Thailand’s extended flight ban draws mixed trade reactions

webfact

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

This government is not noted for common sense,

third world country run by third world mentality.

If you want to know what a third world country looks like,

just make a trip to Cambodia or Laos.

You can't not see the huge difference !

Well you see guys there was a little matter of reports of foreigners holding parties, walking on the beach when banned, refusing to wear masks....... in short showing general disdain for the controls in place

Unfortunately on occasion you reap what others sow

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Who wants to go to a tropical country where the beaches and bars are all

closed. I will go to Vietnam this year, bye stupid Thailand.  Good Luck next year.

Geezer

Best place to be! Once they let international flights in again.

2 hours ago, Jeff Simoneaux said:

I can understand not allowing the tourist back just yet. But this ban prevents many foreigners from returning to our homes in Thailand. Many of us have been stranded abroad for over 2 months or longer. We have family, homes, cars, motorbikes and businesses that we miss and need to get home to. We're willing to get all the test, insurance and 2 week quarantine that we will pay for. 

Speak for yourself there, I cannot afford to be locked up for 2 weeks I have to work!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, JohnBZ said:

I can see why Thailand want to extend the foreign ban for another month as it wants to have a super clean image to the entire world.

But this comes at a terrible cost to the tourism industry and the entire Thai economy.

Foreign people will think twice about investing in Thailand or call it home:  who want to do that when you can not even go in when you need to?

All considered: I think risk is low.  Thailand can and should open NOW!

I am all for it. Let's open Thailand. But... The rest of the word is still closed... Many countries don't allow their citizens to go out and those who come in must quarantine for 2 weeks. So how would "opening Thailand" all by itself help anything?

5 hours ago, Ketyo said:

Just put a 14 day quarantine in place. Has the same effect on health but is better for the economy and essential travel. Total travel ban when cases are close to zero is moronic from an uneducated prime minister.

Well, this "uneducated prime minister" is doing pretty much the same as other leaders around the world are doing. New Zealand has a very low rate of infections / deaths and yet only a few days ago they have lifted the INTERNAL travel restrictions, but there is still no international travel in/out of NZ allowed. Pretty much the same in Australia and most other countries in the world. 

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

This government is not noted for common sense, third world country run by third world mentality.

Look at what I wrote above. 

3 hours ago, tomauasia said:

You can get test before flying and just self quarantine. They want to starve bar owners out. No bars get it

Do you mean that no foreigners = no bar patrons?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Thailand said:

You would hardly expect persons associated with travel companies to be in favor of the ban on inbound international flights now would you?

Thailand's amazing Covid "figures" may well have assisted all the the precautions put in place and may make it a safer place in the future by holding out on some relaxations a little longer, 30 something days in the scheme of things is not exactly a long time.

That said. many of those persons/companies associated with the golden goose travel industry may well exert sufficient pressure to see another u turn from the PTB,would not be a surprise to see flights resumed before the end of June.

no chance

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

If you want to know what a third world country looks like,

just make a trip to Cambodia or Laos.

You can't not see the huge difference !

Maybe these two countries are third world also, do they have a government which is on a permanent power trip and tells retirees to report needlessly to Immigration every 90 days?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

// and tells retirees to report needlessly to Immigration every 90 days?

Seriously? They just ask you to update a form online every 3 months,

and only if you didn't left the country during this period.

That take 2 minutes, from your home. Surely not a hassle.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

do they have a government which is on a permanent power trip //?

Who cares? What impact on us? None.

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ketyo said:

Just put a 14 day quarantine in place. Has the same effect on health but is better for the economy and essential travel. Total travel ban when cases are close to zero is moronic from an uneducated prime minister.

How is it "better" for the economy? No one in their right mind would want to spend 2 weeks in quarantine to start a business trip or holiday. A desperate local or expat returning who vows not to travel again for a long, long time, maybe.

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe these two countries are third world also, do they have a government which is on a permanent power trip and tells retirees to report needlessly to Immigration every 90 days?

YES! Cambodia does. New app now required and reporting every month (or something like that)! Also compulsory for visa extensions.

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Who wants to go to a tropical country where the beaches and bars are all

closed. I will go to Vietnam this year, bye stupid Thailand.  Good Luck next year.

Geezer

Many Thai beaches are already open, but I see your point. Bars have yet to re-open, while the most prominent beaches remain closed too. Meanwhile, in Vietnam, both bars and beaches reopened over 10 days ago!

21 minutes ago, drbeach said:

How is it "better" for the economy? No one in their right mind would want to spend 2 weeks in quarantine to start a business trip or holiday. A desperate local or expat returning who vows not to travel again for a long, long time, maybe.

That is it in a nutshell. Who wants to spend two weeks quarantined on holidays. That all needs to be sorted out first and the Government is going to have to work out a way round all of this. I must think they are tabling different ideas at this time and need to come up with something. At this stage, local expats that want to come back would more then likely be those that will come to Thailand first. The rest of the world as we know it is suffering from Covid-19 shock and is going to take some time for the economy to kick back in. All my friends back in Australia are not working now and they have no funds for travel.

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

What about the International mail system thats ground to halt and probably thousands of items held in waiting since March !

A whole mail order economy ground to a halt.

Fedex UPS etc all grounded from EU and UK ??

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Couriers are available, my comment was regards to Post Office Airmail services.

I just checked Royal Mail UK info site and last update 11th May? was they were restarting services to Thailand, but expect some delays was noted. Locally we're not having any problems here.

Edited by overherebc

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I just checked Royal Mail UK info site and last update 11th May? was they were restarting services to Thailand, but expect some delays was noted. Locally we're not having any problems here.

Where is HERE ?

5 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

The ban has kept us safe while other nations have had a rough time...why would I want to see someone from the UK, US, EU here where coronavirus is rampant and they are imprudently opening up businesses for profit and to hell with people's lives. STAY home please until Wave 2 comes roaring back.

Let see when they open the flood gate for the filth when thailand will be due for the second virus and the chicky will bring it back for sure and how many foriegnors will want to be around the filth 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JohnBZ said:

I can see why Thailand want to extend the foreign ban for another month as it wants to have a super clean image to the entire world.

But this comes at a terrible cost to the tourism industry and the entire Thai economy.

Foreign people will think twice about investing in Thailand or call it home:  who want to do that when you can not even go in when you need to?

All considered: I think risk is low.  Thailand can and should open NOW!

With most countries having quarantines on return, I doubt many would come if even borders were opened...only those stuck abroad at present. And Thailand surely would require some kind of quarantining so makes it even more unlikely...

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

With most countries having quarantines on return, I doubt many would come if even borders were opened...only those stuck abroad at present. And Thailand surely would require some kind of quarantining so makes it even more unlikely...

US are talking about resuming flights to China in late June.  A few other countries are talking about similar arrangements.  I think governments  ay late June will relax the quarantine requirements before more international flights are resumed.

hmmm - I flew out last week from BKK to AMS on a regular KLM flight...

No idea why HKT airport still closed - - - 

Edited by xcell
mistype

On 5/19/2020 at 9:18 PM, JohnBZ said:

US are talking about resuming flights to China in late June.  A few other countries are talking about similar arrangements.  I think governments  ay late June will relax the quarantine requirements before more international flights are resumed.

America are acting the ar#ehole about scheduling repatriation flights for Chinese students on National airlines so it looks like October before that will happen.

• Haha 1