and the other one will behave the way he sees fit. Neither one is better or worse. 

how about you just follow the scientific evidence. If thats not enough just follow the law.

Stay away from people that dont want to die because of you.

Under no circumstances should you follow any beliefs.

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

They don't use masks, their social distancing is weak and I've not seen a strong public education campaign like in Vietnam.  But the point is that with no lockdown and limited measures, their rates are not signficanrly different.

Social distancing is the one thing that works very well to stop the spread of the virus. Lockdowns are simply a way to enforce social distancing; and perhaps also a better way to teach people about the importance of social distancing. Maybe that is why we have not seen the virus spread too much when some countries began to open up.

I simply do not understand what you man by "not signficanrly different". How much difference do you need before you will call it significant? They have death numbers more than four times higher than Denmark and even more compared to Norway and Finland.

But look closer to home - Thailand had packed public transport and malls with the first phase of the relaxation - and one week later, no spike.

First, there may be other factors in play in Thailand (like temperature and humidity); second, you will not be able to see an effect until after two or three weeks.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Social distancing is the one thing that works very well to stop the spread of the virus. Lockdowns are simply a way to enforce social distancing; and perhaps also a better way to teach people about the importance of social distancing. Maybe that is why we have not seen the virus spread too much when some countries began to open up.

I simply do not understand what you man by "not signficanrly different". How much difference do you need before you will call it significant? They have death numbers more than four times higher than Denmark and even more compared to Norway and Finland.

First, there may be other factors in play in Thailand (like temperature and humidity); second, you will not be able to see an effect until after two or three weeks.

Incubation period is typically 3 to 5 days .... so more than enough time already.

And with the massive economic and negative health related impacts of the lockdowns, I believe we need to see clear evidence of the benefits.

Looking at US, UK, Italy and comparing with Australia, Sweden, Thailand there looks to be no evidence that lockdowns add any real value.

The main factor is population health - demographics, diet, healthcare.  Parts of the US have widespread obesity and related health issues, the same parts that have high death rates.

UK, Italy, India, Philippines also have major health issues - many related to diet.  And UK has a healthcare system that keeps sick people hanging on, so a longer life expectancy.  Many developing countries have an average life expectancy of 65 to 69 years, so not many 70 year olds about to boost the figures.

When analysing the figures there are many variables, but one thing they do not support is lockdowns, so why do we have them?   Simple ..... media induced fear.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

The simple truth is that old, sick, fat people die in higher numbers every time there's an epidemic ..... seasonal flu or something new, but we only report the figures on every news channel, every minute when it's something new.

And why might that be do you think?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chessman said:

If you had looked at that link, you would have noticed that the JP Morgan one is included as a study that suggests lockdowns are not effective.

but the numbers are not the same, there are more studies suggesting that lockdowns are effective.

So then the issue is very much in dispute, yes?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, farang51 said:

The economy is also effected with no lockdown. The governments did not just copy China, they did what they know is working; now, in 1918, and even further back through history.

The problem is the people that do not adhere to a lockdown, insisting on their right to endanger other people. An example: Back in 1711 Copenhagen was successful in keeping the plague away - until a boy from Helsingør (city of Hamlet fame) broke the lockdown and brought the plague to Copenhagen. 30 per cent of the population in Copenhagen died.

In 1711, bloodletting was medical science. Some other things have changed since then as well.

1 hour ago, farang51 said:

The economy is also effected with no lockdown. The governments did not just copy China, they did what they know is working; now, in 1918, and even further back through history.

The problem is the people that do not adhere to a lockdown, insisting on their right to endanger other people. An example: Back in 1711 Copenhagen was successful in keeping the plague away - until a boy from Helsingør (city of Hamlet fame) broke the lockdown and brought the plague to Copenhagen. 30 per cent of the population in Copenhagen died.

Copenhagen was never successful in keeping any plague away, it was repeatedly ravaged by plagues. These are just stupid scare stories to make people fall in line with a nonsensical stupid policy:

"In Copenhagen, the physician and antiquarian Ole Worm experienced six to seven major outbreaks in his lifetime, and he also distinguished plague from other epidemic diseases such as the malignant and contagious fever that ravaged Copenhagen in 1644-45. He was certainly familiar with plague, having lost first his oldest daughter in the 1618-20 outbreak, then his wife, his father and his brother-in-law in the 1629 outbreak and, finally, his second wife in the 1636-38 epidemic. Nowhere in his correspondance is there any indication, incidentally, that familiarity lessened the dread of the disease."

http://www.academia.dk/MedHist/Sygdomme/Pest/PDF/Pest-DK_Christensen_2003.pdf

Yeah, Copenhagen had the plague under control. Sure. Sure.

As for governments not copying China Neil Ferguson admitted publicly that he looked at China and took social distancing from there, figuring that China had it under control and they used it, so that was the reason he favoured it.

It's wonderful we have countries like Sweden, Japan, etc who never introduced full mandatory lockdowns, and yet still have miniscule death rates, so we can see that lockdowns are total nonsense.

The UK had lockdown Gestapo style, and still never managed to get the virus under control with lockdowns. 

Who are you kidding but yourself.

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

It can only be said so many times. There is nobody "insisting on their right to endanger other people". If you are that scared, stay at home. Cower in fear all you would like. Nobody is stopping you. You have the right to stay home and fully protect yourself, and others have the right to go out. What is there not to understand here? 

The thing to understand is that the right you and others demand is not to decide whether to put yourself in harms way, it is to put other people in harms way too. I could not care less if you decide to risk your health or life by doing stupid things. I do care if you put other people at risk.

By the way, I don't think any of us is cowering in fear.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, farang51 said:

The thing to understand is that the right you and others demand is not to decide whether to put yourself in harms way, it is to put other people in harms way too. I could not care less if you decide to risk your health or life by doing stupid things. I do care if you put other people at risk.

By the way, I don't think any of us is cowering in fear.

If Thaivisa had an auto response I could just type in "well then stay inside if you feel that way" and it would completely neutralize every one of your posts. 

Stay inside. If you are not scared, great. I am happy for you. You have the right to be safe as you want and stay inside. Nobody is endangering you... you are inside. 

Do I need an analogy so it sinks in? If you thought cars were horrendous death machines, you do not get to tell others to not drive them. You can however not drive one. and stay away from them all you would like. Nobody is stopping you. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1