What Age Can a Child Open a Bank Account in Thailand?

At what age can a child hold a bank account in Thailand?
Some say you can hold a bank account from the age of 7, while others say you can hold a bank account from the age of 15.

But isn't it too early to open a bank account from the age of 7?

2 hours ago, TAMAMA said:

Some say you can hold a bank account from the age of 7, while others say you can hold a bank account from the age of 15.

I also remember the age of 15 for a standard savings account in the sole name of the child/juvenile.

(saw it on a Bangkok Bank site)

At GSB (government savings bank, "omsin") there were always special "childrens savings books" meant to save money for education or the like with preferred conditions/interest.

But these are not normal accounts for money transfer, ATM cards etc.

I am not up-to-date and into detail so really wait for more information or ask at the bank.

• Like 2

These childrens savings seem not limited to GSB.

Just stumbled upon a site (in Thai of course) with a "kids book", 5 or 10 yr term at Bangkok Bank.

Far from a normal account.

An educated guess would be that as Thai kids can now get their Thai ID card (but-pa-sha-shon) at either age 7 or 8 (it's one of those) years old, they can also open a bank account as I am pretty sure that is all you need to open one if you are Thai. I am guessing that a parent or guardian would need to assist. As an aside, our daughter can't get her first Thai ID card until such time as she returns to LOS, as they only issue renewals, not originals, at Embassies outside of Thailand.

I was able to open a standard savings account for my sons at age of 15, at both Bangkok Bank and Krungsri. They needed to have their Thai Id cards updated from master to Mister before they could get an ATM card though.

• Like 2

Interesting question.

Would assume it would legally possible once the kid got their ID number.

I got my bank account when I was 3 days old, back in my old country.

I believe the opening was possible as under the name of my parents once after they registered me in the government system which also puts the name of children in their passport.

Within a few days to three weeks newborns got their own ID number, now it's promptly given at registration.

ID Cards/Passport were not needed until reaching the age of 12 as we were in our parents passports.

Also after that age we were able to access our bank account without the need of one of the parents.

Maybe some banks can do the same here, or done that but ended the service in the digital age.

Curious to both stories, old and new, on this here in Thailand.

I offered a bank account with a few thousands Baths on it for the 1st birthday of a Thai child a few years ago, it was at the government savings bank and it was appteciated from the whole family who all looked at the papers with smile and thought that it was a good idea. Trchnically I did it with his grandmother with whom we went to the bank.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, Kwasaki said:

Go and ask all the Thai banks, some may accommodate some may not.  

Every bank has a website. It's so easy to check the requirements. It's 15 years of age and having an ID-card at every bank I've checked online.

• Like 1